Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Had a week long work assignment in Germany that I just came back from. The first weekend I was there, I had the opportunity to go up to the Nurburgring which I had always been wanting to do. For anyone on this forum who's a "car lover", Germany is a MUST DO trip. I'm willing to say the driving experience while I was in country was fantastic, even the "limited" spots of the autobahn seemed intelligently planned and considered. The unrestricted portions were absolutely fantastic, and simply a dream come true. I've got photos from the ring linked on my VW forum, if anyone is interested in seeing the pics, they're located here.

I thought about reserving a car for the ring (using your rental will get you banned from Hertz, Alamo, National, etc...) but read online that you can normally bum a ride, or pay someone for an empty seat in their car. And for a person who's never been on the ring, it's often more enjoyable and less stressful to ride as opposed to driving it your first time. I was lucky enough to be offered a ride by a gentleman in his Mercedes Benz C63 AMG. The car was REMARKABLE, and the experience was possibly the most intense vehicular experience I've ever had, save a couple aircraft flights. Hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and if you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:44 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
Sure, rub it in!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
I am going to Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium soon (Belgian F1 GP). Maybe I should take a detour to Nürburgring? I have never been there yet.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
I know a guy that ran the balls off a rented minivan on the "ring" about 10 years ago......he wanted to run it but had rented the van for the group he was with at the time. Kenny prefers AMG cars or Vipers for stateside modes of transport but made the van work at the time!

Cool pics BTW!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:55 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,111 times
For anyone that gets a chance taking a car around the Nurgburgring is a must. I've done it a couple of times and managed to take a bike around too.

Like 'Flynavyj' said if you turn up without a car and hang around in the scrutineering paddock you can quite often get a trip around for a small fee or for free. You often get people that take others around for a living in some pretty good cars (loads of 911s and M5s and M3s). If you can get a local or at least a German driver that has been around before.

P.S. Is it just me or are the pictures no longer up?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM

633 posts, read 1,734,962 times
The "Green Hell" ( Grüne Hölle in german) is the long distance race track on the Nürburgring. There is a small track for the Formula 1, and the long (called: Nordschleife) Nordschleife is a lot of fun, really, i drove it with my motorbike on two weekends. But be careful if you drive the Nordschleife. Many dead people. On sundays the Nordschleife is open to public, open to everybody. But it`s dangerous if you are on the road with a fast car, it may be that there are some people driving with slow speed, which stop for pictures...

Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieGermany View Post
The "Green Hell" ( Grüne Hölle in german) is the long distance race track on the Nürburgring. There is a small track for the Formula 1, and the long (called: Nordschleife) Nordschleife is a lot of fun, really, i drove it with my motorbike on two weekends. But be careful if you drive the Nordschleife. Many dead people. On sundays the Nordschleife is open to public, open to everybody. But it`s dangerous if you are on the road with a fast car, it may be that there are some people driving with slow speed, which stop for pictures...
That's very true. It's famed for it twists and turns as well as it's fast straights (and fast curves) for a reason. The track is for large parts tree lined and coming around a corner doing 3x the speed of the car/bike that's appeared 50m infront is a truly horrifying moment.

It's not a place to go for a laugh, it is without a doubt a great place but you really need to think about it too.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times
I'll check photos again once I get home, worst case, i'll repost here.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM

886 posts, read 5,714,870 times
I was stationed in Germany for 3 years and spent many weekends at the ring!! I would take my GSXR down there and not leave till I needed a new rear tire! A few times the German family that I rented a house from would let me take their Audi TT to the track for some laps!

I really miss that place!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 AM

13 posts, read 27,382 times
It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit at the Nürburgring. I live near to the track (about 40 miles north) and come visit it on good weather days. I'd agree that it is THE destination for "car lovers".
About the Autobahn, yeah it can be pretty nice but the government is limiting more and more parts to a fixed speed of 130 km/h or less and sometimes it's really annoying to have an empty huge part with 3-4 lanes in one direction (yes, that's huge for German standards :P) limited to 120 or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive