Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times

Advertisements

Some good info here .... A car guy once told me if you are comparing a 4 cyl and V6, first drive a 4cyl version through all types of traffic, city, highway, etc. and see if you are satisfied with how it performs. If you have enough power and feel comfortable with it's performance, no reason to drive the V6 and just enjoy the better gas mileage. Generally 4 cyl will have less power, cost less and get better gas mileage than a V6, but when you get into the higher output turbo 4 cyl vehicles, they will cost more (like a V6) and will probably have as much or more power than a V6, with a small penalty in gas mileage vs a regular 4 cyl. Case in point, Hyundai Sonata, base 2.4l 4cyl gets 35 hwy 198hp, Turbo 2.0l 4 cyl 274hp gets 34 hwy, but for $3,900 more in the Turbo package. A V6 268hp Camry gets about 30 hwy with less hp than the turbo Sonata.

Personally, with gas prices as they are now, for a daily driver I would really only consider a 4cyl. We have two 4cyl cars, and a V6 SUV. I plan to trade the SUV for a more economical vehicle in the next couple of years, probably a 4cyl turbo Sonata or possibly a small 4 cyl SUV. I have my Mustang for driving fast when I want to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Some good info here .... A car guy once told me if you are comparing a 4 cyl and V6, first drive a 4cyl version through all types of traffic, city, highway, etc. and see if you are satisfied with how it performs. If you have enough power and feel comfortable with it's performance, no reason to drive the V6 and just enjoy the better gas mileage. Generally 4 cyl will have less power, cost less and get better gas mileage than a V6, but when you get into the higher output turbo 4 cyl vehicles, they will cost more (like a V6) and will probably have as much or more power than a V6, with a small penalty in gas mileage vs a regular 4 cyl. Case in point, Hyundai Sonata, base 2.4l 4cyl gets 35 hwy 198hp, Turbo 2.0l 4 cyl 274hp gets 34 hwy, but for $3,900 more in the Turbo package. A V6 268hp Camry gets about 30 hwy with less hp than the turbo Sonata.

Personally, with gas prices as they are now, for a daily driver I would really only consider a 4cyl. We have two 4cyl cars, and a V6 SUV. I plan to trade the SUV for a more economical vehicle in the next couple of years, probably a 4cyl turbo Sonata or possibly a small 4 cyl SUV. I have my Mustang for driving fast when I want to!

Good info. Thanks.
I'm thinking I've narrowed it down to a Hyundai Veracruz, Kia Sorento and Ford Edge. My wife drives a Toyota Highlander which has great pick up but I'm not impressed with the MPG.
Any thoughts on the above 3?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
The Hyundai & Kia both have the 3rd row seat available, the Edge does not. Plus their warranty is better all around. I have two friends that both have owned several Hyundais and they have nothing but praise for them. That is why I'm considering the Sonata. While I really like Fords, the Edge is kind of at the bottom style wise IMO. I've never even looked at them, but they are selling well. Any of these three would be a good buy. I think it can come down to what kind of deal you can get on one equipped the way you want. The Veracruz is being discontinued, so they might be discounting them more, but then the selection is probably less with more of the expensive models remaining.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Had you considered the Ford Flex? Think of the Flex as a crossover or tall wagon version of the current Ford Taurus, a car with exceptional crash safety.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:17 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Had you considered the Ford Flex? Think of the Flex as a crossover or tall wagon version of the current Ford Taurus, a car with exceptional crash safety.
Just doesn't do it for me from an aesthics perspective.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive