Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 04:12 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times

Advertisements

I think the OP would have a point if he said "Driving in heavy city traffic sux". Or "Driving a boring econobox sux".

But like I posted, the problem is driving the wrong car in the wrong environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 07:32 PM

16,402 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
When I worked Downtown(Cleveland), I almost never drove, public transportation was cheaper, easier, and sometimes just as fast, I could read, nap, or take care of paperwork stuff while riding. I didn't need to watch for people looking for a "payday" or those that simply don't know how to drive.

That works nice in Cleveland if you live on the bus or train line and you are heading to DT Cleveland.

However, if you have to get home from work in Bedford Heights to Lakewood after 7 pm on a Saturday night ....

Or you have to sit out in the elements for 40 minutes waiting for the next bus.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,310,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No, you are incorrect. Automatic drivers are always complaining about manual cars. Whether it's complaining about their existence or the fact that they have to pay for an automatic transmission. The USA as a whole has gotten lazier and popularity of the automatic transmission is clear evidence of that. "Why do I need to push in a clutch? It's so hard." Everything has to be powered. Next thing, you know people will want them to be automatically driven at least in the USA.

Automatic is moving forward in the United States. It's pathetic that the automatic transmission are just now starting to be faster on average than their manual counterparts. The rest of the world, manual is king and automatic is driven by the elderly. Even they don't drive at all or they drive manual. The proper gearbox will always have a place in the US because they are cheaper but manufacturers are trying to kill it by taking away features for those cars.

You're quite wrong on all counts. In fact, in the luxury car market, the US is about the only place that manual transmissions are still offered (the exception is teh smaller engine diesels that Europe gets are still fitted with manual trans more than anything). But the take rate in Euriope for automatics is growing rapidly. Even BMW only offers a manual transmission in the US on the M5 and it's a half assed trans just to satisfy the manul trans fans. Europe only gets the 7 speed DCT, which is a MUCH better trans and more suited to the car's role.

I'm a fan of good manual transmissions, and have only bought manual trans in my new cars. But automatics have gotten much better, and in many cars are better suited to the car's role than manuals (like my BMW 7 series was better suited to it's performance automatic trans than a manual trans would have been).

Automatic fans don't complain about manual transmissions existing, but manual trans fans DO complain about autos and worse, insult automatic drivers as being non-drivers or even just passengers. Manual trans nazis are the worst sort of "my e-peen is bigger than yours" morons on car forums.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,350,590 times
Quote:
Automatic is moving forward in the United States. It's pathetic that the automatic transmission are just now starting to be faster on average than their manual counterparts.
That is not quite accurate (but it depends on the car). Way back in 1969, Car Life said this about their test car, a '69 Dodge Super Bee with 383-4 bbl engine and 3-speed Torqueflite automatic transmission... "The Torqueflite, too, did everything well. On the strip, it shifted positively, and quicker than the Car Life testers can shift Chrysler's four-speeds."

Quote:
The rest of the world, manual is king and automatic is driven by the elderly. Even they don't drive at all or they drive manual. The proper gearbox will always have a place in the US because they are cheaper but manufacturers are trying to kill it by taking away features for those cars.
The "proper" gearbox in my two Cadillacs is an automatic transmission because that was the only type of gearbox available!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 536,486 times
Driving is great if you have a nice car - peppy, efficient, reliable etc. Before anyone says anything I am an amateur cyclist and I put a lot of miles on weekly bases on my local trails in Westchester County, NY. I also bike on my stationary bike. I use train - Metro North Harlem line in order to get to work in Manhattan. While it is almost always on time it is absolutely disgusting because it is filthy, EXPENSIVE, has obnoxious, toolish conductors and is full of rowdy people who quite often behave like monkeys.

It is fantastic to get in a car with or without bikes and just drive upstate NY, New England and Canada. I was driving to work 5 years ago. I gave up after 3 months.

My wife drives Honda Civic SI Coupe and I drive Honda Fit Sport. On top of that we are Europeans. lol

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Driving was swell 30 years ago but now there is not a whiff of pleasure in it. High gas prices, cops everywhere, boring appliance cars and mile after mile of ugly suburban sprawl has turned driving into a pure chore.

Japanese train station during rush hour - YouTube Take a train.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,045,966 times
Besides getting laid for the very first time their is nothing like owning your very first car & cruising around town with your buddys or g/f & listening to your favorite jams. Am i right ?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:14 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,702,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You're quite wrong on all counts. In fact, in the luxury car market, the US is about the only place that manual transmissions are still offered (the exception is teh smaller engine diesels that Europe gets are still fitted with manual trans more than anything). But the take rate in Euriope for automatics is growing rapidly. Even BMW only offers a manual transmission in the US on the M5 and it's a half assed trans just to satisfy the manul trans fans. Europe only gets the 7 speed DCT, which is a MUCH better trans and more suited to the car's role.

I'm a fan of good manual transmissions, and have only bought manual trans in my new cars. But automatics have gotten much better, and in many cars are better suited to the car's role than manuals (like my BMW 7 series was better suited to it's performance automatic trans than a manual trans would have been).

Automatic fans don't complain about manual transmissions existing, but manual trans fans DO complain about autos and worse, insult automatic drivers as being non-drivers or even just passengers. Manual trans nazis are the worst sort of "my e-peen is bigger than yours" morons on car forums.
You need to leave the country more often. In Europe, it's looked down upon almost. Unless you're old or you have a chauffeur. Your BMW argument about one car supporting your argument is quite lazy. Do you know why they gave the US a manual option? The DCT option wasn't popular because Americans are having issues operating it and understanding it.

So they offered a manual at no cost. Whatever it took to boost sales. While you wish to use the M5 as your only argument. I have a few examples to counteract. The Ford Focus Platinum had the same problem. Why are you only focusing on the luxury car market when there are clearly other markets out there that you so conveniently ignore.

I don't care what you are a fan of. I really don't need your disclaimer. Automatic people are not saints. You are really giving too much credit to the manual crowd. I get crap all of the time for my manual. Why didn't you just get an automatic? Manuals are for people who want to live in the past. You want a manual choke too? Blah blah. The truth is that in the US, automakers are trying to kill the manual as it would be cheaper to go without it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,702,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is not quite accurate (but it depends on the car). Way back in 1969, Car Life said this about their test car, a '69 Dodge Super Bee with 383-4 bbl engine and 3-speed Torqueflite automatic transmission... "The Torqueflite, too, did everything well. On the strip, it shifted positively, and quicker than the Car Life testers can shift Chrysler's four-speeds."

The "proper" gearbox in my two Cadillacs is an automatic transmission because that was the only type of gearbox available!
Yes because one example determines everything, right? I said ON AVERAGE. The automatic just started catching up to the proper gearbox (in performance) in the previous decade.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,350,590 times
Quote:
Yes because one example determines everything, right? I said ON AVERAGE. The automatic just started catching up to the proper gearbox (in performance) in the previous decade.
But where did you get that from? If the '60s Mopar automatics were as fast-shifting as the manuals, it sure took a long time for the other makes to catch up!

And speaking of on average, does it really matter to the average driver if a one car with a manual trans is 0.3 seconds faster than an identical car with a manual trans in the 1/4 mile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive