Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Do you mean as the procession goes through an intersection or turning, where by law they have the right of way, at least in ever state I have lived in, and that is quite a few. So, yes I stop. Don't want an accident and don't want to break the law.

Or do you mean the ludicrous custom of the south (at least in AL, TN and MS for sure) stopping for a funeral procession that is coming the other way on a major highway? If so, NO, I do not stop. The southerners say it is to pay respect. I ask how can you pay respect for someone you don't know. Out of ignorance, these southerners might be stopping for a sex molester, killer, serial killer, wife beater, etc., that just died. How do they know who is in that gasket?

Again, the "respect" is for the sake of the bereaved. No one expects you to know who the deceased may have been, but he or she was likely to have been someone's child, sibling, spouse, and friend and is likely to have been loved by them. Showing a little mercy and grace is the civilized and dignified thing to do.

BTW, no one is in "that gasket".

Try "casket" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,605 times
Ive never seen a funeral procession that didnt involve a cop who was directing traffic. The hearse was in front followed by the limo and everyone else had their headlights on.Everyone had to stop so those cars could go through.You have no choice than to stop. So maybe I am misunderstanding this question.. I do turn my radio off though. Dont know why. Same goes for when I go into a cemetery.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Do you mean as the procession goes through an intersection or turning, where by law they have the right of way, at least in ever state I have lived in, and that is quite a few. So, yes I stop. Don't want an accident and don't want to break the law.

Or do you mean the ludicrous custom of the south (at least in AL, TN and MS for sure) stopping for a funeral procession that is coming the other way on a major highway? If so, NO, I do not stop. The southerners say it is to pay respect. I ask how can you pay respect for someone you don't know. Out of ignorance, these southerners might be stopping for a sex molester, killer, serial killer, wife beater, etc., that just died. How do they know who is in that gasket?
I was part of a funeral procession in downstate Illinois earlier this week, and I saw people doing this. Now, I'm well accustomed to letting a funeral procession make its way to the burial site unbroken and uninterrupted, including giving them the right of way to turn left in front of you and run through stop signs and stop lights and what-all. But it was weird watching people on the other side of the highway not just stopping, but pulling off onto the shoulder as if we needed the whole highway to ourselves. I was thinking to myself, "that's awfully courteous of you, but we're doing just fine on our own side of the road..."

Old 04-17-2015, 02:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
I remember when I first saw the "pulling over" in Georgia back in the 80s, I was very moved by it once I realized what was happening. I don't recall ever subsequently seeing it happen on "major" highways, but certainly on most surface roads. Respect, courtesy, civility, sense of community - - I don't see a downside. Going back to a funeral in NJ, and watching the comparative disrespect for a funeral procession, was another reminder of why I left.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
I usually do, but not coming the other way. I'll admit I was in a big hurry for something for work a year or so ago and didn't but that was an exception, and if I had been late I would have been the one in the casket.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
I remember when I first saw the "pulling over" in Georgia back in the 80s, I was very moved by it once I realized what was happening. I don't recall ever subsequently seeing it happen on "major" highways, but certainly on most surface roads. Respect, courtesy, civility, sense of community - - I don't see a downside. Going back to a funeral in NJ, and watching the comparative disrespect for a funeral procession, was another reminder of why I left.
It's pretty much expected to pull over down here (unless road is divided with a median), it's simply a way of saying "my condolences" to the family.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:06 PM

950 posts, read 924,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's pretty much expected to pull over down here (unless road is divided with a median), it's simply a way of saying "my condolences" to the family.
I was involved in a " pull over" yesterday here in north Arkansas.

I noticed a semi coming to a stop with blinkers on ( 4 lane undivided highway) and 3 cars coming to a stop behind. I wondered what was happening until I saw a cop car ( lights flashing) hearse, and about 30 cars with lights on with a cop car behind.

Yes, I thought it was a nice gesture of courtesy .
Being I just moved here 3 years ago from Minnesota ............it made me proud of my fellow Arkansans

Old 04-19-2015, 01:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
I have always thought this was a basic courtesy, but I was wondering what the other drivers here think?
Old fashioned custom. Time for it to go bye..bye...

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
If you mean as they cross you traffic as they travel through a light, turn in front of you, etc., then yes. Every state I have lived in it is a law. They have the right of way.

If you mean the really stupid idea in some southern states where people stop for a funeral on the other side of the road and not crossing into your lane...then NO. They say it is out of respect; but how can you have respect for someone you don't know? So, no, I don't stop for those and if the locals don't like it, they can stuff it.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Absolutely.

It's common courtesy for people to pay their respects to the deceased and their family. It's also law here, and processions are led and tailed by police. They have two or three officers leapfrog ahead to block the intersections and allow the procession to pass. I've seen these same officers pull people over who try to come through the intersection or continue travelling when the procession is coming through. If 4-5 minutes is going to delay you getting to your destination in such a way as to cause you problems, you need to leave earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive