Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times

Advertisements

Either that or your prices are way out of whack.

Any carwash around here will buff out the fog on headlights and make them as good as new for $50-60. Just had it done myself in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Either that or your prices are way out of whack.

Any carwash around here will buff out the fog on headlights and make them as good as new for $50-60. Just had it done myself in the spring.
This was the price of an auto repair shop, not a car wash.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:39 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Yes, priorities. My son's hockey coach always drove either a Cadillac, a Hummer or a fancy pick up with a lift kit ect. I always thought he was rich.

Then one day I find out he's getting foreclosed on at his house and the city condemned it the same day because he had no utility service (didn't pay the bill).

I used to do service work in peoples homes years ago. I'll never forget this fancy house I was at. 5 million+ dollar home so these people were not pretenders. I was checking for a gas leak in there and had to go in the garage to check their garage furnace.

Do you know what they drove? 5 car garage and they had a Toyota Corolla, a Dodge Minivan and a VW Golf.

The woman was packing a picnic lunch. I asked her if they were going on a picnic or something? Turns out they were going to the zoo. She told me they don't believe in wasting money on eating out.

That blew me away and I changed the way I handle my finances from that day (approx 1995). It really helped me to see that perspective.

I could afford to buy and pay cash for any new car I want, but I refuse to pay more than 20K out of my pocket for a car. I've been leasing these Nissan Rogues for my last 2 vehicles. Very efficient and the lease is very reasonable.

I guess if I was independently wealthy and had absolutely nothing to do with my money I would buy the biggest, baddest BMW but otherwise I wouldn't waste money on glitzy junk.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I always want to mod my cars but I can never justify blowing that much money at once into parts.

The most I spent on any one aftermarket part was $350 for a header...and that was 10 years ago.

There's lots of things I'd like to do now to my car, but I don't want to chance ruining the warranty and plus a lot of the substantial mods are $500+ and I just don't have that kind of disposable income, or rather, I'd want to use the money for something else.

More on topic, I refinished my headlights myself with some wet sanding, polishing and waxing. They got a bit cloudy a year later and I just used some polish and they were new again. Total cost was about $20-$25.

Priorities for me are obvious, but looking cool and getting what they want are more important for some people than boring maintenance no matter the cost.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I still have one on my car. I am not sure how to get it off. I think they put a hole thrugh the windshield so if I remove the antenna, I will have a hole. I cannot tell for sure but therer is some sort of fastener ont he inside as wella s the antenna base on the outside. It can be my sons problem. I will give him the car in a couple of years.
No holes. The antenna transmits through the glass into the little box on the inside of the car. Double stick tape and maybe some caulk. Use a putty knife or razor blade to work your way under both sides.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Some people value style over substance. When I was around car audio shops, I saw it every day. Rust flaking off the frame when the bass hits. Holes in sheetmetal. Ripped up interiors.
Quote:
Those are funny, sometimes.

Her: "We ain got fo dis!!"

Him: "My grillz I only gots one mo muntly."

Her: "Den get it. (smiles) Dat **** hit."

=

Her: "We don't have the money for this, and we have other obligations to manage before we spend money on frivolous additions to our nearly junk vehicle."

Him: "I only have to make one more monthly payment on my gold teeth, before they are paid off."

Her: "Well if we've satisfied our other important financial obligations I'm agreeable to incurring another debt for something we don't need. That subwoofer system we listened to really pounded hard."

I may have paraphrased just a bit.

The bolded and the above quoted will have me laughing all day. My car is in the shop right now being worked on....who knows the damage to my pocket book. My inexpensive, nothing fancy car that periodically needs things replaced as it gets older has been true to me and I don't care what anyone thinks about how it looks. (Which is just fine.)

Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Yes, priorities. My son's hockey coach always drove either a Cadillac, a Hummer or a fancy pick up with a lift kit ect. I always thought he was rich.

Then one day I find out he's getting foreclosed on at his house and the city condemned it the same day because he had no utility service (didn't pay the bill).

I used to do service work in peoples homes years ago. I'll never forget this fancy house I was at. 5 million+ dollar home so these people were not pretenders. I was checking for a gas leak in there and had to go in the garage to check their garage furnace.

Do you know what they drove? 5 car garage and they had a Toyota Corolla, a Dodge Minivan and a VW Golf.

The woman was packing a picnic lunch. I asked her if they were going on a picnic or something? Turns out they were going to the zoo. She told me they don't believe in wasting money on eating out.

That blew me away and I changed the way I handle my finances from that day (approx 1995). It really helped me to see that perspective.

I could afford to buy and pay cash for any new car I want, but I refuse to pay more than 20K out of my pocket for a car. I've been leasing these Nissan Rogues for my last 2 vehicles. Very efficient and the lease is very reasonable.

I guess if I was independently wealthy and had absolutely nothing to do with my money I would buy the biggest, baddest BMW but otherwise I wouldn't waste money on glitzy junk.

Years ago I did a project for a couple from a smaller town near me. They kept a lot of details from me until we decided we were going to work with each other. They drove a Mazda minivan, and some basic smaller sedan. Wore good but simple clothes, no high end watches, jewelry, or purses. Nothing indicated any signs of wealth.

Then they took me to their upcoming 12,000 sq ft home, on a golf course.

When it was done, the house was very nice, but nowhere close to as extravagant as many large homes I've been in. The couple had 2 kids and wanted more, and they entertained a lot, with their large extended family. So the space would be well used, but they didn't need for it to be gold plated. They didn't care about high end art or fixtures, supercars, or any of the common trappings of people worth more than $100 million, which I later found out they were.

Priorities.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Tons of people skip or extend intervals between $25 oil changes to save a buck, but are choking down $6 Starbucks coffee's every morning. Then they wonder why their car's engine goes bad by 90K miles, and they curse the manufacturer vowing to never buy brand X again for inferior engineering.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
No holes. The antenna transmits through the glass into the little box on the inside of the car. Double stick tape and maybe some caulk. Use a putty knife or razor blade to work your way under both sides.
I pried at it iwth a screwdriver to no avail. I did not want to uncover a hole. Although I always wondered wiehter it is even possible to drill a hole in a windshield without cracking it. I guess i will just cut it off. It does not hurt anything, but it looks stupid. Thanks

Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I pried at it iwth a screwdriver to no avail. I did not want to uncover a hole. Although I always wondered wiehter it is even possible to drill a hole in a windshield without cracking it. I guess i will just cut it off. It does not hurt anything, but it looks stupid. Thanks
Keep running a razor blade around it at the bases, and it will come off. If there is a hole in your windshield for this, it would be the first one I've ever heard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive