Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I'm not going to read all this silliness, but I DO have to wonder:
What would the OP have thought when Ford brought out the Model A to replace the Model T?
GOOD HEAVENS!

I think he would have been that guy yelling "GET A HORSE!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:03 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Actually, I've found they generally have the same definition of freedom. It's just that the possibility of the shoe being on the other foot never enters their mind.
Bit off topic, but I certainly know it's possible, judging from discussions I've had with people who have drastically different political and life views than me, I can safely say our definition of freedom is drastically different.

In my opinion, the most prudent argument in this case though, should be effectiveness and necessity.

Will a measure like this have a significant impact on traffic fatalities?

Looking at the data, I fail to see how it would.

Given that there are other measures that can be taken that have been proven to work, why even entertain the idea?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
so if a car was built to mechanically only go 85 mph, what happens when your driving on a long steep grade and the car doesn't have enough power to even reach the speed limit?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
so if a car was built to mechanically only go 85 mph, what happens when your driving on a long steep grade and the car doesn't have enough power to even reach the speed limit?
So we weren't talking about a simple mechanical governor to limit maximum speed to 85 mph? If not, that would really really suck...nothing like going 25 mph up a steep grade cause your small displacement, non-turbocharged vehicle can't make it up the hill.

To pull 85 mph on a flat surface, how much horsepower do we need? I'm guessing about 70 horsepower, which would be pretty enimic in the mountains, unless we had a minimum of a turbo normalizing engine.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
We build vehicles to break the law because we like to break the law. It's what makes driving fun.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Horrible analogy. Beer has a use for people. A prohibition of alcohol is another debate. Guns also have a use.

A car going over 85mph has no use. It's against the law. It's proven to be dangerous. Force=mass x acceleration and accidents are inevitable at all speeds. Bigger speeds= more consequence. I'm not saying ban cars. I'm saying make them so they can't break the law. It's a completely different idea. We already have laws. Why not just mechanically change street legal cars to save lives and give law enforcement a break to deal with other crimes and distracted driving ect.
I think I'd hate to get stuck behind you on a one lane road.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If the speed limits are illegally underposted, drivers sure can exceed the posted speed limit (read up on Michigan's 85th% speed limit law).
No they cant. Not here in my state.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
No they cant. Not here in my state.

You can in my state.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Use of the 85th percentile speed acknowledges that 15% of the drivers are traveling above a speed that is reasonable and proper. It is to this 15% that enforcement action is directed. Studies have shown that these are the drivers who cause many of the crashes and have the worst driving records.

Modified
speed controls are utilized in areas requiring speed limits between the statutory freeway speed limits, 55 mph maximum speed limits on state and county roadways, and the 25 mph prima facie speed limits in business and residential areas. These modified speed limits are established by administrative action based upon a traffic engineering study. The limits can be set only by agencies having the legal authority and jurisdiction over the respective roadway (MDOT and county road commissions working with MSP). These modified speed limits are referred to as absolute speed limits and are not to be exceeded regardless of conditions.

MSP - Traffic Control Orders
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Es...ts_85625_7.pdf

How would a road be illegally posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If the speed limits are illegally underposted, drivers sure can exceed the posted speed limit (read up on Michigan's 85th% speed limit law).

Old 02-18-2013, 10:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Use of the 85th percentile speed acknowledges that 15% of the drivers are traveling above a speed that is reasonable and proper. It is to this 15% that enforcement action is directed. Studies have shown that these are the drivers who cause many of the crashes and have the worst driving records.

Modified speed controls are utilized in areas requiring speed limits between the statutory freeway speed limits, 55 mph maximum speed limits on state and county roadways, and the 25 mph prima facie speed limits in business and residential areas. These modified speed limits are established by administrative action based upon a traffic engineering study. The limits can be set only by agencies having the legal authority and jurisdiction over the respective roadway (MDOT and county road commissions working with MSP). These modified speed limits are referred to as absolute speed limits and are not to be exceeded regardless of conditions.

MSP - Traffic Control Orders
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Es...ts_85625_7.pdf

How would a road be illegally posted?

The politicians in a given community do NOT post speeds limits based on state law. For example, last year a street in Lansing, Michigan (the state capital) had a speed limit illegally underposted at 25mph and this road was a ticket haven for the local police (revenue generation). When the local newspaper ran a front page article about this scam, the speed limit was suddenly increased to 35mph within 1 week of the newspaper article. Gotta love politicians !

By the way, Michigan has non-freeways with speed limits posted above 55mph due to the 85th% law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive