Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times

Advertisements

I started driving in 1975. I've driven cars without power brakes, ABS, or really any safety feature besides seat belts. I've never quite adjusted to ABS because I've become adjusted to pumping my brakes when I stop or slow down on icy roads and where I live there are plenty of them. I don't think its boastful to claim that no ABS system can do the job better than I've learned to do it on my own. The theory of ABS is good. In reality, anyone who is a competent driver doesn't need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, you're NOT in a big mess. I don't know your location but driving non-ABS just means you have to remember to pump your brakes in the necessary situations (on snow, rain slick roads, slippery conditions), which is what the ABS system. does for you. You just have to practice a little bit different driving skill. ABS does lower your insurance rates a bit, but not by much.

I have two cars without ABS: a 91 Lumina and an 03 Focus. In the case of the Ford (and likely your Echo), many carmakers made ABS an option on their low end vehicles to cut prices.
My current car is the first I've had with ABS. I live in Maine, so I'm no stranger to having to pump the brakes to stop in slippery conditions. The challenge now is I always have to remind myself not to pump the brakes. It still feels awkward, though, and I sometimes think I could do better without it.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In reality, anyone who is a competent driver doesn't need it.
Exactly.. most who would benefit from ABS brakes dont know how to use them anyway and in an emergency situation will more likely just jam on the brakes,then take their hands off the steering wheel to cover their face from the impending crash

mag32gie
What do you think the ABS system actually does and how would you use it if you needed it?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
i have driven in a large variety of weather conditions across the country, and NONE of my cars ever had ABS brakes. in fact many of my cars had four wheel drum brakes, and the only issues i ever had with braking were due to my own stupidity. once in abq, nm i broke too late and slid through an intersection on icy roads, and once i over used my brakes on a downhill run and faded the brakes again rolling through an intersection.

pay attention to your driving, leave extra room, and brake early in foul weather and you should have no issues. you should also pay attention to how much brake you can use on slick roads, and adjust your driving style accordingly.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Exactly.. most who would benefit from ABS brakes dont know how to use them anyway and in an emergency situation will more likely just jam on the brakes,then take their hands off the steering wheel to cover their face from the impending crash

mag32gie
What do you think the ABS system actually does and how would you use it if you needed it?
I'm not sure what it does but think it helps when you are skidding. For 15 years I have been driving with it on my car. I got scared because the mechanic acted like it was very important. I am sure my brain is conditioned to drive with it and will now have to relearn how to drive without it, I guess, we will soon find out. If you don't see me asking questions anymore, that means I didn't do too well, lol.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:26 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I'm not sure what it does but think it helps when you are skidding. For 15 years I have been driving with it on my car. I got scared because the mechanic acted like it was very important. I am sure my brain is conditioned to drive with it and will now have to relearn how to drive without it, I guess, we will soon find out. If you don't see me asking questions anymore, that means I didn't do too well, lol.
In the days before ABS if you were in an emergency stop situation and stomped on your brakes, the brakes would lock up your wheels (they stop rotating) and you would skid until you stopped or hit something. You also would also not be able to steer the vehicle while skidding. The technique for such a stop involves modulating your brake pedal at a fast rate so that you would continue to slow down without locking up your wheels and steer clear of danger. ABS systems do this for you so that all you would have to do is stomp on the brakes and steer your vehicle. Many modern ABS systems work in concert with traction control systems to apply brakes selectively to individual wheels if your vehicle is in a skid or slide or approaching such a condition. In most situations, controlled braking will stop your vehicle at a faster rate than skidding to a stop. Although less common, locking up your wheels going into a turn also means you can’t steer through the turn and could possibly run into the guard rail, into oncoming traffic or over a cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive