Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times

Advertisements

find someone who knows what voltmeter is and have them check output from alternator. If you have more than 14V, or just shy of 14V, your alternator is good.
Mof, should you be good looking or put some flirt into it, any parts store guy will do it for you for free and will not lie. It's pretty simple, you can look over his shoulder at the gauge.
Yes, battery prices went up. But it takes only 10 minutes to replace one, and battery is around $80-100. So the rest you paid them for ten minute job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:16 PM

799 posts, read 2,441,902 times
AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto etc. at least used to install batteries for free. I dont know if they do anymore.

And there are only a handful of battery manufacturers around. For the most part, you are paying for brand name, and warranty.

Also, a battery every four years in a rough enviornment like CO isnt bad.

Like has been suggested, have a store test the alternator, and ask them to recommend a good shop. Shop around the prices now if they agree its not doing its job. Better to budget and fix it now before you are stranded.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
NONE of parts stores is permitted to install ANYTHING, including batteries. But, like I said....

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
NONE of parts stores is permitted to install ANYTHING, including batteries. But, like I said....
This isn't true at all, said the former parts man.

Many stores WON'T, due to liability issues and concern about pissing off shop customers. But many national retail chains these days advertise simple installation of batteries, wiper blades, headlamps, and the like, so obviously it's not a legal issue.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I guess my question/vent is I'm always afraid of being taken advantage of as a woman who doesn't know a lot about cars.
The only solution is to find a mechanic who is deserving of your trust, and money. I'm a motorcycle mechanic (it's even worse on women in this field) and I can honestly say that you're not going to find that trustworthy mechanic at a dealership. It's just not going to happen unless you hit that one-in-a-million exception that proves the rule. I wouldn't count on it though.

So, you're down to independent shops. They exist because those who own and work in them couldn't stand the slimy dealer practices anymore. Now, there are still slimy practices by some (lots?) of these shops, but you have better odds than with dealers. Next is to find a shop that specializes. Normally it'll be Euro/Asian/American for the splits, but if you can get it even more narrowed down.. a Toyota/Honda or just Toyota shop, the quality of work will be better. After that, it's just trying till you find someone honest.

A good place to start looking (at least that I've found... I don't always want to do all the work on my 4-wheeled vehicles) is this website: Mechanics Search | Car Talk

You'll even find reviews from other females who post reviews about how they were treated. You can also network a little bit if you happen to find a shop with good female reviews (who doesn't work on whatever your car is) and ask Them for a recommendation of someone who will treat you fairly.

Once you find one, it gets easier as you can ask them for recommendations if you change cars, or keep buying vehicles that they will work on for you. I love recommendations from female riders because I get more business that way than any other single method. And that's going to be the biggest negative, good mechanics have lots of work. Most will fit you in, but it might be waiting a couple weeks for any scheduled service.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You may believe that to be true, but it isn't.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
They charged me 135 dollars for the battery and the rest was install...it's a 2008 Mazda 3. It was one of those things where it wouldn't start, I got the jump, and I took it right across the street because I didn't know where to go and I didn't want to drive it home and get another jump. So I know I paid for convenience.

I can take it to AutoZone and have them test the alternator for free?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
They charged me 135 dollars for the battery and the rest was install...it's a 2008 Mazda 3. It was one of those things where it wouldn't start, I got the jump, and I took it right across the street because I didn't know where to go and I didn't want to drive it home and get another jump. So I know I paid for convenience.

I can take it to AutoZone and have them test the alternator for free?
Here's what to do about your alternator.

1. Listen. Do you hear any kind of squeaking, rough humming, or rumble that isn't normal. If "no" then the alternator bearings are fine (at least for now).
2. Drive it as usual. If your alternator is not charging, your battery will run out of charge within a day or two. If everything is working normally, a week from now, you know your alternator is fine.

The bottom line is that this "mechanic" you got the battery from should probably not have access to your car again. Even though $400 is not an outrageous price to have one installed (the part itself is $150-$200), the fact that they're trying to scare you into replacing it is not acceptable.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
First of all, being a woman is irrelevant.
Many men get fleeced and your gender is not an excuse for ignorance.

Your car tends to be a big investment, and it behooves everyone to understand the basics of how they work, etc.

They have cars for dummies kind of books. I think they are great - bought one for my ex. It was fun to read and well done.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
p.s. A battery change is ridiculously simple. I figured it out all by myself as a 16 year old GIRL before google existed.

YouTube videos are great for simple home and car repairs these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive