Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times

Advertisements

What is the best around-the-house stuff to wash my truck with? I don't want to go to the auto store and buy things like, "Marvin's Magic Bees Auto-Shine" or anything like that!
Isn't there something simple, like a dish soap with water and a sponge, that I can use to remove the grime and get the truck ready for the real-deal cleaning/waxing?

The problem has come about because my city doesn't allow for us to wash our vehicles on the street (I have nowhere but the street!) ....and I figure I can get away with it if I find a way to do it with a few buckets of water and some sort of cleaner. Something like Dawn dish soap would be wrong, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Something like Dawn dish soap would be wrong, no?
No. I used Dawn for years, but only if I was going to wax it afterward (it would strip the wax). It never seemed to hurt anything. I stopped only because a local auto parts store had a hot deal on a huge bucket of car wash soap that lasted me until I stopped driving cars that were worthy of being washed by hand.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times
duster1979 ~ thank you much!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:05 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Just to back up a bit, the only thing I would caution against is some of these "newfangled" dish soaps on the market today with the little cleaning beads, they may contain some kind of abrasive that could scratch the paint.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
If you have a lawn, park it there and wash it so the soap/water don't run into the street but help keep the lawn green. I'd start off by going to one of the self-serve car washes that take quarters, $2-3 should be enough to get most of the grime off.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Dawn is rather harsh and will strip the wax off your truck. Honestly, you are not likely to find any general purpose cleaner around the house that will work as well as a specific car wash soap/detergent.

If you have to wash in the street/yard/whatever, really, do as Hemlock suggests and go to a coin-op wash.

You can get Turtle Wax "Zip Wax" car wash, which does impart a wax finish rather than strip it, at Wally World and similar discount stores. You are not likely to get a cheaper answer that will work right than this.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,202,611 times
One trick I have used is to wait until you have a good rain and the dirt is soft then wash it with mild soap and let the rain rinse it off...

Old 01-26-2013, 09:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,219,241 times
I agree with Hemlock, go to one of the self-serve power washer booths on a slow day/time (some are 24/7) and perform all the work there. Problem solved.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,071,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I agree with Hemlock, go to one of the self-serve power washer booths on a slow day/time (some are 24/7) and perform all the work there. Problem solved.

These are easily the most convenient for the $5-$10 it costs. If there is a ton of heavy grease and gunk (bugs, tar, oil) stuck to the truck your best bet is to run it through once quick, get some heavy duty cleaners (bug and tar remover, wheel and tire cleaner, maybe polishing compound) scrub all the gunk off, then do a finishing wash.

The "clear coat protectant" these places use is just a mild wax. It's actually pretty effective for keeping stuff from sticking to the car. It's not a replacement for a good wax or sealant, but it helps.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:34 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What is the best around-the-house stuff to wash my truck with? I don't want to go to the auto store and buy things like, "Marvin's Magic Bees Auto-Shine" or anything like that!
Isn't there something simple, like a dish soap with water and a sponge, that I can use to remove the grime and get the truck ready for the real-deal cleaning/waxing?

The problem has come about because my city doesn't allow for us to wash our vehicles on the street (I have nowhere but the street!) ....and I figure I can get away with it if I find a way to do it with a few buckets of water and some sort of cleaner. Something like Dawn dish soap would be wrong, no?

If you have some old POS truck that you don't care about then go ahead and use dish soap on it. If it's something you care about then spend $5 and get some car wash soap. Dish detergents will (not maybe) strip wax from every surface it comes in contact with. This includes door jams, drip rails and all the surfaces the water gets into around trunks, hoods etc. If you use dish soap you need to be prepared to go back right away and wax every inch of the car.

The only time i've ever used dish soap on a car was before I started body work during a complete repaint.

Don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive