Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,898,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
Actually, yes, since I'm on a motorcycle I do get special privileges. I get to legally lane share and ride in the HOV lane solo... something cages cannot do.

Since you say "motorcyclists who break rules by sharing lanes with motorists" I take it you don't live in California. If you do actually live in California, that would just make you ignorant of the law.
I live in Arizona, and I'll correct myself on something I mentioned about motorcyclist privileges, they do have special privileges, like HOV lane usage, that's one thing I know, but as far as lane sharing, I don't think Arizona has the same laws as California when it comes motorcyclists. As I mentioned in my previous message, I do respect all motorists, and I've seen many motorcyclists follow the same rules as other motorists do. I don't know about California biker laws over there, but I'm sure they don't give bikers the privileges to do dangerous lane changes (zipping in and out lanes in heavy traffic). I've been in southern California numerous times (the last time in August of 2012), and I've seen bikers follow the same rules as other motorists, and I do remember seeing one biker on interstate 10 the last time I was in Ontario, and he was going way above the speed limit and doing crazy lane changes. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if something goes wrong, I'll tell you that.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM

337 posts, read 897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I live in Arizona, and I'll correct myself on something I mentioned about motorcyclist privileges, they do have special privileges, like HOV lane usage, that's one thing I know, but as far as lane sharing, I don't think Arizona has the same laws as California when it comes motorcyclists. As I mentioned in my previous message, I do respect all motorists, and I've seen many motorcyclists follow the same rules as other motorists do. I don't know about California biker laws over there, but I'm sure they don't give bikers the privileges to do dangerous lane changes (zipping in and out lanes in heavy traffic). I've been in southern California numerous times (the last time in August of 2012), and I've seen bikers follow the same rules as other motorists, and I do remember seeing one biker on interstate 10 the last time I was in Ontario, and he was going way above the speed limit and doing crazy lane changes. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes if something goes wrong, I'll tell you that.
Lane sharing is illegal in Arizona. Yes, a bunch of idiots on motorcycles here interpret legal lane splitting as being allowed to zip around at 90mph in between cars in free-flowing traffic... THAT would be illegal. In gridlock or slow moving traffic (below 20mph) motorcycles in California can legally occupy the unused space between two vehicles.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,215,022 times
What if a person in a car was to throw out a big cup of water or ice from his car not knowing a bike was going by? Stuff happens. The main thing we all do agree on is that people that take chances on bikes DONT DO IT LONG.. regardless of laws or who says this or that....I have never saw a headstone that read"Here lies Billy Biker" It wasnt his fault"...I had a bike and rode like a fool and learned what pain was...it smarts

Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
What if a person in a car was to throw out a big cup of water or ice from his car not knowing a bike was going by? Stuff happens. The main thing we all do agree on is that people that take chances on bikes DONT DO IT LONG.. regardless of laws or who says this or that....I have never saw a headstone that read"Here lies Billy Biker" It wasnt his fault"...I had a bike and rode like a fool and learned what pain was...it smarts
Then that person is an idiot and doesn't deserve to have a license

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM

I was just lane sharing for at least 10 miles on i80 heading into Sacramento. Lane split for about 3 miles back from Sac-town. That sh*t is tiring actually, requires so much attention to detail.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,441,992 times

MorFknBikes - YouTube

Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,215,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then again, you're the type who opens car doors at approaching motorcycles, and you're the type to blame the deaths of 4 motorcyclists on them when they get rear-ended by a drugged-out dump truck driver while they were stopped in traffic. So what you have or haven't "seen" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight.
Please no personal attacks.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,342,535 times
I'm not attacking you personally, I'm attacking the stupid s#&t you say around here.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM

1,095 posts, read 887,450 times
It's illegal in all states. This includes bicycles too.

Anything that is unexpected to other drivers is dangerous.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,927,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
It's illegal in all states. This includes bicycles too.

Anything that is unexpected to other drivers is dangerous.
You are obviously not paying attention or have not read this thread because it is perfectly legal in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive