Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times

Advertisements

First a thief would have to know you are using a hide-a-key.

Thief are not going to crawl under your can and look or feel around for a key box unless they knew it was there and they really wanted the vehicle in the first place.
The thief may walk by and run their hand in your wheel wheel or gas flap (if it opens).
They are animals of opportunity, even if your vehicle is listed high on the most stolen vehicles list they are not going to loiter around looking for a hode-a-key.

Now your kid might use it to go for a joy ride but that is a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:07 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
They will pay regardless, They have to pay or else you can claim bad faith and have a huge law suit on your hands. Unless they can prove fraud, they will pay. Its along the same lines if you leave your windows open while it rains, They will cover all damages, even though its your fault.
I agree with that, but they are going to make you jump thru so many damn hoops. I wonder if the burden would be on you, or on the company to prove fraud was or wasn't involved.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I bet if it gets stolen with the key, the insurance company isn't going to give you squat, or next to it. Why? Because you effectivly gave the crook the key, and you KNOW they don't want to pay out. If you left your keys in the ignition, do you thing the insurance company would sympatize with you? Nope.
Wrong. Comprehensive insurance coverage pays off for the loss, even if your actions helped enable the theft.

I've had several friends have their car stolen when they left the key in the ignition and the car running while they went into a C-store to buy a few items in cold weather. It was an opportunity that presented to take the car, and while it wasn't prudent on the part of the owner to leave it running with the keys in it, they also didn't authorize the thieves to take their car.

Every time, the insurance paid off a total loss for the theft to the owner ... one of the cars was an almost brand new BMW, which was found 6 months later in an abandoned garage across town from where it was stolen. It had over 1,000 miles driven on it. Having had the insurance loss paid, the car was totalled and sold by the insurance company when it was recovered with an "S" title.

Last edited by sunsprit; 10-13-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
The day of having keys is coming to an end.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:57 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I bought a new Ford truck in 1993 and it came with a cool thing, a credit card sized plastic key. The key fit the door so you could open it but wouldn't start the truck. Be nice if they still made those.
My current Ford truck has a key pad on the door that I can lock and unlock the truck with. I think Ford is the only one that has those? My other car doesn't even have a top so no worries about locking the keys in that.
Get the hide a key and when no one is looking put it somewhere up underneath where it is easy to get to but not visible. Most of them are black with white writing on them so scrape it off to disguise it more. Also you will want to seal it up with some masking tape. If you put it underneath it wil collect alot of dirt and water and rust the key by the time you need to use it.
Do get a regular key cut, don't bother to get one with a chip in it. All you want to do is open the door to get ot your real keys plus the cost of a chipped key is $30 and up. A regular key is only $2.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Wrong. Comprehensive insurance coverage pays off for the loss, even if your actions helped enable the theft.

I've had several friends have their car stolen when they left the key in the ignition and the car running while they went into a C-store to buy a few items in cold weather. It was an opportunity that presented to take the car, and while it wasn't prudent on the part of the owner to leave it running with the keys in it, they also didn't authorize the thieves to take their car.

Every time, the insurance paid off a total loss for the theft to the owner ... one of the cars was an almost brand new BMW, which was found 6 months later in an abandoned garage across town from where it was stolen. It had over 1,000 miles driven on it. Having had the insurance loss paid, the car was totalled and sold by the insurance company when it was recovered with an "S" title.

Guess it depends who your insurance company is. If they include things along the lines of "contributory negligence" into their policies, you're up **** creek, and time to change providers . I would think in most cases like this, it would go to a judge who would rule against the insurance company anyway.

According to wikipedia (I know, I know) it might just depend on what State you live in.
Contributory negligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm obviously no law professor, I'm just lookin' around the net. But I would assume you could expect them to send an investigator. People leave their cars running all the time hoping they with get stolen because it's a peice of ****, hoping to scam the insurance co.

I for one, wouldn't put it past an insurance company to at least try to pull if off.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Guess it depends who your insurance company is. If they include things along the lines of "contributory negligence" into their policies, you're up **** creek, and time to change providers . I would think in most cases like this, it would go to a judge who would rule against the insurance company anyway.

According to wikipedia (I know, I know) it might just depend on what State you live in.
Contributory negligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm obviously no law professor, I'm just lookin' around the net. But I would assume you could expect them to send an investigator. People leave their cars running all the time hoping they with get stolen because it's a peice of ****, hoping to scam the insurance co.

I for one, wouldn't put it past an insurance company to at least try to pull if off.
No it's all insurance in all states, unless they can prove fraud, legally they have to pay the claim. Contributory negligence would only apply to collision coverage, where you would be partially at fault for an accident, then your insurance would only have to pay a percentage of the claim. I really would not call leaving your car running a scam, as your car REALLY DID get stolen.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Ahhhhhh.

Thanks, Me007gold.

If you leave your car running though, hoping it gets ripped off to intentionally get a new car or some cash, it it a scam. If I set my house on fire on purpose to get cash, it's still a scam even though my house was indeed on fire.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 10-13-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
Love technology, I can lock/unlock/remote start my car via my cell phone as long as I have data coverage.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,158 times
Quote:
I bet if it gets stolen with the key, the insurance company isn't going to give you squat, or next to it. Why? Because you effectivly gave the crook the key, and you KNOW they don't want to pay out. If you left your keys in the ignition, do you thing the insurance company would sympatize with you? Nope.

Just keep it in your wallet if you carry one. My wallet actually has two little holders specifically for keys. If you don't carry a wallet, then leave the spare at home, or with someone you trust, who will likely bring it to you if you lose the original.
Wrong. Check your auto insurance policy. There is no exclusion for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive