Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,915 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out if I really need to replace my cap and rotor. I just popped off the cap and cleaned and inspected. They seem to be in good shape, clean, no carbon tracks, and the car runs fine. The thing is, they have 180,000 miles on them.

Assuming the cap and rotor are just old, is there any reason to change them? Any performance improvement likely? I know the parts are cheap, but so am I.

1998 Nissan Altima, 180,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,060 times
Are they the original parts ?
Most manufacturers would normally recommend that plugs, cap and rotor are changed every 30,000 miles or so, if you have no record of them having been changed for a couple of years or so, then it won't do any harm.
Set of HT leads might not hurt either.
Everything degrades, nothing on a car lasts forever.

If they appear to be fine, then you probably don't need to replace them, but the alternative is to wait until you do need to replace them, and you're left in the middle of nowhere with a car which won't start.

Just remember to make sure you replace all the leads to the correct place !

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Distributor cap and rotor can be had for under $20 and is an easy take off the old one and put on the new one. Whether you need it or not i have no idea but for peace of mind and $20 or less i'd just replace it
1998 Nissan Altima Distributor Cap 22162 9E000

While we are probably both in the if it aint broke dont fix it school of thought things like a plastic/bakelite distributor cap wont last forever and although its deterioration will result in a poor running engine long before it totally gives it up what i would be more concerned about is hairline cracks in the plastic that could become a problem in humid or very wet conditions leading to an engine that wont start.I'd also consider changing plug wires and plugs at the same time if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-03-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
I weight the cost of not replacing a part that could strand me on a road where I need to be towed to a garage and then have a mechanic replace it and then by the way "did you know that" your water pump was leaking. I'll just replace the part for $20 dollars and feel good about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive