Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The defect causes fires. Sounds serious to me.
Fires are serious and a defect that can result in one deserves attention. However, in the case of this Toyota recall the issue is lubricating the switch with the wrong lubricant. Given this information, this is a problem over which I would not lose any sleep.

In MustangEaters example, the car was jumped incorrectly. Another easily avoidable problem.

Automobiles are complicated machines and unfortunately the likelihood of buying a car that has some sort of issue (whether minor or severe) is relatively large. Both camps, pro import and pro domestic, have beat these issues to death in order to advance their agenda which in the grand scheme of things is so insignificant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
At least they are being honest and proactive in warning consumers. I own a VW and we have quite a few problems that should be recalled but most likely never will be since they aren't life threatening. For one, my back rear windshield fluid nozzle leaks. Also, I hear VW's are infamous for having the window regulators fail. I still love my VW, but I loved my Honda too. That Honda lasted 212K miles without too many repairs until I got rid of it myself.
I agree, as long as they come out with it whoever it is, its good. But as stated, I have seen posts about things lesser then this minor recall, that resulted in no accidents, and no injuries reported to the DOT and NTSB, and see people go nuts over it and crappy domestic quality, blah blah blah.

Then when a similar thing happens to certain cars, its the manufacturer being proactive and fixing it, not bad quality/engineering at all.

Cars are some of the most complex things we own, and despite our best efforts its the most reliable thing we own. What else do you own that you can pretty much neglect, and leave outdoors to the elements and will give you the equivalent of a troublefree 150k, and 10 years of life.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Fires are serious and a defect that can result in one deserves attention. However, in the case of this Toyota recall the issue is lubricating the switch with the wrong lubricant. Given this information, this is a problem over which I would not lose any sleep.
The window switch thing has been pending for awhile and a lot of people think the "improper lubrication" from mechanics after sale as a cause for the fire is pretty much BS. Honda has nearly the same issue and is recalling them based on water/liquid penetration from open windows or spills. Serisouly, how many times have you had/asked a mechanic to "lubricate my window switches". Sorry, no one is recalling 7.43 million cars and bearing all that expense over that. I think it's just their excuse for a bad part. If it was anything else it could have been handled with a TSB and notification not to lubricate.

Quote:
In MustangEaters example, the car was jumped incorrectly. Another easily avoidable problem.
I think his statement was a joke about how most stories about domestic cars lacking reliability generally go.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I don't know, I have been hearing about Japanese quality slipping, and I wouldn't shrug off a car fire, car fires are very very serious. My cousin's, brothers, uncle's, best friend's, roomate, had a 1987 Honda Accord, and once the battery died do to the horrible quality control at Honda, so when he jumpstarted it, they had the jumper cables reversed and it fried the car and started a fire that burnt the car to the ground with his new Iphone 5(total loss) in it.

I would never buy a Japanese car because of situations like this.
Your logic is completely idiotic. You indict all the cars from one country because of this?

I think the very worst safety related recalls in history are associated with the Ford Pinto and the Ford Explorer. I think every one knows the Pinto could (and did) explode when hit in the rear because of its poor fuel tank design.

8 million Fords were recalled because their vehicle might not shut off after the ignition was turned off. The vehicles sometimes burst into flames.

Does this mean all American vehicles, Ford or other brands, are bad?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The window switch thing has been pending for awhile and a lot of people think the "improper lubrication" from mechanics after sale as a cause for the fire is pretty much BS. Honda has nearly the same issue and is recalling them based on water/liquid penetration from open windows or spills. Serisouly, how many times have you had/asked a mechanic to "lubricate my window switches". Sorry, no one is recalling 7.43 million cars and bearing all that expense over that. I think it's just their excuse for a bad part. If it was anything else it could have been handled with a TSB and notification not to lubricate.

I think his statement was a joke about how most stories about domestic cars lacking reliability generally go.
As far as the switches, I can't say either way with absolute certainty. You might be right but recall issues have been getting increasing coverage through media outlets over the past few years and manufacturers are getting quicker on their toes when it comes to issuing recalls. Maybe the wrong lubricant was applied at the factory or the switch design is prone to sticking and owners are coming in for lubricant at a higher rate than other models.

As for the joke, maybe my humor detector is acting up today lol.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your logic is completely idiotic. You indict all the cars from one country because of this?

I think the very worst safety related recalls in history are associated with the Ford Pinto and the Ford Explorer. I think every one knows the Pinto could (and did) explode when hit in the rear because of its poor fuel tank design.

8 million Fords were recalled because their vehicle might not shut off after the ignition was turned off. The vehicles sometimes burst into flames.

Does this mean all American vehicles, Ford or other brands, are bad?
Again, it was a joke...most stories of how unreliable American cars are tend to go...

My brother had a friend back in 2006 whose cousin had a 1995 Chevy Cavalier with 140k miles on it. They took it to the movies once and when they came out the starter had failed and they were stranded for a couple hours. This is why I will never buy an American car again.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My brother had a friend back in 2006 whose cousin had a 1995 Chevy Cavalier with 140k miles on it. They took it to the movies once and when they came out the starter had failed and they were stranded for a couple hours. This is why I will never buy an American car again.
What a dumb thing to say. You should be dragged behind a herd of stampeding elephants and then drowned in a sea of drity diapers. One instance makes you hate all American Cars? Don't you know all American cars are better than Japanese, becuase I once had a 1979 Honda that the frame rusted out and cracked. Have you ever seen a 2012 Cadillac with a rusted out frame? No! Any american car is better than any foreign car. Faster too.
Your brother is foolish too - it only takes 45 minutes at the most to change out a starter on a 1995 cavalier (I of course can do it in 8 minutes becuase I am better than any other human being. Why would he wait around for 2 hours? (Scorn scorn scorn).

Gotta love CD.

(Some people jst cannot comprehend sarcasm. There are studies about this.)

Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Years ago automobile manufacturers would get away with numerous defects on their automobiles. But nowadays because of the liabilities involved, automobile manufacturers can't take chances, thus the recalls.

I don't know about you, but I am happier with a company that takes the time to recall any of it's vehicles than one that doesn't.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I agree, as long as they come out with it whoever it is, its good. But as stated, I have seen posts about things lesser then this minor recall, that resulted in no accidents, and no injuries reported to the DOT and NTSB, and see people go nuts over it and crappy domestic quality, blah blah blah.

Then when a similar thing happens to certain cars, its the manufacturer being proactive and fixing it, not bad quality/engineering at all.
Exactly. We already see this in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
At least they are being honest and proactive in warning consumers.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangeater82 View Post
i don't know, i have been hearing about japanese quality slipping, and i wouldn't shrug off a car fire, car fires are very very serious. My cousin's, brothers, uncle's, best friend's, roomate, had a 1987 honda accord, and once the battery died do to the horrible quality control at honda, so when he jumpstarted it, they had the jumper cables reversed and it fried the car and started a fire that burnt the car to the ground with his new iphone 5(total loss) in it.

I would never buy a japanese car because of situations like this.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive