Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times

Advertisements

My truck has logged 50k miles since it's last plugs/plug wires/cap and rotor replacement 7 years ago. I'm wondering if it would be wise to replace the wires and such now? What really dictates this stuff? Miles or actual years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
MY normal advice is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it it...BUT I have aluminum heads on most of my vehicles. I'm scared if I leave the plugs in too long....the threads will come out with them.

For that reason, I just changed the plugs in my '98 Toyota with 150K on the original plugs. They came right out and looked almost as good as the new ones I was fixin' to install. Guess I worry too much!

PS: My Toyo has no distributor cap or rotor...and the wires look to be part of what looks like the 4 little coils...

Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 AM

514 posts, read 1,670,163 times
Im not a mechanic,but I would say its definitely time for a tune up.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:24 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,677,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
MY normal advice is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it it...BUT I have aluminum heads on most of my vehicles. I'm scared if I leave the plugs in too long....the threads will come out with them.

For that reason, I just changed the plugs in my '98 Toyota with 150K on the original plugs. They came right out and looked almost as good as the new ones I was fixin' to install. Guess I worry too much!

PS: My Toyo has no distributor cap or rotor...and the wires look to be part of what looks like the 4 little coils...
A little anti-seize on plugs going into aluminum heads will allow them to come back out with no problem.

As far as wires and cap goes. A lot of wires get torn up when removing the boot from the plug. The heat makes the boots very hard and stick to the plug. A dielectric compound applied to the boot will eliminate this problem. Change them at 50,000 mi and install them right.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
As a retired mechanic, my answer would be " If you are 50 yrs old, do you have the same strength and mobility as when you were 20 yrs old"?????. Time for a change and new perk in the power range. Stefhen

Old 04-07-2008, 06:38 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Inspect the parts, I would at least pull one spark plug and look at the electrode, if it's worn, it's time. On the cap & rotor, just pop the cap off and take a look, if it looks new leave alone, if you have doubts replace.

You can check the wires just by opening the hood at night, you'll see what I think is called corona discharge, sparks, glowing, around the wires if they are breaking down. You can spray a little water if you are in a dry area. Normally in a humid place if you cold start there will be enough dampness to cause this.

If you have doubts about the wires, again, replace, you know it's easier to do this one wire at a time, avoids miswiring.

I like to put anti-seize on plug threads. The copper type from Wurth is my favorite, but, I'm a German car guy...

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
A little anti-seize on plugs going into aluminum heads will allow them to come back out with no problem.

As far as wires and cap goes. A lot of wires get torn up when removing the boot from the plug. The heat makes the boots very hard and stick to the plug. A dielectric compound applied to the boot will eliminate this problem. Change them at 50,000 mi and install them right.

Oh yeah, I use anti-sieze and dielectric grease when installing the new plugs. I was talking about replacing the originals...unless the factory uses anti-sieze on them....I don't know if they do or not.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
I have platinum plugs in my 02 Nissan Altima 4 cyl. In theory they are rated at 100K miles. In practice, those plugs take a lot of abuse. I bought 4 new platinum plugs for about $4 each and replaced the factory originals at about 54K miles. I don't drive high miles, and figured at 6 years old, the originals needed to be checked anyway so why not replace them. On my car it's easy to get access to the plugs, they sit right on top of the engine and can be removed in about 1 minute. I had to gap the new plugs to the Nissan specs, put some anti seize grease on the threads and the job was done in no time. Note: some front drive V6 cars may not be so easy to get to the plugs if they are on the side of the engine facing the firewall.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times
Thanks. I ended up swapping the cap rotor and wires. Rotor was really worn down, cap had some wear, wires it was hard to tell, but I kept having radio interference and someone said it might be the wires. And since the truck mostly sat the last 5 years I figure maybe some animal found the plug wires tasty. The radio interference is still there but the peace of mind of knowing the truck is less likely to break down is also there.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Aluminum anti sieze on aluminum heads. Copper anti sieze everywhere else.

Keep the ignition wires clean with a little WD-40 on a rag helps keep them from cracking.

Otherwise leave things alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive