Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:41 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Seems to be that way. For one reason or another white folks seem to love Subaru's, Volvos, and pickup trucks. Blacks seem to love Cadillacs and the dogde/chrysler line of 300's and magnums. Jews seem to love mini vans and large luxury vehicles. Asians tend to stick with Japanese made vehicles. Latin people dont seem to have a specific type and will drive pretty much anything.

Your thoughts?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Seems to be that way. For one reason or another white folks seem to love Subaru's, Volvos, and pickup trucks. Blacks seem to love Cadillacs and the dogde/chrysler line of 300's and magnums. Jews seem to love mini vans and large luxury vehicles. Asians tend to stick with Japanese made vehicles. Latin people dont seem to have a specific type and will drive pretty much anything.

Your thoughts?
I guess it depends what part of the country and whether it's a rural or urban area. Where I grew up, every other person owned a pickup.

I'm Black and have never owned or driven a Cadillac in my life. I have ridden in many. Wonderful cars, but just not "me". In fact, I've always been partial to Japanese, VWs and muscle cars.

In all honesty, I do believe the older generations were more inclined towards Caddy's than the younger. Growing up, I had a neighbor who owned nothing but Cadillacs.. he swore this was the best car ever built.

Last edited by Gil3; 10-10-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I'd say the short answer is no. I've seen a good number of blacks/whites/jews/asians/aliens driving all types of cars.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I'm Black and have never owned or driven a Cadillac in my life, nor do i care to. In fact, I've always been attracted to Japanese and muscle cars.
Not trying to stereotype and I guess it depends on your demographic. I'm from NYC and this is generally what I see on a daily basis.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
I think these stereotypes were more true back in the 80's and 90's. With the dominance of the Japanese brands during the past 20 yrs there are very few ppl who'll specifically avoid them. The only exception i can think of are those who're shopping for trucks, luxury cars & Mustangs. Here in LA, you'll probably see more blacks driving Toyota's than Chrysler's or Buick's. And over in the SGV which is the biggest Chinatown in the US, you find many Euro cars just because there's a certain near-luxury aura to them. While on the Westside (which is predominantly Jewish), Prius and E-class are the main rides. The era of big flashy Escalades & Range Rover's is pretty much over. I do notice that low-income blue collar Latinos tend to drive used '92-'01 Camry's, mainly because they're affordable & run forever with little maintenance. In fact I know of a guy who actually buys & reconditions these Toyota's and sells them to Latino immigrants.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I think these stereotypes were more true back in the 80's and 90's. With the dominance of the Japanese brands during the past 20 yrs there are very few ppl who'll specifically avoid them. The only exception i can think of are those who're shopping for trucks, luxury cars & Mustangs. Here in LA, you'll probably see more blacks driving Toyota's than Chrysler's or Buick's. And over in the SGV which is the biggest Chinatown in the US, you find many Euro cars just because there's a certain near-luxury aura to them. While on the Westside (which is predominantly Jewish), Prius and E-class are the main rides. The era of big flashy Escalades & Range Rover's is pretty much over. I do notice that low-income blue collar Latinos tend to drive used '92-'01 Camry's, mainly because they're affordable & run forever with little maintenance. In fact I know of a guy who actually buys & reconditions these Toyota's and sells them to Latino immigrants.
I can agree with some of this. I live in the Bay Area which has a large Asian population and over the past few years I'm seeing more of them driving various domestic makes (particularly Buicks) and Hyundai's. I think this has more to do with improved product quality and perception versus country of origin. Toyota/Honda held the reliability/quality titles for a very long time and now other makes are catching up.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
I once visited a large Asian market in St. Paul, oriented around Hmong refugees (from Laos and China) and their descendants. Almost EVERY car in the parking lot outside was of Japanese origin. Seriously, almost every single car!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
To some degree....YES!!

1974 CHOP TOP CUTLASS BURNOUT - YouTube

Me.....white bread...

66 Shelby GT-350 Ride - YouTube

7.3 Powerstroke - 120HP Race Tune - YouTube

To the poster who said MOST white guys like Subbies, Toyotas and other Japan imports.......I hope you have a barf bag man......I'll/we'll need one.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
To some degree....YES!!

1974 CHOP TOP CUTLASS BURNOUT - YouTube

Me.....white bread...

66 Shelby GT-350 Ride - YouTube

7.3 Powerstroke - 120HP Race Tune - YouTube

To the poster who said MOST white guys like Subbies, Toyotas and other Japan imports.......I hope you have a barf bag man......I'll/we'll need one.
I can't say MOST with any degree of certainty but I certainly know a large number of white folks who do indeed like Subies, Toyotas and other Japan imports. Definitely more than domestic or even euro cars (these are a close second).

Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I can't say MOST with any degree of certainty but I certainly know a large number of white folks who do indeed like Subies, Toyotas and other Japan imports.
Ick...even my black friend Carl would drive THIS! Then again...he's a cool black dude that fits in like a glove with country guys.

Check this out Carl.... You can even throw your Colt H-BAR in the back and stuff your Wilson CQB between the front seats.......

Love ya bro!

http://coloradok5.com/forums/picture...&pictureid=144
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive