Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

I cannot get it to do it again.

It is not the carb, since it does not have one.

Tugging on the mat was the first thing I did. It was forward a bit, but it was not bunched up at all. Not impossible, but not likely, the mat was flat on the floor. Plus I am not sure why the acceleration would drop back down when I kicked the gas pedal if it was the mat. Plus the mat is likely to make it stay at the level I pressed the pedal to, but not likely to push it up higher (possible, but pretty unlikely)

I am a bit doubtful about a stuck cable or linkage because it continued to increase acceleration. It if was stuck, it would have simply maintained the level of acceleration, but it continued to accelerate more and more rapidly (thus I was doing 95 in only a few seconds).

What is an optispark? I will look it up. Sounds like you are saying it is expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Throttle Position Sensor sounds like its goofed up, something funky with the cruise control or the throttle cable got stuck inside its sheath. Because you mentioned an exponential rise in acceleration I would take the TPS off and sweep it with a multimeter hooked up to make sure its working properly. I would check the throttle body and make sure the throttle valve is not surrounded by gunk on the body (very likely). It's not the optispark, thats just a flat distributor, nothing exotic. Also there is nothing inherently wrong with the design of the optispark, its just in a bad location and will possibly fail if your water pump starts to weep.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM

176 posts, read 420,278 times
Default Motor mounts

It is probably mot likely but I would make sure the motor mounts and transmission mounts are not letting the engine move so far it is binding or interfering with acceleration.
Depending on if the took the tranny out the bottom or pulled the motor to get at the throw out bearing,they did move mounts around and possibly did have to mess with the accelerator connections. So it could have to do with what was just worked on on your car.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Are you willing to bet your life on that ?

I hope I'm not on the road around you if it happens again !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am a bit doubtful about a stuck cable or linkage.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Yeh, i'd vote for sticking cable. Had it happen on my 3rd gen F-body in the past, never let it get to the point yours did, I simply stomped the gas pedal again and it dislodged...my buddies old 68 Charger has done that in the past too, can be a bit unnerving if you need to make an unexpected stop but if you're driving semi-sensible it's just a "dangerous inconvenience".

I'd lubricate the cable and pedal mounting points, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that and "testing" it, i'd take it to a professional and have it done. It should DEFINITELY be addressed!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Are you willing to bet your life on that ?

I hope I'm not on the road around you if it happens again !
Relly is not a big deal, just push in the clutch. However it could blow the engine. I am not about to start randomly replacing things that are in almost certainty not the problem.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Yeh, i'd vote for sticking cable. Had it happen on my 3rd gen F-body in the past, never let it get to the point yours did, I simply stomped the gas pedal again and it dislodged...my buddies old 68 Charger has done that in the past too, can be a bit unnerving if you need to make an unexpected stop but if you're driving semi-sensible it's just a "dangerous inconvenience".

I'd lubricate the cable and pedal mounting points, and if you don't feel comfortable doing that and "testing" it, i'd take it to a professional and have it done. It should DEFINITELY be addressed!
I did nto notice it until I was up to about 65 or 70 and backed off the pedal. By the time I realized it was still accelerating and reacted, it was at 95. No other cars in front of me or a long way. I would not have been accelerating rapidly if there were. It was not really dangerous, just a bit scary and frustrating.

It will not do it again. I will probably take it in and have some things checked out, but if it will not do it again, they will just say it was the floor mat and call it a day. I will have the throttle body checked out. That soulds likely. Sticking cable not at all likely. That does nto cause a continuing increase in acceleration.

What worries me more is that my 16 year old son drives this car sometimes. I guess not any more until I figure this out.

I lookd up the optispark thing. Those break, but they do not cause this. However I liked the northstar type replacement system. Supposedly costs little and is easy to instal, I might do that eventually.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:08 PM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is probably unrelated ot the work,
What makes you think that?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,907 times
I was waiting to see if you confirmed the continued acceleration comment, as a stuck throttle will allow acceleration only to the sticking point - it won't cause further acceleration. Given the year & model I'll go w/one of my original 3: vacuum leak (unlikely, but possible), bad TPS (possible), or optispark. While it's true the opti is the LT1 crowd's favorite whipping boy, the list of possible symptoms is (nearly) endless, and includes out of control acceleration as one of it's myriad issues (along w/chugging, stalling, sticking @ one RPM, and more, more, more...). I'd have a good local shop take a look & test it out, and yes, it'll cost you. Bummer.
Best of luck.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,675,395 times
Since horsepower goes up as revs increase (to the point where it can't flow enough air/fuel to make any more HP), you might have perceived that the rate of acceleration increased (and indeed it probably did) even if the throttle stayed in the same position.

I'm going to have to go with a sticky cable, a sticky/gummed-up throttle body, or some other physical cause that kept the throttle body from closing on its own. Maybe a weak/broken return spring in combination with a cable and throttle plate that don't move as smoothly as they once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive