Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 248,632 times

Advertisements

Please help!!!

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla, automatic transmission with approx. 37,000 miles. At our last oil change done at a local Meineke, we were told our transmission fluid was dirty and that we should get our transmission flushed. We didn't have the money and said no. Yesterday, we had the car serviced (we were about 3,000-4,000 miles overdue) and again the mechanic said the same thing. He went as far as saying our fluid was so dirty that there may be a serious transmission problem and said it could be a manufacturer's defect. Up until going to this Meineke, we had always maintained/serviced our car at Toyota but we moved last summer and decided to go to Meineke instead as it was closer.

I called Toyota this morning to check about defects and they said based on my VIN, that there were no defects, recalls, etc. for my car.

We have 2 payments left on our car and next month will be the 5-year anniversary so we have to get the car in IMMEDIATELY to meet the powertrain 5 year/60,000 warranty.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? Do you recommend flushing? Could we have a "lemon" transmission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
I have never heard of Toyatas having tranny problems - or at least it's not a common problem. Not like some of the Chrysler products... And at 37,000 miles? I highly doubt it.

Check your tranny fluid. Pull the dipstick and look. How is the level? Is it where it says it should be.

And what color is the tranny fluid? Is it a nice bright pink/red? Or is it brownish & dirty?

What does the dipstick smell like, down where the fluid is? Tranny fluid doesn't smell "good", but does it smell burnt?

Is your transmission operating as it should? Shifting smoothly?

I highly suspect that your local Meineke shop is one of those all-too-common shops where they lie like heck, scare the crap out of you, and get you to consent to all kinds of unnecessary things - all of which come at a high price. They want you to let them do a tranny flush, which will cost you about $75. And if they do that, they'll find other problems with the car. It's how they play the game.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Look at your maintenance manual and it will tell you the required maintenace requirements.That said that is the REQUIRED maintenance for you warranty. That being said iialways have the transmission fluid changed much sooner than requireed especailly with alot of city driving.My wife has a toyota and I would review the manual becuase its time as I remmeber for a raditor flush/refill and the brake fluid to be drained and new fluid also.Toyota as I remmebr doesn;t have a transmision change but i recommend it.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I have never heard of Toyatas having tranny problems - or at least it's not a common problem. Not like some of the Chrysler products... And at 37,000 miles? I highly doubt it.

Check your tranny fluid. Pull the dipstick and look. How is the level? Is it where it says it should be.

And what color is the tranny fluid? Is it a nice bright pink/red? Or is it brownish & dirty?

What does the dipstick smell like, down where the fluid is? Tranny fluid doesn't smell "good", but does it smell burnt?

Is your transmission operating as it should? Shifting smoothly?

I highly suspect that your local Meineke shop is one of those all-too-common shops where they lie like heck, scare the crap out of you, and get you to consent to all kinds of unnecessary things - all of which come at a high price. They want you to let them do a tranny flush, which will cost you about $75. And if they do that, they'll find other problems with the car. It's how they play the game.
My husband took the car in so I wasn't there. I don't think he smelled the fluid, but the mechanic did show him the fluid and my husband said it did look dirty. Also, my husband feels the transmission is a bit "sluggish" so being the car ignoramous that I am, I don't know whata that means.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look at your maintenance manual and it will tell you the required maintenace requirements.That said that is the REQUIRED maintenance for you warranty. That being said iialways have the transmission fluid changed much sooner than requireed especailly with alot of city driving.My wife has a toyota and I would review the manual becuase its time as I remmeber for a raditor flush/refill and the brake fluid to be drained and new fluid also.Toyota as I remmebr doesn;t have a transmision change but i recommend it.
Not to sound stupid, but I know absolutely nothing about cars . When you say to have the transmission fluid changed, is that different than flushing the fluid?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I would recommend changing the fluid every 30k. Personally I'd go to the dealer for that service. Just my $0.02. You'll want to get a flush and filter (if your tranny has one) change. Probably cost around $150 or so.

Each transmission is different. For example on my car if I drain out the transmission via the drain plug I only get 1/3 of the fluid vs. when I do a flush. Some cars might be able to drain the entire oil quantity with that plug. A "flush" should get rid of all the old fluid and replace it with new fluid.

Dirty fluid in of itself isn't "bad", it's just reached its useful life. Continuing to operate with "dirty" fluid will in the long run hurt the transmission. Basically what happens is as the fluid gets heated up it turns to a dark brown color and starts to smell burnt. That is the sign that the fluid has lost its lubrication and heat dissipation qualities.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Chain muffler and tire stores are notorious for recommending all sorts of flushes and nostrums, that you "desperately need TODAY!". It's 99% BS. Unless you have been driving the car as if it were a taxi or a cop car, it may be about due for a transmission fluid change but that's about it.

You should go to the dealer *if* they have a good service dept. which some do and some don't. Best of all find yourself a good independent shop, in NC you will find plenty of "good ol' boys" who are good mechanics and are proud of their work.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
As a former mechanic do believe they meant drained/changed and not flushed. You never FLUSH out an automatic tranny. The person was probably a young kid (not a mechanic).

Not sure about Japanese cars but American cars will have a tranny change kit that consisted of the gaskt and a filter/screen.

Automatic tranny fluid is highly refined oil and thin to function thru the intricate small parts.

As a poster said...the correct color is RED and if BROWN is BURNT and needs to be changed.

Had a friend who was told that his tranny fluid needed changing when it was a standard trans that used 90wt grease. When I confronted the kid he stuttered a second and went on to someting else.

Yes...they do scam to the unknowledged person if they can.

Whenever I'm at a parts place and they try to tell me something when I know they are wrong...I tell them that I'm a retired mechanic of 28 yrs and they will clam up.

Have the pan drained... pulled... and the screen (if any) replaced.

Not sure about todays cars but the old norm was 30,000 miles on American Automatic trannys.

Steve

Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a former mechanic do believe they meant drained/changed and not flushed. You never FLUSH out an automatic tranny. The person was probably a young kid (not a mechanic).

Not sure about Japanese cars but American cars will have a tranny change kit that consisted of the gaskt and a filter/screen.

Automatic tranny fluid is highly refined oil and thin to function thru the intricate small parts.

As a poster said...the correct color is RED and if BROWN is BURNT and needs to be changed.

Had a friend who was told that his tranny fluid needed changing when it was a standard trans that used 90wt grease. When I confronted the kid he stuttered a second and went on to someting else.

Whenever I'm at a parts place and they try to tell me something when I know they are wrong...I tell them that I'm a retired mechanic of 28 yrs and they will clam up.

Not sure about todays cars but the old norm was 30,000 miles on American Automatic trannys.

Steve
I think that's the best advice. It may not desperately need to be done, but it should be done anyway and certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Steve

Actually they do now have a flush and drian that is done by a machine that gets rid of all the old and repalces it with all new. Same as the radiator flush. If you just drain ;then you need to do it more often as it doesn't get rid of all the old fluid. Most transmission shops and dealers how have the flush machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive