Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,168 times

Advertisements

I'm starting side-work tommorow. I need a way to make customers come to me. I was thinking of "luring" them in with an oil change similiar to how other places do (aftermarket chains, dealerships) so they will take their cars to me for work instead of ripoff places like dealerships.

I was thinking of having the customer buy his own oil filter or oil...and then I would change him/her about 6$

Again this price point is pretty essential because they would basically take their car to me after I change their oil seeing as they will get a dealership tech without the dealership cost.

What do you think is a fair price point.

I was also thinking of doing package deals. Like 13$ Oil change, Full Inspection, Wash and Vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:34 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I'm starting side-work tommorow.
You probably should have been thinking about this question before now lol

Quote:
I was thinking of having the customer buy his own oil filter or oil...and then I would change him/her about 6$
Meh.....alot of the people who go somewhere for an oil change do so becasue they don't know what they're doing, and don't care to. Liable to come back with the wrong filter and wrong oil. I don't think they'll want to pick out their own products in one place, and then bring it to another, when the place they bought the stuff probably could have done the change right there and then.

Quote:
I was also thinking of doing package deals. Like 13$ Oil change, Full Inspection, Wash and Vacuum.
I think that sounds good....doing a package. But for an oil change (including product), an inspection, a wash and vacuum......all by one guy (I assume), I think you could bump it up to $25 at least. That's still a great deal.

Now, if you are doing it by yourself, how are you going to get all that done in a reasonable amount of time so that others don't have to wait too long and drive away?

Good idea though. I'm certainly not knocking it.

Are you in a visible, high traffic location?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,015,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
You probably should have been thinking about this question before now lol

Meh.....alot of the people who go somewhere for an oil change do so becasue they don't know what they're doing, and don't care to. Liable to come back with the wrong filter and wrong oil. I don't think they'll want to pick out their own products in one place, and then bring it to another, when the place they bought the stuff probably could have done the change right there and then.

I think that sounds good....doing a package. But for an oil change (including product), an inspection, a wash and vacuum......all by one guy (I assume), I think you could bump it up to $25 at least. That's still a great deal.

Now, if you are doing it by yourself, how are you going to get all that done in a reasonable amount of time so that others don't have to wait too long and drive away?

Good idea though. I'm certainly not knocking it.

Are you in a visible, high traffic location?

Yeah; I live off a main road so its fairly busy.I'm using my garage outside.

I could always tell the customer what oil to get. But that may turn out to be a hassle for some people...but my target market are people who are barely holding onto their cars so they may not have a choice.

The struggling single mothers, the guy who just got laid off, minimum wage workers..etc. etc..

I'm pretty sure saving themselves 10-15$ will be worth the hassle.

The problem is that I'm not sure if I should store a little supply of oil ( like 4 or 5 gallons of of each grade of oil) or invest money in oil. There will be too many types of cars I would be dealing with so I won't have the oil available.

I don't mind dong a low price point..I'm just concerned with recruiting customers.

I think 20$ is more reasonable.
My other services will still be a bargain, professionally executed but I will make some profit out of it.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Most professionals around here are running $39, a few have $29 specials. Adding in other services to the oil change you really should get a bit more. I agree with $20.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,220 times
First off put up a HUGE sign......

"Quakersh*t NOT used here"!

$6 seems very fair for doing the work. Most 5 qt cars will take less than 30 minutes if you can get them up on drive up ramps. I'd also HIGHLY stress they are buying better oil and a better filter and getting more for their money than the quick lube joint down the street using dinosaur sludge and a cheap tampon filter!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM

You can also offer....

Red Line Synthetic Oil

Royal Purple - Synthetic Oil and Performance Lubricants

Mobil 1â„¢ Synthetic Oil | Official US Site

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7050795

Those douchebags down at the local quick lube never even heard of any of them before.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I think perhaps the OP is unestimating running small business with laws and liabilty.Everyone has to learn :I guess.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
First off put up a HUGE sign......

"Quakersh*t NOT used here"!
We also don't strip out drain plugs, knock the corners off because we can't read fractions, over/under fill, leave oil filters loose so they leak, lube the seals so it doesn't leak, knock off wiring or plugs with our hamfists....scratch up hoods and fenders because our beer guts are too big with our belt buckles and trucker chain driven wallets.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM

$6 to $10 per oil change with their materials.

20% - 30% mark up with yours.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM

This is still the best conventional oil out......

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6030785
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive