Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
I think she was going for coolness and not safety - arean't all 16 year olds invincible? Anyway, thanks for the input - I understand and share your concerns...just curious to get a varied cross section of people so that when I tell her why we didn't get it for her, we can blame you guys!
Best of luck, Dougnaie! That's right, I fogot that teenagers are invincible and immortal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Having owned a '71 Kombi, I can tell you this is the poorest choice of vehicle to give a young driver. This vehicle is not for an inexperienced driver. They are underpowered ( trust me), not very good brakes on early models (the '71 is the first year for disc brakes), and there is no heat. Not just poor, none. I used to have to scrape the inside of my windshield. Plus, they leak oil like crazy, always need tweeking of some sort, and really should be owned by people who like to work on cars. I've owned a few air-cooled vehicles, and they are not easy to deal with.

The safety issue is the number one thing. If you were to get hit in the front of one of those, the entire front end will cave in on your legs. Not a vehicle to give the worst segment of drivers on the road in terms of accidents and fatalities. If she wants a VW, get her a New Beetle. Cute, fun to drive and they have HEAT. You will need it in Conn. Sorry, Doug. It's a no for me.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
i so want a vw buses its been my dream for so long, but what are the bad thing about them. are they ok in snow and what abut heating.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
Longtime vw and current vw bus owner. I would have to say no. Buy something newer, safer, and more reliabile than any 30-40 car could ever be.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
if she must have a VW maybe look at a late model GTI they are alot more reliable and easy to operate than a 50 year old air cooled VW micro bus that are very underpowered which can just as dangerous as a overpowered car for younger drivers plus the hassle of dealing with the carbs is just not worth it unless you are and enthusiast and like to tinker with them a modren F.I. car would be better suited to some just learning how to drive and maintain a car.

Last edited by GTOlover; 12-15-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
I don't know what it is about teenage girls that seem to make them want one...both of my daughters went through that phase, and no way on God's green earth did I let them have one.

Apart from the safety issues (ever see one after a head on collision?), heat issues, power issues, handling issues, fuel economy issues, it's a great machine! (Actually, they are easy to work on, which is a plus, because you will be.)

Most people I know today who want one have never driven one.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I agree with those that say an old VW bus is a terrible choice for a 16 yr. old driver. Warm OR cold weather.

Safety is THE issue with drivers this age. The only good thing about the bus is its height and view out the front. But that height also creates its poor stability in cross winds and I bet it carries high rollover risk.

It doesn't even have an airbag. Do you want your child driving in a vehicle that could kill her in a collision that wouldn't scratch her if she was in a Honda Fit?

One thing about teenage drivers - they are nowhere near the driver they think they are. And they get in accidents because they get hit by other vehicles. They are in the wrong lane, turn suddenly, talk on the phone, etc.

Normally I'd say horsepower is a bad thing with teenagers. But an underpowered car has its own danger. It can't accelerate to avoid an accident. It will hold up cars getting up to speed.

BTW - I have two teenage drivers now and one that will be 16 next summer.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
What is so funny.
Owners have always stated they can work on VW's themselves. The real problem is that you are always working on them, always!
Getting a mechanic to work on them is easy, just very expensive. So, cheap bastards we are - we do it ourselves.
I have had 6 beetles, two buses and currently a 74 thing. I can't drive it around the block without working on it.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I agree with those that say an old VW bus is a terrible choice for a 16 yr. old driver. Warm OR cold weather.

Safety is THE issue with drivers this age. The only good thing about the bus is its height and view out the front. But that height also creates its poor stability in cross winds and I bet it carries high rollover risk.

It doesn't even have an airbag. Do you want your child driving in a vehicle that could kill her in a collision that wouldn't scratch her if she was in a Honda Fit?

One thing about teenage drivers - they are nowhere near the driver they think they are. And they get in accidents because they get hit by other vehicles. They are in the wrong lane, turn suddenly, talk on the phone, etc.

Normally I'd say horsepower is a bad thing with teenagers. But an underpowered car has its own danger. It can't accelerate to avoid an accident. It will hold up cars getting up to speed.

BTW - I have two teenage drivers now and one that will be 16 next summer.
I guarentee you, I'd be able to keep up with traffic anywhere in the states with my 86hp Corolla, don't need much more than that. 100hp will easily do.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
Get a Pinto and cross your fingers. Moving from Cali to CT must suck. I would know since I lived in CT for awhile. It is ah-boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive