Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with the OP. We rented a Mondeo 6 speed diesel a couple months ago in Europe. It was fantastic! I felt the same way about us not being able to get one here. It was not a small car at all. My family of 5 and all our gear easily fit in with plenty of room left over. It had good power, and easily went 90 mph with no problem. Gas mileage was very good over the 10 days we had it. I saw other cars I wish we could get here. I'm kind of sad about what is happening to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
No, you could get the new Ranger instead of an F150. The Ranger we won't be getting and is about the size of the early to mid 80's F150. And if a person has the money for a Shelby you could get it anywhere.

What's the point of that Ranger here then? Get an F150 that is oodles more capable for marginally more cost. My F150 tagged for $25,300ish ($22k from the factory) back in 2003 and even by today's money, it's still a way better deal than the loaded 2wd SuperCab Rangers I've seen tagging for $24,000 on dealer lots. I can't imagine the price on that newer Ranger and it making ONE IOTA of sense over here.

The Aussie F150 is actually a US F250 last I saw Ford's ozzie website some years back. Not too many of those trolling around from what I remember the price tag being, either.

I agree with the premise of the thread, though. The Sport Trac was a POS and even the Focus was a recycled generation-old Euro platform by the time the US got it...

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You can get a Shelby, or less intense Mustang, in the UK. You can also get a Camaro.

However, you can't get this in the US:

Or this:

The thing is that a lot of those little cars over there now have similar 0-60 times to most midsized sedans you'll get here, and the main gripe the OP had is that you can get midsized diesels with adequate performance and greatly-superior MPG over there that never make it over here.
the first car is hideous and i've seen plenty of old model skylines and even the newer gtr's. clubsportiva had the new ones for rental
edit- and when i was in france i thought all the cars were too small and ugly. those fiats/peugeots/renaults are all ugly

Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
What's the point of that Ranger here then? Get an F150 that is oodles more capable for marginally more cost. My F150 tagged for $25,300ish ($22k from the factory) back in 2003 and even by today's money, it's still a way better deal than the loaded 2wd SuperCab Rangers I've seen tagging for $24,000 on dealer lots. I can't imagine the price on that newer Ranger and it making ONE IOTA of sense over here.
The rest of the world gets a crew cab(4 real doors and a real back seat) along with an available diesel. A lot of people that buy f150's don't need a truck like that but want one any ways. The new global ranger makers more sense now then ever before, and we are not getting it.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
The new Ranger, and lots of other high MPG, well-made cars available overseas, would be a great fit for sensible people in the U.S. who need a truck but don't need one that is a mile wide. However, we have an all-time deficit of sensibility here.

Also, cars got wider as we got fatter.

Consumet ad infinitum!

Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
I live in rural England and have lived in Houston.

For the last year our daughter has been driving herself in her Toyota Aygo to school about twelve miles away in a nearby town. It suits her very well and on her commute of small roads, main road and then crawl across town and she gets over 50mpg (Imperial).

If we were back in Houston and she were commuting somewhere there's no way I'd let her drive such a car. She'd be a sitting duck for all the SUVs and pickups that career around that metropolis.

The point I'm making is that certain vehicles suit particular markets and though some are suitable both in the US and elsewhere, others do not.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Also, cars got wider as we got fatter.
No. Cars got fatter looking, just like us. The cars, however, are not wider than they used to be, unlike us.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:25 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if you want to blame someone for us not getting the same cars as what the europeans get, dont blame the automakers, blame the government and blame the people of THIS country who want the big SUVs and the big trucks instead of small diesel powered cars, and small trucks. i agree that many of the cars that they get in europe are more desirable in many ways, but the cars that sell here are the ones that the people here want.
Sometimes I think if I see one more obese person driving a big fat SUV I will get out of the car and scream at them.

LOSE WEIGHT. DRIVE SOMETHING SENSIBLE. What a waste of breath and stress that would be.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have to agree with the OP. We rented a Mondeo 6 speed diesel a couple months ago in Europe. It was fantastic! I felt the same way about us not being able to get one here. It was not a small car at all. My family of 5 and all our gear easily fit in with plenty of room left over. It had good power, and easily went 90 mph with no problem. Gas mileage was very good over the 10 days we had it. I saw other cars I wish we could get here. I'm kind of sad about what is happening to the US.
So we are like the Soviet Union used to be then. We are being limited by our government on what we can purchase and own? I don't know any other way to look at it.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So we are like the Soviet Union used to be then. We are being limited by our government on what we can purchase and own? I don't know any other way to look at it.

Yeaaahh.. Thats EXACTLY what it's like..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive