Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Update:

YES, the oil change is what caused the problem. Not the changing of the oil itself, but the idiot mechanic who left a large tool in my engine compartment, slammed the hood shut, and caused the hood to be misaligned to the point where the rubber bumpers would not line up properly on the sensors.

I took the car to a local mechanic/auto shop who was highly recommended by others living in the area. I was in and out in five minutes and he didn't even charge me for the repair. I'll definitely be using THEM for oil changes and inspections from now on.

The windshield wiper line was also clogged but seemed to unclog itself after a while.
Hate to say it but this is pretty typical for "quicky lube" outfits. When you hire cheap help and push them to work fast at a job they barely understand, well, you get errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Consider yourself lucky that it wasn't worse. MUCH worse. A very quick search on the net will reveal an uncountable number of horror stories by people that went to the quick lube shops/chains for a simple oil change but instead got stuck with expensive repair bills or ruined transmissions or engines. Youtube has videos and investigative reports on them as well. I would never, ever take my car to such a place. I find it cheaper, and better for my peace of mind, to just change the oil myself. But before I did it myself, I had my local, trusted mechanic do it. Only problem there was sometimes it took a while for them to get it done.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Its not useless at all. Knowing how to do something yourself, knowing how something works, would stop many people from asking things like this.

Is the op's question stupid, no. But if they knew how simple an oil change is they would possibly not have had to ask it in the first place. Might even feel better about themselves having been able to do something for their self instead of having to rely on someone else.

Being that they mentioned an "internal filter", its mostly like a V6 not the 4cyl that uses a standard oil filter.
On the V6 you simply do the following:

-Remove 17mm drain plug from oil pan, drain old oil.
-Remove 6 10mm retaining bolts to remove the top engine cover.
-Open the oil filter housing by hand and replace the filter element.
-Replace the 2 rubber o rings on the filter cap.
-Tighten the filter housing cap by hand.
-Replace the engine cover and 6 retaining bolts.
-Fill with 4quarts of oil.
-Run engine for a few minutes, check fluid level. Fill remaining oil until it reads about half way on the dipstick indicator.
-Done.
Yeah, but one learns how to do things by asking others. Thus, if an individual is still uncomfortable with doing something, he/she has every right to continue going to a "professional".

Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I DONT trust any oil change businesses. I change my oil & filer myself & my car was lubed last month by a relative. My next oil change is due in about 1000 miles. I change my oil every 3k miles on my 27 y/o car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive