Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

They should make these as the spare tire in new cars!

Cool new army tire technology - YouTube

Cool New Army Tire Technology Used on a Pick Up Truck - YouTube

McLaren Flat proof tyres for skid steer loaders - YouTube

LLANTAS TWEEL MICHELIN - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Flat proof tires are not new by any means. My granddad back in the 50's had a set of Goodyear Double Eagles on his 54 Mercury that had another tire inside the tire, kinda like the run flat tires that NASCAR uses. You had an inner valve stem and an outer valve stem. Problem with those tires is just what you see on the race cars. Run them too long flat and the friction of the inner casing with the outer casing creates a ton of heat and the entire thing goes to smoke. The issue with the tires shown in the vids is the heat buildup when running at speed which weakens the casing and lack of load carrying ability versus ride quality. Looks good in the vid but is worthless in the real world. Those skeltonized tires have been around for the last 20 years.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I love my run-flats.
Different tech, but worth it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Flat proof tires are not new by any means. My granddad back in the 50's had a set of Goodyear Double Eagles on his 54 Mercury that had another tire inside the tire, kinda like the run flat tires that NASCAR uses. You had an inner valve stem and an outer valve stem. Problem with those tires is just what you see on the race cars. Run them too long flat and the friction of the inner casing with the outer casing creates a ton of heat and the entire thing goes to smoke. The issue with the tires shown in the vids is the heat buildup when running at speed which weakens the casing and lack of load carrying ability versus ride quality. Looks good in the vid but is worthless in the real world. Those skeltonized tires have been around for the last 20 years.
Spare tires were intended to get people to a service station so they could repair or replace their flat tire. Except for full size spares, the use is supposed to be very limited.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:08 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
The Tweel is old, came out years ago. That "new" army tire, construction equipment has been using tires like that for years. All they did was make the holes bigger. I want to see high speed maneuvers performed.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
As others said, the technology is hardly new and has been around for a long time. The main issue with them for use as regular car tires is that they are extremely susceptible to vibration once speeds hit around 40-50 mph. The vibrations get so bad that the cars are virtually undrivable. Outside of that, they actually handle better then regular tires in things like slalom maneuvers.

In applications where speeds are kept low, like in large equipment and electric carts, forklifts, etc. they are often used and do a pretty good job. Most of the current development of them is almost entirely tied to things like electric carts. I doubt we will be seeing them on regular cars anytime soon, if ever, given that they have had over 20 years of development and still can't figure out the vibration issue.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Modern tires have gotten pretty darn good at not going flat. I've only had one flat in 20 years of driving. I do pay close attention to my tires tend to replace early.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Modern tires have gotten pretty darn good at not going flat. I've only had one flat in 20 years of driving. I do pay close attention to my tires tend to replace early.
Traditional air filled tires don't typically have a problem with going flat. The problem is all the junk a tire comes into contact with on the road. All you have to do is get a nail or other reasonably sharp object to make contact at the right angle and you're done. If a tire is going flat without being punctured then the issue is likely with the wheel (either cracked or bent).

Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Those are cool. I have "run flat" tires on my car, so no worries. Anyway, does this mean we won't see people driving at 80mph on the freeway with that little spare donut tire anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive