Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:01 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
i know what the skinny pedal on the right does.
I also know that when the acceleration lane ends that the shoulder is wide enough to travel in.

Have i forced my in trying to take the right of way, nope.
Have others move over , well sure they have but no law made them do it as they have the right of way.

of course they did, that's how traffic works

you see, i look for traffic coming down the freeway as i turn on to the exceleration ramp for an opening if not i don't go barreling into traffic forcing my way onto the highway expecting the traffic already on the road to yield to me.

the space that you are going to merge in is well behind you, it hasn't even been created yet (assuming there is moderately dense traffic) because traffic is flowing much faster than you so obviously you aren't seeing an opening yet until you get up to speed and catch up to the traffic flowing past you.

some on ramps in metropolitan areas have a entry control light.
Red you wait, green you go as their are openings in traffic.

yeah, like that would ever work in a heavy traffic situation. "no, i'm just gonna sit here at this green light because i don't see my exact opening yet, why the devil are you honking at me"?

so when that semi doesn't move out of your way what do you do, or during rush hr when the rd is packed?
And when the rd is full and the semi or that truck and trailer has no place to go do you expect them to give way to you.
How will that happen?

it's called zipper merging, most folks and even truckers that can adjust their flow (and certainly they do) can figure that out and will generally try to let you in and of course regular cars do because that's just how it works
t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
t
^ it sure would be nice if you learned how to respond property (quoting)

I'll use a different color like blue so other can discern the different people talking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer
i know what the skinny pedal on the right does.
I also know that when the acceleration lane ends that the shoulder is wide enough to travel in.

Have i forced my in trying to take the right of way, nope.
Have others move over , well sure they have but no law made them do it as they have the right of way.

of course they did, that's how traffic works.
Not all of the time.

you see, i look for traffic coming down the freeway as i turn on to the exceleration ramp for an opening if not i don't go barreling into traffic forcing my way onto the highway expecting the traffic already on the road to yield to me.

the space that you are going to merge in is well behind you, it hasn't even been created yet (assuming there is moderately dense traffic) because traffic is flowing much faster than you so obviously you aren't seeing an opening yet until you get up to speed and catch up to the traffic flowing past you.

BS, I can see the opening, so it does exist obviously.
an acceleration ramp, you accelerate up to speed before you reach the end of it. or even over the posted limit is, to get into your opening you saw over your shoulder.
How slow is your car?
Hint: give that skinny peddel on the left a good push towards the floor.
I can remember a time when it was called????? the ACCELERATOR PEDDLE.

some on ramps in metropolitan areas have a entry control light.
Red you wait, green you go as their are openings in traffic.

yeah, like that would ever work in a heavy traffic situation. "no, i'm just gonna sit here at this green light because i don't see my exact opening yet, why the devil are you honking at me"?
It works just fine in MPLS and in other cities.
No one honks, they wait until the light turns green.

so when that semi doesn't move out of your way what do you do, or during rush hr when the rd is packed?
And when the rd is full and the semi or that truck and trailer has no place to go do you expect them to give way to you.
How will that happen?

it's called zipper merging, most folks and even truckers that can adjust their flow (and certainly they do) can figure that out and will gen

This is not zipper merging, it's entering a controlled access highway.

So you just go down the ramp and expect someone to make room for you
I've seen some people try this dangerous move, thus putting others in risk of injury. What happens when no one moves, do you hit them?
Then what, do you stomp the brakes making for a another dangerous situation?

Last edited by snofarmer; 03-01-2013 at 12:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

"Folks move over for me but I never move over for them because I have the legal right of way."

"I see every opening that I will merge into just as I turn on the "exceleration" lane and speed up to it- I never go barreling into traffic expecting traffic to open up for me"

"I never leave a green metering light at the onramp until I see my exact opening- you just leave when it turns green"

"How can it possibly work when the road is packed, you can't expect people to let you in- This is not zipper merging, it's entering a highway (well, obviously its zipper merging because what you just said was impossible just happened

And I never have a problem merging into traffic unless it's some azzhole in a heavy traffic situation who actually thinks that they alone do not have to ever adjust their speed as others did just a few miles ago to let them in. I can accelerate to 60 in 5.5 secs and have no problems doing so and have a blast merging in safely into the flow of traffic, but of course am not foolish enough to state that I saw my exact space I was going to merge into just as I turned onto the onramp.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktothefuture View Post
Why all this agression on the road (and this forum). Some members (unnamed of course) will not even slow down to let a fellow motorist in. If you are not going the speed limit drivers will gladly overtake you even in a crowded urban environment and for what there is a red traffic light in 60 feet. Even after that traffic light it is a mad dash to the next one to stop again, Who exactly are they impressing.

Then there is the passive agressive things. I do not care for your tasteless music about murder and loose women, so roll up your windows turn down your $1000 stereo (why would you even buy such a thing) because you are looking very stupid.

I also do not give a damn about who you voted for and which social causes you support, so do not stick bumper stickers to you bumper you may think you look smart but you do not.

Also do not modify your car, it looks goddamn ridiculous when a 20 year old I4 Honda Accord pulls up massive rims, Booming stereo. And it is always the same guy driving, white around 20, thinks he is gangsta.

So in short do not be agressive (in a passive or obvious way) the vast majority of people judge you, you look very stupid and it is obvious to everyone.
Yes, when I have my window rolled up and can still hear loud blaring music from a car next to me (or even behind me) at a stop light, that is too loud. There is no need to play a "concert" for the entire neighborhood.

The bumper stickers don't bother me a whole lot as long as it is one or two. Every now and then you see cars with a dozen or more and I agree that is silly, but it is not like we can ask them to be removed or anything.

Better to be concerned about that which we can control like daydreaming drivers that don't go on the green light because they are doing or thinking about something else. I don't like to honk my horn, but had to yesterday when the driver in front of me did not go on green. It was just my car and theirs at the light, so I honked and they moved. It is seldom a good idea to honk the horn when there are several other cars close together.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
I know what the skinny pedal on the right does.

Have I forced my in trying to take the right of way, nope.

You see, I look for traffic coming down the freeway as I turn on to the exceleration ramp for an opening if not I don't go barreling into traffic forcing my way onto the highway expecting the traffic already on the road to yield to me.

Some on ramps in metropolitan areas have a entry control light.
red you wait, green you go as their are openings in traffic.

So when that semi doesn't move out of your way what do you do, or during rush hr when the rd is packed?
How will that happen?

So you think it's OK to keep driving on shoulder at 50MPH - what happened to your text book knowledge?

Can you define what is your definition of "forced"? If the guy who is on highway has to even slow down a bit that means you did not yield with "perfection".

If you can see opening when you are still on the ramp and accelerating that means traffic is light. In heavy and fast traffic you can't see until you are about to merge.

Again traffic light is away and they have no relationship with openings as we are talking about merging on interstate not a highway with traffic light on it.

Did I say that- obviously you merge into the lane when it is safe but this BS of yours that noone on the the highway has to even think of traffic on ramp is BS.

And when the road is full or stop and go you can even stop on ramp merge nicely - I have said that before just go back and read.

Can we know from others who drives with perfection like snofarmer does?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Can we know from others who drives with perfection like snofarmer does?
may as well give it up, I'm convinced the extent of snofarmer's driving experience is playing Grand Theft Auto in his mom's basement.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM

It's very simple

I'll dumb it down for some of you

If I'm on a road and you wish to enter this road and you make me
Alter my course to avoid you , you are causing the danger or are the
a-hole as someone mentioned.
The vehicle that is Allready us sing the highway has the right of way

Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
azzhole in a heavy traffic situation who actually thinks that they alone do not have to ever adjust their speed as others did just a few miles ago to let them in.
Yeah. From what I've read, sno is discourteous, has a "get the frick out of my way" attitude and is one of those people that drives like they own the road and believes that they should never ever have to adjust their speed to accommodate others. What do you wan to bet sno drives a Hummer or lifted pickup truck with a set of those douchebag looking fake testicles hanging from the tow hitch.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM

282 posts, read 438,390 times
Quote:
It's very simple

I'll dumb it down for some of you

If I'm on a road and you wish to enter this road and you make me
Alter my course to avoid you , you are causing the danger or are the
a-hole as someone mentioned.
The vehicle that is Allready us sing the highway has the right of way
But you have to have common courtesy when you are in the far right lane of the highway and you see a number of vehicles about to merge over. Ultimately you will have to alter your course, somehow, someway. Just getting over before the other cars merge onto the highway will solve that.
Your job while driving on the roadway is to be observant of all other vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, animals, etc.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM

I think some people bring this aggression upon themselves by not understanding the basic rules of the road.

If your traveling down a road and a car wants to enter the road do you stop and wave them in?

Is it a controlled intersection (just like entering a highway)
Hummm what is a control? a stop sign, traffic light, a merge sign, etc etc are controls.

If you have the right-of-way and the rd entering has a control like a stop sign do you stop for the person with the control/stop sign and let then in in front of you.
Of course you don't you expect they will wait until you have passed.

If your at this stop sign/ control do you hurry up and pull in front of them causing them to take action. No, you don't do that ether.
You wait for an opening or for it to be clear for you to safely enter the roadway.

Then I was thinking, we have inadvertently exposed a lot of tailgaters.

If your travailing down any rd you should be living a safe fallowing distance.
As long as 3sec. at 55-75mph that is a few car lengths of room, enough room for any vehicle entering to do so with out requiring any lane changes or action by those already using the roadway.
The car entering is now responsible to find a safe place for-them selves as part of the flow.

So if your not tailgating down the highway, there will be an opening.

Then the "on ramp"
When you see these openings in traffic you accelerate down the ramp(it's called an acceleration ramp) to match the speed of traffic, you then move over MERGING with the flow.
It's up to you to merge.

It has noting to do with courtesy, no one has to be if everyone fallows the rules of the road.

So if I run that red light and kill your family are you going to be courteous.

When you shove your way on to the high way because you expect every to bow to your wishes and you cause a accident and kill my family because you couldn't grasp a simple concept your right I'll be a discourteous a-hole.

If I'm going 6hmph pulling a long TT your right I'm not going to move.
you need to speed up and go in front or slow down and pull in behind,
you have plenty of time and room to do so.

if
IF their is no room for you where do you think I can go?
Shoving your way in and making my take actions to avoid a crash with you or others because of your actions makes you the discourteous a-hole driver and not me.

"Your job while driving on the roadway is to be observant of all other vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, animals, etc."
And to observe the rules of the road which are that the vehicles that are all ready on the highway have the right-of way-, it is your job to observe them and the rules.
Making the road safe for all.

Last edited by snofarmer; 03-01-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive