Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times

Advertisements

2006 Camry with 55,000 miles on it.

I don't like it and would prefer a 2006 Accord. I made a mistake in getting the Camry--very uncomfortable seats, poor gas mileage, it's too big for me.

But I have kept the Cam very well maintained, so it's a gamble on switching to an Accord where I may not no how it was treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Trade it in?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Trade it in?
Yeah but where? I Honda dealer is not going to want Toyota on their lot. And a Toyota dealer isn't going to have any Honda's for trade.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:05 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
I have traded many vehicles in my time. The dealer could care less of the make your trading. Havent you ever driven by a dealership and seen at least one of ever type of used car there? If your worried they are going to lowball you well, they all do. You are not going to get a better deal just because you are at a vehicle specific dealership. Honda though..really??

Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah but where? I Honda dealer is not going to want Toyota on their lot. And a Toyota dealer isn't going to have any Honda's for trade.
Did you actually look at the used inventory at the Honda dealer, or did you just dream this up and decide that you must be right before bothering to try?

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-08-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
The Accord is a fine car. But beware getting one with a V6 engine mated with an automatic transmission. Hondas of that general vintage, with that configuration (this goes for most Acuras, too), are notorious for developing transmission issues around 100k. I had to replace the transmission on my '99 Acura TL at the 100k mark, wish I had known this was a common issue beforehand.

If you get one, either get a 4-cylinder engine, or a manual transmission.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
The Accord is a fine car. But beware getting one with a V6 engine mated with an automatic transmission. Hondas of that general vintage, with that configuration (this goes for most Acuras, too), are notorious for developing transmission issues around 100k. I had to replace the transmission on my '99 Acura TL at the 100k mark, wish I had known this was a common issue beforehand.

If you get one, either get a 4-cylinder engine, or a manual transmission.
Are there any warning signs of this? I actually have a 2006 V6 Accord with automatic transmission and about 97k or 98k miles...

Old 12-08-2012, 11:21 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
a 2005+ Accord or Acura V6 should not have the transmission issue that the plagued the earlier models, where not every V6 was affected, either, just certain VINs. Now, if it has not been maintained properly, then you could find a problem, but the failure rate is much lower, since the issue was fixed by 2003-2004, though there were Accord transmission issues with some 2004s.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-09-2012, 01:15 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
2006 Camry with 55,000 miles on it.

I don't like it and would prefer a 2006 Accord. I made a mistake in getting the Camry--very uncomfortable seats, poor gas mileage, it's too big for me.

But I have kept the Cam very well maintained, so it's a gamble on switching to an Accord where I may not no how it was treated.
That's weird that you think the Camry seats are uncomfortable. I find the Camry seats (of every generation, including the 2002-2006's, of which I've driven many) to be the most comfortable of any non-luxury sedan on the market. I had a 2007 Accord (same as the 2006 model year) and found those seats to be very uncomfortable on drives longer than 15 minutes. The Accord seats are rock hard, have way too much lumbar support that pushes into your lower back (even when the power lumbar mechanism is deflated completely), the seat thigh support does not change angle unless if you have the EX-L trim, and the seat back is not really shaped right. It took several months just to get used to it, and I never really felt comfortable. I traded that car in for a new 2012 Camry, and now I feel like I'm back at home, comfort wise. But to each their own-- maybe depending on the shape or size of your body one is better than another?

If you really want a 06/07 Accord, the good news is there are still many out there on the market in great shape with low mileage. Be prepared to spend anything from $12-17k though. You could try to sell your car on Craigslist and buy an Accord from a private individual on Craigslist, although problem is the majority of the private party sale ads on Craigslist are curbstoners who are running an illegal business and/or do not have title to the cars they are selling. So even if you're doing a "lateral" trade, you may have to go to a dealer to find what you are looking for and take a hit.

Also, you say the Camry is too big for you, but the Camry and the Accord of the model years you are talking about are about the same size. EDIT-- (looked up the specs on edmunds.com)-- actually the 06 Accord is slightly larger than your 06 Camry-- the Accord is an inch wider, two inches longer, and an inch longer wheelbase. The gas mileage is roughly the same between the two cars. Are you sure you are thinking Accord, or did you mean Civic instead?

Last edited by vegaspilgrim; 12-09-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

If you really want a 06/07 Accord, the good news is there are still many out there on the market in great shape with low mileage. Be prepared to spend anything from $12-17k though. You could try to sell your car on Craigslist and buy an Accord from a private individual on Craigslist, although problem is the majority of the private party sale ads on Craigslist are curbstoners who are running an illegal business and/or do not have title to the cars they are selling. So even if you're doing a "lateral" trade, you may have to go to a dealer to find what you are looking for and take a hit.
Sell your car on Craigslist,buy your Honda at the dealer if Craigslist scares you..

north jersey cars & trucks - all classifieds "2006 Camry " - craigslist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive