Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 AM

114 posts, read 145,989 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

if you would be in the position to have to buy 2 cars (one for yourself and one for your wife) and you won't spend more than 25K (+/- 5K) + 10K which cars would you choose?
New or second hand?

I have no clue about what to buy, but definetely I would like for my self a cross over or SUV.
The only two cars I like at the monet are the Jeep Wrangler and Mazda CX5... very different cars...

I mainly look at the aesthetic and internal comfort

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default need two cars

I suggest buying one just off lease and another for cheap off craigslist. Most cars with just fewer than 100k miles have at least another 100k in them for very little cost. Spend 15 thousand for the first and under 5 for the latter and you have enough left over for maintenance and repair.

Sometimes there are good deals from private owners on relatively new cars on

Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest buying one just off lease and another for cheap off craigslist. Most cars with just fewer than 100k miles have at least another 100k in them for very little cost. Spend 15 thousand for the first and under 5 for the latter and you have enough left over for maintenance and repair.

Sometimes there are good deals from private owners on relatively new cars on
thanks, but off lease cars are not usually very "abused"?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
$25K total?

I agree with Greg. At that total, especially with SUV's, your could split the budget and get two $12K or so, but they will both be older or high mile. That is ok, but you may be frequently doing repairs on two higher mile vehicles.

I would rather go with something newer and lower mile, and another older higher mile vehicle. Then re-evalutate in a couple years, and replace the older with a newer. That would give you one vehicle which should be more reliable now, leaving only one to more frequent repair, and it would get you and your wife's vehicles replacement schedule seperated somewhat, so you don't have to buy two at once.

A Wrangler will be tough with that budget. Very used, old, and higher mile Wranglers still go for an amazingly high amount of money. They have the best resale value of any SUV.

Just my $.02 anyway.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
My wife has a '97 Taurus Wagon, that she bought for $900, and it cost about $300 to spruce it up. It seems ideal for her, everything works and it is mechanically sound and even looks clean.

That leaves me about $24K for a second car for myself, which I don't now have an urgent need for. Her prior car was a 2000 Nissan Sentra stick shift that got accident damage that was not worth fixing, but I loved that 38-mpg car and would like one just like it. It cost $3000 when we bought it.

Both were bought in local private sale, just looking around. Two very nice cars that suited our personal needs, for $4,000. There's still $20K in the bank to replace either of them if need be sooner than hoped for.

If you instead need aesthetics and internal comfort, that's like asking people what sofa you should buy and what paintings you should hang on your wall.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-19-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Late Model (03-08) F150 ext Cab 4x4 with tow pkg and a late model Ford Fusion V-6 AWD would come in under 25k and both be perfect for any job or amount of stuff you could put or pull in them and the Fusion Sport is pretty fun to drive.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
You buy used, you pay cash, and drive till wheels fall off.
Dave Ramsey

It depends. Depends how large you or your wife are, how much you care about reliability and mpg.
Excellent starting choice are: Mazda Tribute Hybrid; Honda CR-V; Toyota RAV 4. If you need (cuz the other 3 will get you almost anywhere) a super dooper 4WD, go for Subarus, but they are limping in mpg department.

Stay away from anything that has V 6 or, for that matter is domestic made. Reliability is not the best as is not gas mileage. Stay away from German cars, or Swedish, ones have their reliability plummeted as of the last years, and the other ones are "Swedish way or freeway" repairs nightmare. Everything is special tool and those start at $300 and up.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Miata and Traiblazer, two cars I currently own.

Miata for weekend fun and great mileage daily driver, Traiblazer when I need more room or 4x4, need to tow something, run to the store or home depot

Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
The only two cars I like at the monet are the Jeep Wrangler and Mazda CX5...
You must be mistaken. Monet died in 1926, long before either vehicle was developed. There's no way he could have included either one in any of his paintings.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 PM

Thanks everyone!

Basically the amounts I want spend on the two cars are: $25K (+/-5) for my car and $10K for my wife car.

But reading your posts it looks like if you're all advise against new cars.
And it also makes sense to me now.

But in that case I would invest a much smaller budget than the above one.

What do you think about leasing or financing? Are they also possible on guaranteed second hand cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive