Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Some may remember I was having an occasional problem with my 2003 Malibu. Well the check engine light finally came on for good. Took it to Auto Zone for the free check. Came back showing problem with the EGR system, more likely the EGR valve. Will take it in Monday morning. Have about 91,000 miles on the car and hope to trade it in next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:31 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
The 2003 Malibu is according to most owners is the biggest piece of junk GM has ever made.. GREAT JOB GM!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
The 2003 Malibu is according to most owners is the biggest piece of junk GM has ever made.. GREAT JOB GM!
Agreed. I knew about problems with the early Malibus. I innocently believed that by the last model, GM would have corrected their problems. Boy was I wrong. They did improve engine horsepower and handling in 2000. Have had warped rotors, intake gasket leak, PassLock Theft Deterrent system stop recognizing my keys, and multiple AC control panel replacements before getting one that actually worked correctly. It's been paid off for a while now. Been waiting for my wife's car to be paid off before buying a replacement car. Not going to be a GM product. I've only owned GM all my adult life since 1986. Those early cars were several years old and so I accepted their faults as possibly abuse from previous owners. I bought my 2003 Malibu in September 2004 with the new car smell and remaining factory warranty. This is the closest to a new car I've ever owned. I'm a gentle driver and rarely ever drive long distance nor heavy stop and go traffic jams. I'm eager to replace this car before it becomes an even bigger money pit.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
I hope its a cheap fix and you can enjoy the car. They do look good and I was thinking about one for my son until a little checking showed how trouble prone they are...We ended up getting him a civic .good luck

Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
I hope its a cheap fix and you can enjoy the car. They do look good and I was thinking about one for my son until a little checking showed how trouble prone they are...We ended up getting him a civic .good luck
If interested in the body style I have, look for the Chevrolet Classic Malibu (it won't have the Malibu name). It's the same body and suspension as mine, but it has the GM 2.2L Ecotec engine for much better fuel economy. Wish I could have afforded to replace my engine with the 2.2L. Just not worth the money right now.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Doa egr :d

won't let me do caps or emo's man..... WTF?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
The last intermittent check engine light I had on my F150 V8 was the alternator was quitting on me. It was really odd but no other warning lights ever showed.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
egr, the killer of engines.
You'd puke too if you had to breath your own farts.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Agreed. I knew about problems with the early Malibus. I innocently believed that by the last model, GM would have corrected their problems. Boy was I wrong. They did improve engine horsepower and handling in 2000. Have had warped rotors, intake gasket leak, PassLock Theft Deterrent system stop recognizing my keys, and multiple AC control panel replacements before getting one that actually worked correctly. It's been paid off for a while now. Been waiting for my wife's car to be paid off before buying a replacement car. Not going to be a GM product. I've only owned GM all my adult life since 1986. Those early cars were several years old and so I accepted their faults as possibly abuse from previous owners. I bought my 2003 Malibu in September 2004 with the new car smell and remaining factory warranty. This is the closest to a new car I've ever owned. I'm a gentle driver and rarely ever drive long distance nor heavy stop and go traffic jams. I'm eager to replace this car before it becomes an even bigger money pit.
Early Malibus were '64 - '67s and had no significant problems. The last real Malibus were built for 1983.

GM's near death experience was the inevitable result of phasing out, by the early to mid-80s, all of the great cars they built in the past and instead shamelessly slapping the names of those great cars on transverse-engine FWD crap. Best to avoid them all.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Early Malibus were '64 - '67s and had no significant problems. The last real Malibus were built for 1983.

GM's near death experience was the inevitable result of phasing out, by the early to mid-80s, all of the great cars they built in the past and instead shamelessly slapping the names of those great cars on transverse-engine FWD crap. Best to avoid them all.
Is isn't FWD that makes it crap, it's the fact that it's American. Funny how the Japanese seem to not have any trouble with their FWD cars.

My sister had a new '01 Malibu. The cat converter failed around 30k miles, something had to be done to the cylinder heads under recall, the tail lights filled with water, etc, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive