Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
It's illegal in all states. This includes bicycles too.

Anything that is unexpected to other drivers is dangerous.
Perfectly legal in California - I have had kind-hearted LAPD officers roll down their windows to remind me of that fact in gridlock traffic.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM

337 posts, read 897,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
It's illegal in all states. This includes bicycles too.

Anything that is unexpected to other drivers is dangerous.
100000000% legal in California. You sure do pay attention.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
No matter how many times you type/ prove it is 100% LEGAL in Ca., the narrowminded are going to argue and rant and rave about their righteous views. If they don't agree with it, then fine, that is their perogative. But to argue it's not legal is just plain pathetic.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Video not quoted
Not sure what that was suppose to be, the biker was passing, not lane splitting. The car could have been going 35 MPH, for all I know.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You are obviously not paying attention or have not read this thread because it is perfectly legal in California.
Of course he's not paying attention to anything, he's a cager.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:04 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
What if a person in a car was to throw out a big cup of water or ice from his car not knowing a bike was going by? Stuff happens. The main thing we all do agree on is that people that take chances on bikes DONT DO IT LONG.. regardless of laws or who says this or that....I have never saw a headstone that read"Here lies Billy Biker" It wasnt his fault"...I had a bike and rode like a fool and learned what pain was...it smarts
I don't know. Isn't tossing items out of your car a violation of the law? I will have to check on that one.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
California Vehicle Code Division 11 Chapter 12 Article 1 Table of Contents

Throwing Substances on Highways or Adjoining Areas

23111. No person in any vehicle and no pedestrian shall throw or discharge from or upon any road or highway or adjoining area, public or private, any lighted or nonlighted cigarette, cigar, match, or any flaming or glowing substance. This section shall be known as the Paul Buzzo Act.

Amended Ch. 1548, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Throwing, Depositing, or Dumping Matter on Highway

23112. (a) No person shall throw or deposit, nor shall the registered owner or the driver, if such owner is not then present in the vehicle, aid or abet in the throwing or depositing upon any highway any bottle, can, garbage, glass, nail, offal, paper, wire, any substance likely to injure or damage traffic using the highway, or any noisome, nauseous, or offensive matter of any kind.
(b) No person shall place, deposit or dump, or cause to be placed, deposited or dumped, any rocks, refuse, garbage, or dirt in or upon any highway, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, without the consent of the state or local agency having jurisdiction over the highway.

Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981.

Throwing Substances at Vehicles

23110. (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle, metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

Amended Sec.613, Ch. 15, Stats. 2011. Effective April 4, 2011.
Amended Sec. 65, Ch. 39, Stats. 2011. Effective June 30, 2011.

I didn't see anything regarding water or ice. The law does state that you can not dump things out of your window if the thing could be a projectile that may injure another person on the road.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
California Vehicle Code Division 11 Chapter 12 Article 1 Table of Contents

Throwing Substances on Highways or Adjoining Areas

23111. No person in any vehicle and no pedestrian shall throw or discharge from or upon any road or highway or adjoining area, public or private, any lighted or nonlighted cigarette, cigar, match, or any flaming or glowing substance. This section shall be known as the Paul Buzzo Act.

Amended Ch. 1548, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Throwing, Depositing, or Dumping Matter on Highway

23112. (a) No person shall throw or deposit, nor shall the registered owner or the driver, if such owner is not then present in the vehicle, aid or abet in the throwing or depositing upon any highway any bottle, can, garbage, glass, nail, offal, paper, wire, any substance likely to injure or damage traffic using the highway, or any noisome, nauseous, or offensive matter of any kind.
(b) No person shall place, deposit or dump, or cause to be placed, deposited or dumped, any rocks, refuse, garbage, or dirt in or upon any highway, including any portion of the right-of-way thereof, without the consent of the state or local agency having jurisdiction over the highway.

Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981.

Throwing Substances at Vehicles

23110. (a) Any person who throws any substance at a vehicle or any occupant thereof on a highway is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(b) Any person who with intent to do great bodily injury maliciously and willfully throws or projects any rock, brick, bottle, metal or other missile, or projects any other substance capable of doing serious bodily harm at such vehicle or occupant thereof is guilty of a felony and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison.

Amended Sec.613, Ch. 15, Stats. 2011. Effective April 4, 2011.
Amended Sec. 65, Ch. 39, Stats. 2011. Effective June 30, 2011.

I didn't see anything regarding water or ice. The law does state that you can not dump things out of your window if the thing could be a projectile that may injure another person on the road.
Thanks for clearing all the debate up.If I have to hock a big luggie or empty the ice from my supersize coke from McDs I know I wont be arrested...lol

Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,427,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Thanks for clearing all the debate up.If I have to hock a big luggie or empty the ice from my supersize coke from McDs I know I wont be arrested...lol
Actually, it is illegal to spit on a public street in Ca. and you can be fined for it. Look it up

And you can be fined for throwing anything out the window that could harm another driver. Read the above post on laws:

Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,697,399 times
Alas the gray area. "Intent" though in California, coincidence is misidentified due to paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.