Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla. It just hit 90k miles. Took it in for it's oil change (at the dealer), and was told "oh you need to do the 90k mile service" at the time I was busy, so I was like "well, I can't do it today, I'll come in next week." They also said my front brake pads needed to be replaced soon ($270). And that my air filter was dirty - but that would be covered at the 90k service so to just do it then. Everything else on the car was listed as "checked and okay."

Next week turned into 2 weeks because I ended up having that terrible flu.

I go in, and afterwards they tell me (another guy):

oh your car needs new struts, but we'll call the warranty company to see if that's covered (i have the extended warranty)

Also, your brake fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120)

your power steering fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120)

your "belt tensioner" is leaking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty)

Your belt is dry and cracking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty)

AC cabin filter is dirty (two weeks ago it was fine) ($60)

And you need fuel injection service! ($120)

Total estimate: $687 WITHOUT the struts, belt, belt tensior, or tax.

Now I take good care of my car. Always get the oil change every 5k or 6 months, I do alignments, rotate tires, get the maintenance check ups, etc. I've never gone from 2 weeks getting an oil change and all that's needed is brakes and maintenance, to being quoted well over what is going to be anywhere from $700-$1200+ after the other estimates. I also THOUGHT the 90k service INCLUDED fuel injection service, but apparently I was wrong!

I guess my question is, should I take the car somewhere else (I plan on taking it to another shop to get the alignment done because I have a lifetime service) and see what they have to say? Should I show them the dealer report? Or flat out tell them "the dealer told me this, and I think they are flat out lying when two weeks ago this wasn't an issue at all?

I haven't drastically changed any driving habits either. So either the first time my car was checked they didn't do a good job, or this time they are LYING. That's my conclusion.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Do you "need" it? Hard to say. Generally speaking they will tell you what usually requires service at specific intervals. When I had my 300 they told me every time I brought it in (once I passed 30K miles) to the get the oil change that I was due for fuel service or something and a myriad of other things. I never did any of it and the car ran the same as it always did.

Chances are you dont need it, but without actually seeing/driving the car it is hard to say for sure.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
No.

Buy a bottle of brake fluid and just gravity drain what's in there into some handy container. Should take about 10 minutes of your time and $5. Power steering fluid would be a good idea I usually go for 2 ys/50k. Turkey baster to suck it out, $3 takes about 5 minutes. AC cabin filter, two minutes to drop it in $10-20. Fuel injection garbage, go to Autozone and buy one for whatever they cost. They don't actually do anything. Belt tensioner leaking means it's on its way out. That's a bit harder so maybe take it to the mechanic. Struts are sort of a typical getting worn out by that age item. There's no need to replace them, but it can make an appreciable difference in how the car handles.

Whenever a shop slows down they start inventing work. Plus most those items are probably on the 90k service interval. It makes sense to charge $60 to do 5 minutes of work on a car if it's the only thing you're doing. Find a new garage, imo. Sometimes a mechanic is overzealous in selling stuff, but a good owner is going to be on top of that.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
Up-selling, common nowadays with dealers/chains and even independents. There is a valuable book in your glove box, it is called the owner's manual. It should spell out what are the routine things that are needed for 90K miles. It should have a severe condition schedule too.

If you can DIY, a lot of these stuff can be done. Cabin filter is ~$12 in pepboys and I think my 10 yr old should be able to change it. The procedure is in you manual too. Brake fluid flush is good to get, as mentioned above can be done at home.

If you are not into working on your own cars, take it to another shop, probably one referred to you by family/friends and ask to get the stuff listed on your manual. Just blankly asking for "90 K service" would get you to spend a lot of $$$. Good thing you walked away.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Did this mechanic do a more intense inspection?

Whatever is covered under warranty, sure get it done. Why not?

If the struts are not covered, forget it for now. As for bad brake and PS fluids, take it to a small garage for that stuff (if it's cheaper, of course). Brake fluid can go bad over time, because it absorbs dirt and moisture. Take a look at it yourself though by sucking a bit out with a turkey baster or something of that nature so you can get a good look at it in the light.
It should look a bit like vegetable oil. Maybe a little darker. If you suck it out and it's really dark, or has a bunch of particles floating around in there, yeah, it should probably be done soon...but it's not an emergency or anything.

With PS fluid, I don't think there is even a recommended fluid change time. But, if it actually needs to be done, cause it can go bad, tell'em to stuff it and do it yourself. You can simply siphon out the old fluid and refill. It won't get all of the old stuff out, but you will be able to get most of the old stuff out and refresh it with new fluid. You can do this a few times over time if you like. Flushing involves pulling the return line and sticking that in a container, then run the system - working the wheels back and forth to pump old fluid out as new fluid is poured into the system - little more involved and can get messy.

Cabin air filter? It doesn't make your car run, so forget it. Do it yourself, at your leisure.

Fuel injector service? If you aren't having any issues such as hesitation, or reduced mpg's, then leave well enough alone. Gasoline has all the detergents you need to keep stuff clean nowadays anyway, and injectors are designed to handle some impurities as well. If you feel like it, maybe go to the auto store, grab a can of Seafoam and dump some in the tank according to the instructions. The stuff works great in all it's applications.

****ing stealerships. I hate those guys.

EDIT: Looks like we're all saying the same thing lol. Your BS meter is well calibrated, beera.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
All the mile services are listed in the maintenance booklet for your car. If you don't have it, you should be able to download it online. I do a lot of the stuff myself, and sometimes let the dealer take care of it, but only if they follow the car manufacturer's service, not the dealer's, and only if the car is under warranty.

For example, if you can view pdf files, the one below is the maintenance schedule for the 2007 Corolla, but I have no idea if this is the correct one for your car:
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...MS_MS0019f.pdf

What the dealer does is to check everything on the list, and then add some stuff that often is not needed. However anything they check they could say that is bad or needs replacing, so it can be quite expensive. I just do most of the maintenance myself, and leave those that are too difficult for me to do at home.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I have a 2007 Toyota Corolla. It just hit 90k miles. Took it in for it's oil change (at the dealer), and was told "oh you need to do the 90k mile service" at the time I was busy, so I was like "well, I can't do it today, I'll come in next week." They also said my front brake pads needed to be replaced soon ($270). And that my air filter was dirty - but that would be covered at the 90k service so to just do it then. Everything else on the car was listed as "checked and okay."

Next week turned into 2 weeks because I ended up having that terrible flu.

I go in, and afterwards they tell me (another guy):

oh your car needs new struts, but we'll call the warranty company to see if that's covered (i have the extended warranty)

Also, your brake fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120)

your power steering fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120)

your "belt tensioner" is leaking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty)

Your belt is dry and cracking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty)

AC cabin filter is dirty (two weeks ago it was fine) ($60)

And you need fuel injection service! ($120)

Total estimate: $687 WITHOUT the struts, belt, belt tensior, or tax.

Now I take good care of my car. Always get the oil change every 5k or 6 months, I do alignments, rotate tires, get the maintenance check ups, etc. I've never gone from 2 weeks getting an oil change and all that's needed is brakes and maintenance, to being quoted well over what is going to be anywhere from $700-$1200+ after the other estimates. I also THOUGHT the 90k service INCLUDED fuel injection service, but apparently I was wrong!

I guess my question is, should I take the car somewhere else (I plan on taking it to another shop to get the alignment done because I have a lifetime service) and see what they have to say? Should I show them the dealer report? Or flat out tell them "the dealer told me this, and I think they are flat out lying when two weeks ago this wasn't an issue at all?

I haven't drastically changed any driving habits either. So either the first time my car was checked they didn't do a good job, or this time they are LYING. That's my conclusion.

Any input is appreciated.
Brake fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120) I would get the brakes bled. This is always a good idea and honestly should have been doe long before 90K miles.

your power steering fluid is bad (two weeks ago it was fine) ($120). I have never replaced power steering fluid on anything ever. Just keep it full.

your "belt tensioner" is leaking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty) Tensioner is leaking????!!!!! If they want to do it under warranty then let them. Personally I'd go out and spray it with some brake clean and check it again in a week to see if there is actually anything leaking. BUT... It does make sense to do the tensioner when you do the drive belts.

Your belt is dry and cracking (two weeks ago it was fine) (no number checking with extended warranty) You do need to change drive belts an 90K is about right.

AC cabin filter is dirty (two weeks ago it was fine) ($60) Do it yourself for $15

And you need fuel injection service! ($120) Buy two bottles of SeaFoam and a bottle of throttle body cleaner. Dump the first bottle in a tank of gas and take a nice long hwy drive. When it's time dump the second bottle in the next tank of gas. As for the Throttle body cleaner. Remove the tube leading to the throttle body. OPen the T-Body and spray it with the cleaner. Use a rag to clean it out. You will need to open the butterfly to get behind the t-body. Once done put the tube back on and drive the car. It will idle a little high until it learns what to do with the extra air coming in.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Your BS meter is well calibrated but if you don't know the basics of cars and turn your own wrenches you are truly at the mercy of the mechanic and what you learn with google.com

There is NO way struts are covered under any warranty since those parts are going to be excluded under normal wear and tear.

I would do the belt, if you have never replaced the struts or shocks in the 90k life of the car they probably need to be replaced, cabin air filters are normally a super easy DIY, the brake fluid couldn't hurt, power steering fluid...google that for some creative solutions to doing it your self, not sure on the belt tensioner , probably dont need the fuel injection service.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:02 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
There's a lot of stuff you can ignore, especially on an older car. Cabin air filter is one in my book.

Other things are very important. You want to be VERY sure brakes are OK and if pads are getting down this is a required item. If they do this they will probably replace the brake fluid along the way (or at least it will be minimal extra charge).

The other thing that is pretty essential is timing belt on a non-clearance engine.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Thanks everyone. Yeah I felt like the BS meter on their end was running high. Like they saw a woman coming and were like SCORE! I'm very unhappy with that. I almost want to call the other guy I spoke to and say I felt like I was being patronized as a woman, he didn't need to pop open the hood and do a rudimentary inspection for me! Showing me oils on paper and crap, that was annoying...

That being said I'm taking the car to my other mechanic, and I am going to speak to my dad today, who used to run his own mechanic shop, but of course now he's much older so it's not something I'm going to ask him to do! Air filter yeah I'm sure I can do myself.

Pretty much if I call and they say "oh nothing is covered" then I won't be returning until mile 95k just for an oil change Then I will just see what this other person I trust says.

Looking at the price of the other shop, I could easily do most of the other service for up to 50% of the cost. I just on the offhand asked how much to de-cloud my foggy headlights and they wanted $150. I called up another shop - $30 - I looked up reviews on the other shop and found nothing but good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive