Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times

Advertisements

It's probably just me but overall I think 99% of hatchbacks look dorky as hell and kind of douchie in a way. I don't know why though but that's the impression I get seeing them on the road.

But most of the time it's always a guy behind the wheel. I see Mazda 3 hatchbacks everywhere and it's some close to 6" or above guy unfolding his body out of this clown car.

I get that it's spacier but why not just get a sedan?

I'm not one to think that only real men drive pickups and such but I don't think hatchbacks scream man at all. Compact, sedans, SUVs, crossovers, trucks and everything else. But those things. I don't know.

If it's not the Mazda it's the Toyota Fit or the VW Golf. I see 2 of those every 10 minutes and they too are all going ridiculously slow. I'm talking 40 on the freeway slow.
Are they racing capable and that's why guys dig them so much? 90% of the time the guys I see on the road here in Houston driving them are driving slowing than grandmas in batmobiles and soccer moms in their huge Honda Odysseys and stuff. They're driving and switching lanes and turning super slow like a student driver or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I do not own a hatchback now, but I did have a Volkswagen Rabbit, and it was exremely versatile, and fun to drive. I would definitely consider another hatchback. I am lamenting the discontinuation of the Nissan Versa Hatchback.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Why do people drive large SUVs? They're ugly, slow, have **** poor handling, are the first people to complain when gas jumps a nickel.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why do people drive large SUVs? They're ugly, slow, have **** poor handling, are the first people to complain when gas jumps a nickel.
Why thank you for chiming in with that helpful response

I didn't ask for people to bring in other stuff. If you have nothing to add to give reasons why hatchbacks are appealing to men in 2012 then move it along.

Back in the day 90s and such I can see why because they were more prevalent. But as of today it's all about compact cars, sedans, SUVs, trucks, and hatchbacks are a dime a dozen finally making a real comeback and I find it odd that men are the main ones driving them.

I mean everyone has always called the Prius one of the ugliest cars made and almost all hatchbacks look like the Prius's siblings. Yet the Prius up against these hatchbacks looks like the beautiful/handsome older sister/brother; I use to think the Prius was goofy looking up compared to something like the Honda Fit it's gorgeous.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It's probably just me but overall I think 99% of hatchbacks look dorky as hell and kind of douchie in a way. I don't know why though but that's the impression I get seeing them on the road.

But most of the time it's always a guy behind the wheel. I see Mazda 3 hatchbacks everywhere and it's some close to 6" or above guy unfolding his body out of this clown car.

I'm not one to think that only real men drive pickups and such but I don't think hatchbacks scream man at all. Compact, sedans, SUVs, crossovers, trucks and everything else. But those things. I don't know.

If it's not the Mazda it's the Toyota Fit or the VW Golf. I see 2 of those every 10 minutes and they too are all going ridiculously slow. I'm talking 40 on the freeway slow.
Are they racing capable and that's why guys dig them so much? 90% of the time the guys I see on the road here in Houston driving them are driving slowing than grandmas in batmobiles and soccer moms in their huge Honda Odysseys and stuff. They're driving and switching lanes and turning super slow like a student driver or something.

If you think this "3" looks dorky, then I would have to say you really don't appreciate a good looknig, economical, fun to drive car at all..
You should be so fortunate to own one.

Now Prius, that is dorky with a capital "D"
Bob.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If you think this "3" looks dorky, then I would have to say you really don't appreciate a good looknig, economical, fun to drive car at all..
You should be so fortunate to own one.

Now Prius, that is dorky with a capital "D"
Bob.
It looks like an electric blue hearse.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:39 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Why thank you for chiming in with that helpful response

I didn't ask for people to bring in other stuff. If you have nothing to add to give reasons why hatchbacks are appealing to men in 2012 then move it along.
Well considering your observation of hatchbacks why even bother to understand why men drive them.

It could not be anything like mpg, ease and fun to drive.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:

Why do people make blanket observations based on anecdotal and often incorrect evidence?

Once the words dorky and douche were used I didn't expect much from the rest of the post. But in response...

If you're that concerned with a car not being manly because the back of it lifts up, maybe you have some deep seated issues. Just admit who you are, and move on with your life.

Sedans aren't as practical for people who want to haul certain items. And many people don't need 4 doors.

Several of the hatchbacks you listed are sport compacts, and women typically aren't overly concerned with a vehicles performance. I seriously doubt they are mostly going 40 on the freeway.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:43 PM

21 posts, read 50,683 times
Quote:

Do you have a brain injury?

Old 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Hatchback's are ugly as sin, I'll agree with you there. Never understood the appeal of buying a sedan/station wagon hybrid. Why not buy a Crossover SUV? More space, you sit up higher, more comfortable, and usually can be had with AWD.

These vehicles do look pretty unattractive especially:

Honda Fit

Scion Xd

Mazda 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive