Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a 2005 Dodge Neon. The windshield looks like the windshield wipers have had a very fine grit sandpaper attached to them all these years.

The scratches are hardly noticeable - until night time. My vision gets very blurry. I'm assuming that these scratches are from a fine dust of some sort and are not gouges. So my question is, is there any product out there that can treat these types of scratches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Some of the "glass wax" type products can minimize the scratches a little bit ... depends upon the severity of the surface. It's not very practical to polish the windshield out with abrasives to an optically smooth surface again.

But it's not that expensive to replace this windshield with a new one which eliminates the problem completely. If it's the original windshield, you've done well to have it last this long. Should be well under $200, installed ....

Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
I had a thread up on this a couple weeks ago. From my research it looks like Diamondite is one of the better products available to do this. I have seen pictures on a few forums where people had successfully removed micro scratches and watermarks using this product. From what I saw through the pictures, the glass looked new. The most important part of the process is the buffing technique; you have go through a series of product application and alternating spin speeds, all the while ensuring that you don’t overheat the glass. If it gets too hot you will alter the structure of the windshield and distort the optics… people commonly associate the distortion to that of a “fun house” mirror.

As a temporary measure, I have applied car wax to the windshield. Works great. Not only did it mitigate the scratches but it also serves as a water repellent. Your results will vary depending on the wax. Again it is temporary... to truly renew the glass you have to planarize the surface and remove mineral deposits.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
I've tried several things over the years on several vehicles and have found the most effective solution is to replace the windshield... given the time, effort, and materials I've tried it is probably the cheapest as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I had a thread up on this a couple weeks ago. From my research it looks like Diamondite is one of the better products available to do this. I have seen pictures on a few forums where people had successfully removed micro scratches and watermarks using this product. From what I saw through the pictures, the glass looked new. The most important part of the process is the buffing technique; you have go through a series of product application and alternating spin speeds, all the while ensuring that you don’t overheat the glass. If it gets too hot you will alter the structure of the windshield and distort the optics… people commonly associate the distortion to that of a “fun house” mirror.

As a temporary measure, I have applied car wax to the windshield. Works great. Not only did it mitigate the scratches but it also serves as a water repellent. Your results will vary depending on the wax. Again it is temporary... to truly renew the glass you have to planarize the surface and remove mineral deposits.
Perhaps this?

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...out-there.html

Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,224,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Good idea

However I would be cautious as the compound contains silicate. This may cause further damage as it is just as hard as the soda lime glass.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:34 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Depends on the scratches, but you can use clay bar, or jewellers' rouge.

You can also use cutting polish, in the UK we call it "T-cut", but I don't know what it would be called in the US.
You can use car polish on a windshield, but it's not really recommended as it can make the wipers smear and obscure view.

I have also heard of people using toothpaste, but I've never tried that one..

Essentially, anything which is very slightly abrasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive