Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM

88 posts, read 687,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
I do not have any experience with the Bridgestones, BUT,

I have purchased the Michelin Primacy MXV4s from Costco on sale for two different cars and they are my favorite tires so far. They are quiet, smooth, durable and last forever. I never had a flat on either car wearing these tires. The tread wore evenly and after 60k miles were only half worn. Any other tire brand I have had was never this trouble free. I no longer own these cars but when the tires wear out on our new cars I will be buying Michelins.
I forgot to answer your question.

You should wait for the Michelins to go on sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:27 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwells3030 View Post
I forgot to answer your question.

You should wait for the Michelins to go on sale.
That is what I am going to do

Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, then when you factor in the free lifetime rotations, free lifetime rebalancing, and free Road Hazard Insurance, the Costco price advantage gets even better.
Costco's Road Hazard Insurance provides free lifetime puncture repair, and if the tire is not repairable--they give you a replacement tire--free.

I can recall being in their tire department when an elderly man came in with a badly-damaged tire from his Crown Vic.
After examining the tire, they informed him that it was not repairable. The old man then became visibly upset, and asked...How much will a replacement cost me?
When they told him that they were giving him a new tire at no cost, he said..Those Michelins are 6 years old, and you're going to give me a free replacement?
He was incredulous, and appeared to be on the verge of tears because he was so happy to be saving so much money.

Others may seem to come close to Costco's price, but after you factor in the extras that are included in the price, nobody can match their prices, IMHO.

If someone is looking for "cheap" tires, Costco is not the place to go.
But, if you are looking for very good prices on premium grade tires, they are the go-to tire retailer.

You are absolutely correct. That is why I like to buy my tires at Costco. You get a lot of freebies thrown in with the price of your tires. If you compare the cost of getting your cheap tires elsewhere, and then pay extra for lifetime balancing, road hazard, etc it costs more.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
This month Costco has tires on sale. They are offering $70 off the purchase of four tires and an additional $30 off installation making the total savings $100.

They quoted me $612 out the door (tax, installation, discounts, etc) on a set of four tires for my 2007 Nissan Altima.

It seems like Costco rotates between having Bridgestone and Michelin on sale. Should I wait until Michelin is on sale again?

Does anyone have any experience with Bridgestone Serenity?

I have had a lot better luck with the Bridgestone. I am able to get to the tire's rated mileage without much difficulty AND still have reasonable tread left.

I have had significant problems with the Michelin tires that I have had on my small and midsized vehicles. In general, I have had problems with dry rot on the sidewalls. I also find them to be louder than many other brands. In addition, I have had to replace them at 40,000 miles, not the 50-60,000 promised. Add that to the fact that you are paying a premium ...

Old 07-21-2012, 11:21 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I've had 7 sets of Michelins on a truck, 3 cars, and a motorcycle, and I've not had better tires. Given their generally higher price I would expect better performance, and they deliver. Can't comment on Bridgestone since I've never had them.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:05 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
This month Costco has tires on sale. They are offering $70 off the purchase of four tires and an additional $30 off installation making the total savings $100.

They quoted me $612 out the door (tax, installation, discounts, etc) on a set of four tires for my 2007 Nissan Altima.

It seems like Costco rotates between having Bridgestone and Michelin on sale. Should I wait until Michelin is on sale again?

Does anyone have any experience with Bridgestone Serenity?

FWIW, the tires are 215, 60, 16

I appreciate any feedback.

Doing a brief google search showed that the Bridgestone tires can be noisy.
Look them up on TireRack. Were these tires any good, then why would Bridgestone have to discount them? You pay for things one way or another.

The Altimas are pretty horribly loud, so you might want to look at the noise comfort ratings.

Typically you also pay a premium at costco. They do take care of tire buyers there pretty well, but you also pay a premium.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Michelin tires go on sale this week at Costco.

I am looking, and these three cost about the same.

Can anyone help me decide or make a recommendation?

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
Hi all,

I am looking for a set of cheap and relatively quiet tires with moderate handling capabililties. I am not too particular with the brand. Anyone can offer any good recommendations?Thank you.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche918spyder View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for a set of cheap and relatively quiet tires with moderate handling capabililties. I am not too particular with the brand. Anyone can offer any good recommendations?Thank you.
What kind of car, model, year? Where do you live?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
Hi,

I am driving a Hyundai Elantra model year 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive