Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 23,470 times

Advertisements

My 2004 Buick Rendezvouz is running hot but only when i'm stuck in traffic or at a red light. I have checked my fans they work. So I have no clue what it might be. The engine however is not hot when I touch it, neither is the radiator cap. Shouldn't they be hot if my car is running hot? I have no clue.. Need HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny_t44 View Post
My 2004 Buick Rendezvouz is running hot but only when i'm stuck in traffic or at a red light. I have checked my fans they work. So I have no clue what it might be. The engine however is not hot when I touch it, neither is the radiator cap. Shouldn't they be hot if my car is running hot? I have no clue.. Need HELP!!
How do you know it's running hot? Dash light on or temperature gauge in red zone?

Old 09-25-2012, 03:24 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
Not the best description I've ever heard, but if your engine feels cool to the touch and the temperature gauge creeps into the red, then first suspects would be either a faulty gauge/sender, thermostat jammed closed, a blockage somewhere in the cooling system, or maybe an airlock.

Afraid you're going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic to have it diagnosed, gonna be impossible to diagnose over the internet.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Not the best description I've ever heard, but if your engine feels cool to the touch and the temperature gauge creeps into the red, then first suspects would be either a faulty gauge/sender, thermostat jammed closed, a blockage somewhere in the cooling system, or maybe an airlock.

Afraid you're going to have to bite the bullet and take it to a mechanic to have it diagnosed, gonna be impossible to diagnose over the internet.
Yes, sounds like a stuck thermostat to me too. We both know that if a thermostat sticks closed, coolant can't circulate and the radiator will feel cool to the touch, most times, but if the engine gets too hot, the radiator would be boiling, and usually thumping sound.

you're correct, problems with cars are hard to diagnose over the internet.
good post by you

Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
If it's just that the needle in the gauge is moving around, then don't worry about it. The gauges are very loosely calibrated and are basically nothing more then "idiot lights". Unless the gauge pegs out into the red, or you get an overheat warning light, some oscillation of the gauge is normal.

If the gauge is swinging wildly then you most likely have an issue with the gauge or sending unit itself. You can't completely rule out a sticking thermostat, especially at the age of your vehicle, so that may be something you might want to change out just for peace of mind.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,596 times
Not sure how long you have owned this car, or if you've ever had a car with a temp gauge, but I will say this. Cars newer than around 1985, or cars that rely solely on electric fans from the manufacture are meant to run at 225*. Most cars these days will have a running range of 215*-230* with some cars having a gauge that can be off by 5 to 10*. If the engine feels cold, and has run for a short time, this coils mean two things. Coolant not circulating or coolant not present. By all means, DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP if the engine has had enough time to warm up. The rad could be cold, but the water in the block could be super heated and the release of the pressure could cause the water to boil immediately and blow out all over you causing severe burns!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
If it were the thermostat it would overheat all the time, not just in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive