Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times

Advertisements

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport -- two-door, automatic transmission, still looks brand-new. I'm the original owner and it has @ 80,000 miles. I'm retired and now put only @ 2,000 miles per year on it: going to the grocery store, medical appts, visiting friends, taking the dog out to run, etc.

I keep it maintained well and always ask for the best replacement parts available. However, one area in which I've been having problems is the battery. I've had to put three new batteries in it in the past five years. These were all Interstate batteries and supposedly the best available. I think each one had a 72-month warranty.

But the longest-term warranty doesnt mean much when you're stuck somewhere because the battery is dead (even though it worked fine 20 minutes ago to get you to where you're now stranded).

I realize that it's not good for a battery to let the car sit, undriven, for weeks. But, although I dont put much mileage on the car, I do drive it @ 10-12 miles every few days. I've had the alternator checked and it's ok (it was replaced a few years ago.) I dont use the radio/cassette player/cigarette lighter/etc. There are none of the new-fangled options that might drain the battery. The exterior lights are operated manually. The car is always garaged.

So now I'm wondering if the problem is actually the quality of the battery itself. Can anyone give me info regarding the most reliable battery? Cost isnt an issue.

And how long, generally, should a good battery last? I like to be pro-active and get replacement parts before they're absolutely necessary, but I hate to think that I have to buy a new battery every 18 months just to avoid being stranded.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
The best one is one that will hold a charge and produce enough amperage to start the engine on the hottest and the coldest days of the year.

If you're worried about the battery being drained, install a battery disconnect switch.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks -- but I was wondering what brand I should get. Obviously Interstate isnt the best brand or I wouldnt keep having problems with them.

I have a thermostat in my garage and the year-round temps range from 60-85. So it's not too cold or too hot. I dont forget to turn off my lights or have any accessories that would drain the battery so that's not a concern.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
DieHard.
You likely have 2 problems:
1. a small parasite draw somewhere, draining battery
2. corroded terminals

Possibly, alternator not charging well enough.

Here's solutions for you:

1. https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=sh...w=1920&bih=976
2. How to Find and Stop Car Battery Drains – DIY Car Battery Drain - Popular Mechanics
3. How to Clean Car Battery Terminals | Cleaning Guides
4. 2 Ways to Check an Alternator - wikiHow

Be well

Old 02-17-2013, 09:18 AM

Many batteries are made by the same manufacture.
I like the ones made by Johnson controls .

The company is currently the largest producer of private-label lead-acid automotive batteries in North America
.Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.
Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).
Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
I'm pretty sure the battery that lasted for eight years in my truck was an Interstate so I'd be looking for some other cause. I've bought cheap batteries that have lasted quite a few years.

EDIT - yes, the truck battery was an Interstate now that I see the photos. Pretty sure, I do remember it being green.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM

Thanks so much, ukrkoz, snofarmer and chiroptera. ukrkoz, I'll check out those links right now.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM

When the last Interstate battery died (after 18 months), the car was so dead that it wouldnt re-start on its own after being charged by AAA. And it had started just fine only 20 minutes prior to that.

I'm checking out the links in ukrkoz's post. (The battery terminals are very clean.) But I wonder: if the Interstate batteries havent been bad, could my driving the car so infrequently be the cause?

Old 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
PS. Modern batteries easily last 6-7 years, under condition of good alternator charge, clean terminals, and all relevant electronics running fine. Btw, after you have terminals cleaned, do 2 things:

1. buy some dielectric grease, and LIBERALLY lubricate poles and cable terminals with it; reinstall terminals and spray over with battery sealant.
2. before reinstalling terminals, have them spread open enough for terminal to go all the way down to the battery cover. Then, reinstall the terminal, and drill small hole through the cable terminal and into the led battery pole. Drive a small screw through both. What it does, it secures cable terminal in that position. As you know, battery poles are cone shaped; due to vibration, cable terminals slowly work themselves up on that cone shape, creating a gap, resulting in corrosion.

Unless you have side terminals.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Maybe it's time for a battery tender/ trickle charger for when it is parked for extended periods?.

I think they even make some that plug into the cig-lighter so you don't have to keep popping the hood. (if that matters to you)

I can let mine sit for a month or two in the dead of winter and they still have enough juice to start my diesel or gas vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive