Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Here's how Wiki described the AWD system used in most minivans:

Finally, many lower-cost vehicles entirely eliminate the center differential. These vehicles behave as 2WD vehicles under normal conditions. When the drive wheels begin to slip, one of the locking mechanisms discussed above joins the front and rear axles. Such systems distribute power unevenly under normal conditions and thus do not help prevent the loss of traction, instead only enabling recovery once traction is lost. Most minivan 4WD/AWD systems are of this type, usually with the front wheels powered during normal driving conditions and the rear wheels served via a viscous coupling unit.

Four-wheel drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
FYI The Toyota minivans are full time 50/50 split awd all the time, like most Subarus....same for their Highlander (non hybrid)..

Last edited by LRPct; 12-26-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Finally, many lower-cost vehicles entirely eliminate the center differential. These vehicles behave as 2WD vehicles under normal conditions. When the drive wheels begin to slip, one of the locking mechanisms discussed above joins the front and rear axles. Such systems distribute power unevenly under normal conditions and thus do not help prevent the loss of traction, instead only enabling recovery once traction is lost. Most minivan 4WD/AWD systems are of this type, usually with the front wheels powered during normal driving conditions and the rear wheels served via a viscous coupling unit.

Sounds about right. When I was researching cars looking to replace my last Jeep, a number of crossovers got crossed off my list right off the bat for half-a**ed AWD. I looked at Subaru, Jeep and Audi for "actual" AWD vehicles, everything else I looked at had straight 4x4. I wound up buying another Jeep, haven't regretted it. My dad has a Subie Tribeca, I drove with him in the snow out in Nebraska this past weekend. The thing didn't even so much as twitch when he drove right into unplowed snow, it just mowed through.

Here in VA, we either get no snow at all, an inch, or a foot. I'm considered essential personnel, so I need to be able to get to work (or home) regardless. If it snows that much, the Camry we have stays parked. It does well in the snow, but has no ground clearance. I'd just as soon rather drive the Jeep anyway.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I always wondered why subaru never made a van. If I had to choose from a list of vehicles without a transfer case I would certainly take a subie.

The new forester has gotten rather large, it is almost minivan sized. Might be worth a look.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
FYI- my wife has an 06 AWD Rav4 and its taken her thru the worst NE storms for going on 7 winters now, Never have to put it in awd and the stability control and traction control makes the worst situation absolutely passable under any condition,. Modern technology is your friend. Embrace it

Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I live in the mountains where AWD/4x4 can make a huge difference. If you want a new mini-van, the Toyota Sienna is your only option. You can buy new conversion vans with AWD but will be well over $50k. I wish others would put AWD in the mini vans. Or better yet, put sliding rear doors in SUVs. That's really the only benefit I want from a mini-van.... easy to get kids in and out in cramped spots with sliding doors. Plus don't have to worry about kids dinging other cars.

The wife currently has a 2007 Durango which is terrific in the snow with some Michelin all seasons (LTX M/S2). No point of getting winter tires for it, stops fine as long as it's not a sheet of ice which is seldom. Next car needs to be bigger, so we are going to get a Suburban or Yukon XL. Just wish 3rd row folded flat, only main gripe. And well, they are frigging expensive.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I would probably get a FWD van and make sure I put on snow tires. Then again if you get a ton of snow then I would spring for the AWD version of the Sienna.

I guess it depends on how often it snows. Here we probably have only 10-15 days a year when the roads are bad.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM

108 posts, read 389,721 times
I've driven my fair share of vehicles over the years thanks to my hubby's company cars. Trucks to Suburus, Highlander, Suburban, Expedition, Audi All Road wagon, AWD BMW sedan, only 1 FWD car (worthless in the winter where we live in the mountains even with snow tires), and a AWD Sienna. The Sienna was mine and I loved it. We had a couple of really bad winters while I owned it and it handled amazing. I think I logged 2K miles just driving over mountain passes with it one winter, never had a problem with with ground clearance. I drive a Expedition EL now because after our fourth child was born, I needed more cargo space and I still miss my Sienna. I use AWD or 4x4 for all the slopes, getting going in a FWD car even with snow tires can be downright impossible on an incline, and there are lots of them in our town. Our sitter in a FWD car has to park and walk up to our house because she can't make it up our hill. I prefer to make it all the way to my house!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

It's not that simple. All traction controls systems cut power to any of the wheels that lose traction to prevent skids. Some use a combination of brake/power reduction to any of the wheels as needed. But we are talking about engaging/disengaging any of the wheels as needed in a matter of milliseconds. In fact, drive a Subaru (this one keeps the front and back active as needed), and by the time you feel a lateral skid on an icy turn, the light has illuminated in the dash and the a signal has been heard warning you to be cautious. The system is faster to reach than you. The same for the traction/stability control of most new vehicles out there: Rav 4 4WD, Honda CRV, most Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and most US newer automobiles. All the wheel engaging/disengaging happens so fast that you have no idea it's happening.

I owned a 2009 Forester which later traded for a Toyota Rav 4 4WD V6, and on the slipperiest ice in the interior of Alaska where I have lived for over 30 years, I could not tell a single difference between the two. I am certain that on an ice racetrack the Forester has an edge, but when driving on ice or snow-covered roads both are incredibly surefooted. Put a set of Blizzack tires on either one, and you will be amazed.

At work we have a fleet of AWD Astro minivans, and these things are amazing on ice, too.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-27-2012 at 09:44 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
trying to get some thoughts on a family vehicle with "all wheel drive" capabilities.
Anyone have thoughts...
when you absolutely, positively must get to soccer practice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive