Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I should post this under "Health" or "Automotive" but, I'll give it a try on both.

Yesterday, I was a small part of a very large car accident. A small coupe plowed into a Suburban, spun him in a clear 90*, through the intersection, into my car (which was stopped at the light), and then into a brick wall. After the cars stopped moving, the coupe began to smoke, then quickly became a large ball of fire with flames getting scarily close to the traffic lights before the fire truck finally got there and put it out.

Given my close proximity to the fire, and then, after the fire was over, I had to walk through the chemicals on the ground in the now rain (and in flip flops, no less) to get to the officer to exchange information, etc.... could it be possible that this rash I developed today on my face and neck are from the car accident? Since it began to rain very hard, my skin was completely covered (since I was in pants and a jacket) except my face and neck (which now have a rash), and my feet, which, immediately after the accident, began to burn (likely from the chemical rain water).

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm literally losing a limb, but would really like the burning on my skin to stop. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I don't know if I should post this under "Health" or "Automotive" but, I'll give it a try on both.

Yesterday, I was a small part of a very large car accident. A small coupe plowed into a Suburban, spun him in a clear 90*, through the intersection, into my car (which was stopped at the light), and then into a brick wall. After the cars stopped moving, the coupe began to smoke, then quickly became a large ball of fire with flames getting scarily close to the traffic lights before the fire truck finally got there and put it out.

Given my close proximity to the fire, and then, after the fire was over, I had to walk through the chemicals on the ground in the now rain (and in flip flops, no less) to get to the officer to exchange information, etc.... could it be possible that this rash I developed today on my face and neck are from the car accident? Since it began to rain very hard, my skin was completely covered (since I was in pants and a jacket) except my face and neck (which now have a rash), and my feet, which, immediately after the accident, began to burn (likely from the chemical rain water).

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm literally losing a limb, but would really like the burning on my skin to stop. Any suggestions?
I don't see how the rain would have brought chemicals from the ground to your face, but I'd call the fire department and express your concern with them. They can tell you if there is anything in the chemicals that would cause a rash. I doubt there is, because their people are in it frequently. Unless you're talking about chemicals being released from the burning vehicle. Even so, how much could be in the air after the fire was put out?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,645 times
If your air bags deployed, the powder may have caused a rash. Some people also get a rash from a stressful situation.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I don't see how the rain would have brought chemicals from the ground to your face, but I'd call the fire department and express your concern with them. They can tell you if there is anything in the chemicals that would cause a rash. I doubt there is, because their people are in it frequently. Unless you're talking about chemicals being released from the burning vehicle. Even so, how much could be in the air after the fire was put out?
I know that inhalation and skin absorption of chemicals can cause a rash (I know this from caring for people, as well as experiencing it myself previously). A better question might simply have been, how do I make it stop? I've tried every trick in the book I know, and nothing is working. I figured I'll just ride it out, but thought maybe someone that works on cars might have some experience with this and know a trick of the trade.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
What chemicals would those be? unless things have changes drastically in the last few years, fire departments don't use hazardous chemicals. For a car accident with fire I would imagine using foam do douse the flames, and kitty litter to contain any fuel/liquid leaks.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What chemicals would those be? unless things have changes drastically in the last few years, fire departments don't use hazardous chemicals. For a car accident with fire I would imagine using foam do douse the flames, and kitty litter to contain any fuel/liquid leaks.
Cars have chemicals in them, no? That is what was burning and in the air. That is what I was forced to stand in as is leaked out of the car onto the ground.

No foam was used. They put that ball of flames out with a water hose from a truck. No litter was used.

It doesn't sound like the folks on the automotive forum have as much knowledge with this as I assumed they would. I'll just ride it out. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post

You have a rash and burning skin and you have to come on the internet and ask if you should see a doctor?

Here's your sign.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:37 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
of course the foam they use has dangers.. http://www.haifire.com/Resources/pub...ting_Foams.pdf

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,447 times
Not to belabor the obvious, but ???
There are so many possibilities - what was in the cars/SUV? Was there something on the ground?
FWIW, it seems (opinion here, nothing more) to me that you're looking for some "magic bullit" from the burning automobile, and there isn't one. Without knowing what the "coupe" was, there's no way to be certain, but realize that there are no especially noxious flammable materials in a modern automobile. The seats, carpets, liners, etc. are all made from fairly inert/low emissions products, and the various fluids (except for fuel & coolant) burn off quite rapidly. Smells bad, but won't cause any lasting effects.
Perhaps there was a good deal of poison ivy in the area? Who knows?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You have a rash and burning skin and you have to come on the internet and ask if you should see a doctor?

Here's your sign.

Oh good grief people. I never asked if I should see a doctor. Please read my post again. I was asking if someone knew of a treatment I could do without going to see a doctor. I've tried all the remedies I know, and none of them are working. It was a simple question. If you don't have an answer, why bother posting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive