Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:44 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times

Advertisements

So guys, I believe I have narrowed it down to these two as contenders for my next vehicle. A while back I posted this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/autom...d-vehicle.html and got some good advice.

Specifically, I'm trying to keep things under $15K and under 100k miles and it seems like that'll put me in the 05-07 range or ealier for the particular models I'm interested in(V6, access or crew cabs, 4WD nice but not mandatory, Nismo and maybe TRD seem doable). Nissan seems to be be a little less expensive for basically the same truck and I've heard they are pretty well matched up as far as performance and reliability.

So do any of you guys have personal experience with these models and any recommendations/advice?

'preciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
That kinda money will get you a decent full sized, but if your looking for a smaller truck, I would go with the Tacoma

Old 09-02-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That kinda money will get you a decent full sized, but if your looking for a smaller truck, I would go with the Tacoma
Good point, I kinda like the mid-sized trucks better though. Partially because I hate driving huge vehicles because I suck at it and partially due to a little better gas mileage.

The Tacoma is a nice looking truck, but it just seems expensive as all get out.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 PM

96 posts, read 350,456 times
I was faced with this same decision about 2 years ago. I thought I preferred a Tacoma, but the premium over the Frontier was not worth it to me. I ended up buying a 2003 Frontier with 125K miles. It now has 135K miles and I haven't had any problems with it other than the A/C hose sprung a leak this past spring and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I'm very satisfied with the truck.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Taco... but get some Hilux badges so you don't stick out so much in Burkina Faso.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
I was faced with this same decision about 2 years ago. I thought I preferred a Tacoma, but the premium over the Frontier was not worth it to me. I ended up buying a 2003 Frontier with 125K miles. It now has 135K miles and I haven't had any problems with it other than the A/C hose sprung a leak this past spring and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I'm very satisfied with the truck.
That's my big issue with the Tacoma. They seem to be quite a bit more expensive than equivalent Frontiers and I've seen several comparison reviews slightly favoring the Frontier. I think the TRD Sport Tacoma is very sharp looking but I'm not the type of guy to spend several thousand more dollars for looks. And besides, I don't think the Frontier is a bad looking truck either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Taco... but get some Hilux badges so you don't stick out so much in Burkina Faso.
Heh, I'll keep that in mind. It'll be my luck to get stuck in Djibouti.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
The Taco is the politically correct answer, but it's also the wrong one. There's nothing that the Taco does that the Frontier doesn't.... except ********* on the price and maintenance. The Taco has no elite technologies, no banners to wave, just the ever popular Toyota name. If your looking at used and a recent model, the bed is plastic and if it breaks, it's not a warrantable item, even when new. And yes, they break all too often. The Frontier on the other hand has the 4.0 V6 available and that engine has been on the Wards Ten Best engines for years now. It coupled to the same transmission that is bolted to the 5.6 V8 in the Titan. I doubt you can tear one up. The biggest issue I see you having is finding a used Frontier. Once folks have them they don't get rid of them. There's an obvious reason- it's the best mid-sized truck in the US.

Now you'll get to hear from the Toyota fanboys but I doubt any will have any real specifics to say why they think the Taco is better. It's because they say so....period.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
As the owner of a TRD Taco I can tell you that they are great trucks. I bought mine new in 2000 and I've been beating the snot out of it every way I can think of since with ZERO problems.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
If you are looking at crew cabs or king cabs, the Toyota is the way to go. The Nissan rear seating is basically non-existent, you couldn't fit a child back there comfortably let alone an adult. Otherwise, the Frontier is an excellent truck for the money. You can't go wrong with either one.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
My 1993 Nissan Hardbody has given me nineteen years of EXCELLENT service. Too bad no one makes that size truck anymore. I won't be buying another pickup if my Nissan ever wears out because even the Frontier and Tacoma are now way too big and thirsty.

I am an avid do it yourselfer, and my little truck gets loaded up with stuff from Lowes or Home Depot regularly. I have NEVER wished for or needed a larger truck. I will probably get a little hatchback or wagon in the future, and if I ever need to haul something bigger than it can carry, rent a truck. Gas is too expensive to waste.

If I NEEDED a pickup today, though I would buy a Tacoma. Toyota quality is not a myth, and Tacomas still come in single cab models. Nissan quality and durability, while still good, is not what it used to be in 1993. Nissan offers only extended cab trucks. The king cab and crew cab just add weight, length and expense to a pickup truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive