Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,017,698 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people blame car manufacturers when their car kicks the bucket instead of themselves.
I don't have a problem with people basically destroying their cars..I have a problem with them destroying the name of the car because they do not know how to properly maintain their car.

Iunderstand when customers don't understand something about a car because its my job but when they constantly say " ever since I got this car its been nothing but trouble" when they don't take care of their vehicle its like hearing nails on a chalkboard. This is came from a lady who fails to acknowledge that her transmission fluid needs to be changed.

Everday peoples priorities are screwed up when it comes to taking care of their vehicle.
One lady wanted a headlight restoration but her brake fluid and power steering fluid looked like black coffee.
Another lady was told that her control arms were pretty much done.
Of course they blamed it on the manufacturer when they started having problems.

Jeep screwed up this and acura screwed up that

What really pisses me off is after we warn them about their vehicle like a lady with her bald tires and car battery they have the nerve to come back on a tow truck and target us the techs like we screwed up their cars...

I also hate the guys who think they are techs and tell me what to look for on their car.

This one kid comes in with a n 07 acura tl. The car requires 17 inch tires...the guy has 19's and 500lb rims on his car.. as well as a bad lower ball joint, bad wheel bearings...and completely destroyed endlink but thats another story. At least he's "blinging" So he tells are service advisor to check his drive belts....which are brand new btw..He thinks the noise is coming from his belt and actually argued with are service advisor..until we brought the master tech out to the shop and showed him.

Then people have the nerve to tell me. Oh you drive a volkswagen passat. Those cars are crap a buddy of mine own one it caught on fire or the engine crapped out or blah blah. I have had my passat for 30K and not a single problem because I did the research and constantly maintain my car.

Sheesh freaking people man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I don't understand why people blame car manufacturers when their car kicks the bucket instead of themselves.
I don't have a problem with people basically destroying their cars..I have a problem with them destroying the name of the car because they do not know how to properly maintain their car.

Iunderstand when customers don't understand something about a car because its my job but when they constantly say " ever since I got this car its been nothing but trouble" when they don't take care of their vehicle its like hearing nails on a chalkboard. This is came from a lady who fails to acknowledge that her transmission fluid needs to be changed.

Everday peoples priorities are screwed up when it comes to taking care of their vehicle.
One lady wanted a headlight restoration but her brake fluid and power steering fluid looked like black coffee.

What really pisses me off is after we warn them about their vehicle like a lady with her bald tires and car battery they have the nerve to come back on a tow truck and target us the techs like we screwed up their cars...

I also hate the guys who think they are techs and tell me what to look for on their car.

This one kid comes in with a n 07 acura tl. The car requires 17 inch tires...the guy has 19's and 500lb rims on his car.. as well as a bad lower ball joint, bad wheel bearings...and completely destroyed endlink but thats another story. At least he's "blinging" So he tells are service advisor to check his drive belts....which are brand new btw..He thinks the noise is coming from his belt and actually argued with are service advisor..until we brought the master tech out to the shop and showed him.

Then people have the nerve to tell me. Oh you drive a volkswagen passat. Those cars are crap a buddy of mine own one it caught on fire or the engine crapped out or blah blah. I have had my passat for 30K and not a single problem because I did the research and constantly maintain my car.

I know what you mean. I'm in another service business myself. People abuse their equipment then complain when it fails. Worse yet when it's not running or working. You trouble shoot and find the cause and show/tell them. They want to ask you "are you sure it needs that part...it was working fine?" Um..uh no it wasn't! That leads to yet another problem. People know darn good and well the thing is busted or has a problem. When they call they say nothing of it. Our service writer asked them if everything is ok? They say yes...they just need "a service". Well...they need a hell of a lot more than that. Not only could you have saved time not having to just stumble upon it...you wouldn't have screwed up our day and schedule to do added repairs not mentioned putting you further behind folks who were honest and forthcoming. I think they think the bill goes up if they tell the truth or something. Um..NO...it's still busted and needs the repair you jackass!

In todays day and age people expect to buy mechanical things that never need repair or to maintain anything. They act as though they are shocked when it takes a dump. Nothing mechanical last forever and never needs parts or repair. Stuff wears out from use. Does your damn cell phone glued to your ear last forever? Sheesh!

Don't bash the pruduct if you abused it or didn't take care of it. It counts against a quality products reputation because they so happen to leave out the minor "detail" of beating the hell out of it and never having it looked at or worked on. Other folks don't ask, they just see the bad rep and run with the idea the product isn't any good.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Why do people blame the car manufacturers when their cars end up a tow truck instead of themselves being neglectful?

Judging by another thread in this sub-forum, I reckon its because a lot of people seem to think that conventional engine oil can last up to 18,000 kms before needing to be changed.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post

I get grief the other way around, I am female and I know my veicles inside and out and I can tell you every creak and noise that has been there since I had the vehicle and which noise is new. So when I go to a tech and tell them that this area has this noise that sounds like "swoooshie" he looks at me like I have lost my mind. My vehicles are maintained properly all the way around from the fluids and belts to the tires and rims and no less than 1/2 full of gasoline at any given moment and usually full and all of my lights and turn signals work because they are checked often so when a light or turn signal goes out it is changed within a couple of hours of going out.

I do understand your frustration but I get just as frustrated when I can tell you what area has something wrong with it and you want to tell me that I have no idea what I am talking about, there is no problem or the problem is at the other end of the vehicle. Just to find out later after you have done your "technical search" and found that I was actually right but you would not dare admit that I was right and you still treat me like an idiot.

*** When I say YOU I do not mean YOU personally, the word is only used in reference to those I had been dealing with regarding the vehicle maintenance issue.***

Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
the answer to all these issues is, people in general are stupid. they have no clue about how things work, or what needs to be done to keep them working, and those that do assume all too often that they know more than the car owner does.

so i guess stupidity combined with arrogance and a complete lack of customer service ability means that people just dont listen.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,535 times
The same thing can be said for jerry rigging or not fixing something right the first time. Putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound if you will. Brake pads changed without rotors is a good one. No duh, the surface is grooved and warped to no end. Those fresh pads will be toast in no time. Adding rims and tires that are way oversized seems to be a popular trend among young folks these days. Don't you know the vehicles suspension was never designed for "big 'o 24 fos"! That is hard on the CV joints, spindles, A arms, tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm and end links. Could be hard on the shocks too. Many install fart cannons on the exhaust. They remove emissions equipment while doing so. That may make the engine run in a lean condition if it isn't retuned and or recalibrated. The O2 sensors and check engine light don't tell lies. Something is wrong or out of spec. Buy wisely, not everything is intended for on road use. You used to have blown intake gaskets and head gaskets because someone mixed the green with the red antifreeze at some point in time without flushing and converting it properly. The list goes on and on here.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Why do people blame the car manufacturers when their cars end up a tow truck instead of themselves being neglectful?

Judging by another thread in this sub-forum, I reckon its because a lot of people seem to think that conventional engine oil can last up to 18,000 kms before needing to be changed.
That is surely one major factor relating to this problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the answer to all these issues is, people in general are stupid. they have no clue about how things work, or what needs to be done to keep them working, and those that do assume all too often that they know more than the car owner does.
That is another factor...

However, I think that the overarching factor is...failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

For quite a few years, we have had an drastic increase in the percentage of people in The US (perhaps in other countries as well...) who just cannot seem to accept responsibility for their own actions or inactions. So...even though they get a carefully laid-out maintenance schedule in their glove compartment when they buy their car, they seem to have no idea about how to maintain it. And, if a mechanic dares to point out that the car has not been maintained properly, the usual reaction is to call the mechanic a charlatan, or a thief, or a con-artist, or...God only knows what else.

I was raised to assume responsibility for my actions, but based on what I observe on a daily basis, it seems that not many people were raised this way. For most folks, every problem that befalls them (car-related or not car-related) is the fault of somebody else.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 PM

560 posts, read 581,679 times
I have to agree that proper car maintanance can really enhance the life of a car. I took auto shop in high school and know many of the basics. That said, I wonder just how accurate "reliability" scores are given in such publications as consumer reports. Is it because some cars are built more crappier than others, or should the consumer take up some of the blame due to negligence. Anyone who works at a shop or dealer, lets here your opinion.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:45 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
However, I think that the overarching factor is...failure to accept responsibility for one's own actions.

For quite a few years, we have had an drastic increase in the percentage of people in The US (perhaps in other countries as well...) who just cannot seem to accept responsibility for their own actions or inactions. So...even though they get a carefully laid-out maintenance schedule in their glove compartment when they buy their car, they seem to have no idea about how to maintain it. And, if a mechanic dares to point out that the car has not been maintained properly, the usual reaction is to call the mechanic a charlatan, or a thief, or a con-artist, or...God only knows what else.
I once read a post from a guy who took a new F150, did some engine modifications with after market parts and put a programmable chip on it to override the trucks computer. He ended up putting a piston rod through his engine block and ranting about how Ford ripped him off because the truck was "a total POS." When it was pointed out to him that the mods he did caused the engine to push more HP and RPMs than the truck was engineered to handle, his response was "but they do it on NASCAR!" and then asked the forum if Ford could tell if he put a new computer in it so they couldn't tell he voided the warranty by chipping the original one.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Or you might buy a vehicle new off the lot and have a catastrophic transmission failure at 60K, or lower intake manifold gaskets at 80K, with no abuse and the schedule doesnt call for tranny fluid change until 100K and a LIM gasket change ever. Some *cough GM* vehicles are just crap. You can't maintain quality into a vehicle if it isn't there to begine with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive