Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times

Advertisements

I am wondering because I always go the car wash up the block from me to get an oil change. Do they look at anything else in the car except for the oil? Like the belts, filters, etc? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:07 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Wherever it says "19 pt oil change" should spell it out somewhere. Typically they'll check the air filter, fuel filter, wiper blades, tire pressure, transmission fluid level, front lights, brake lights, check for leaks, etc. Standard stuff, that only takes a minute or two to do while the oil is draining.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Wherever it says "19 pt oil change" should spell it out somewhere. Typically they'll check the air filter, fuel filter, wiper blades, tire pressure, transmission fluid level, front lights, brake lights, check for leaks, etc. Standard stuff, that only takes a minute or two to do while the oil is draining.
I just wonder how many of these express lub places actually does check

Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
You should count your blessing if you are not leaking out the door.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:32 AM

21 posts, read 37,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
All of the things that they can check and change quickly that don't cost so much you freak when they say you need it which you usually don't and they bank huge profits on unsuspecting motorists.

I used to take my company's fleet vehicle to one of these express places and every time they say it needs an air filter. Every 3k? Really? So we tested them one time, changed the air filter ourselves right before going there, and guess what, they STILL recommended a new one even with the empty air filter box on the seat.

I would never recommend anyone to visit an express or chain shop especially without prepping yourself and learning a little about your car.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Off the top of my head:
1 Leak Checks underneath
2 Oil change
3 Oil filter change
4 Grease zerks
5 Check/fill differential(s)

6 Check all exterior light bulbs
7 Vacuum interior
8 Wash Windows
9 Apply reminder sticker

10 Check oil level before draining
11 Check Air filter
12 Check PCV Valve
13 Fill washer fluid
14 Top off coolant
15 Top off PS fluid
16 Top off Transmission fluid
17 Check brake fluid
18 Check battery power
19 Adjust tire pressure

#20 & 21 are check blinker fluid and adjust the Johnson Rod.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBEMFer View Post
All of the things that they can check and change quickly that don't cost so much you freak when they say you need it which you usually don't and they bank huge profits on unsuspecting motorists.

I used to take my company's fleet vehicle to one of these express places and every time they say it needs an air filter. Every 3k? Really? So we tested them one time, changed the air filter ourselves right before going there, and guess what, they STILL recommended a new one even with the empty air filter box on the seat.

I would never recommend anyone to visit an express or chain shop especially without prepping yourself and learning a little about your car.
Agreed. We have a quik lube type place near our house that I go to for our beater car and annual inspection for all the cars. Last time I told my wife to stop in and get the oil changed with 5w-30 synthetic, and that's it.

So of course, she tells them exactly that, and they proceed to tell her that she needs a new thermostat and new radiator hoses. (Coincidentally, I had just replaced the radiator hoses about a week or two before, and the car has no overheating issues in the TX heat, so it's perfectly fine.) So they tried to get her, she grabs her phone and calls me up, hands the phone to them and tells them to tell me what they just said, LOL)

Just went there the other day actually for another oil change, this time I brought the car. Before I went I checked oil/tranny fluid level, air pressure, etc. Told them to put air in the tires and 5w-30. Came back to me saying my tranny was leaking and was low on oil (It wasn't) and that the fuel filter needed to be replaced.

They do a good, quick job, but damn... I watch them like a hawk when I'm there so they can't mess something up and say it needs to be done. I'd take my business somewhere else, but they're all the same in my experience.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,777 times
Do they check the belts?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Do they check the belts?
Maybe yes, maybe no.
A better question would be...Are they actually competent to do anything beyond washing your car?
I ask, simply because the percentage of fatal screw-ups at these quick lube places is almost unbelieveable.

When you follow the typical business model of these places, which is...
Take a bunch of kids, give them minimal training, and then expect them to run cars through the shop at warp speed...
you are in danger of having the wrong fluids put into the crankcase/transmission/differential/cooling system/brake hydraulic system, and/or to wind up with leaks serious enough to trash your engine.

You would be far better-served in the long run if you took your car to a well-reputed independent mechanic's shop, where there is actual mechanical expertise.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
When you follow the typical business model of these places, which is...
Take a bunch of kids, give them minimal training, and then expect them to run cars through the shop at warp speed...
you are in danger of having the wrong fluids put into the crankcase/transmission/differential/cooling system/brake hydraulic system, and/or to wind up with leaks serious enough to trash your engine.
The next step is to blame the manufacturer for churning out crap cars. Dodge/Chrysler is especially sensitive to every fluid you throw in there. Most of those fast lube shops don't carry what you need, except for motor oil. Hondas on the other hand seem to be much more forgiving. Or they used to. Not sure how it is now. Some cars nowadays will even start glitching out with a non-OE air filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive