Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,491 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I posted earlier about looking for a "people hauler" under $25k. We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey LX last night for $25k! Base model, no add-ons but the tinted windows.

I've never had a new-new car, so here is my chance for a fresh start. I am wondering how to best keep the paint all shiny and fresh. Do you wax? If so how often? Automated car washes ok?

If it matters, we live in Houston. No snow, no salt trucks. Lots of sunshine though! It is garaged only at night. Just too much in-out during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 01:27 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Hi all,

I posted earlier about looking for a "people hauler" under $25k. We ended up getting a Honda Odyssey LX last night for $25k! Base model, no add-ons but the tinted windows.

I've never had a new-new car, so here is my chance for a fresh start. I am wondering how to best keep the paint all shiny and fresh. Do you wax? If so how often? Automated car washes ok?

If it matters, we live in Houston. No snow, no salt trucks. Lots of sunshine though! It is garaged only at night. Just too much in-out during the day.
Just like people cars can get too much sun. The summer sun here in NC is brutal so the car is always garaged when it's home.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,583 times
The biggest danger to your paint job IMO, will be other people dinging the sides of your car. Your car can be dirty as all hell and it won't like, chip away from personal experience. No the biggest issue, will be people damaging the car.

So when you drive into a parking lot look at the end furthest from the store. See those cars? Go park with them. Spend the extra 30 seconds it takes to walk and save your car nicks and dings every time some jackass swings his door open.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,002 times
Congrats on your purchase.
Odyssey is a great car.

First thing I would do is clay the car and wax once a month.

Personally, I would stay away from automated car washes.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,333 times
Even though you may go in an out a lot, keep the car garaged in the day. Long term sun can fade the paint, especially if the car is a dark color

Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Not much you can do other than park in the outskirts of public lots to avoid dings and shade the vehicle when you can, to protect it from the sun. The effects of snow and salt can be mitigated but the copious amounts of UV rays and the destruction that ensues cannot. Obviously use a window shade to preserve your dash

Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Rule number one, N E V E R E V E R use soap on any vehicle, unless it is extremely dirty with caked on mud.
Soap removes the wax coating.
I have owned over fifty cars in my lifetime, some old, most older, and everyone always looked brand new, regardless of it's age.
Here is a prime example of what any of my vehicles look like.
The paint on this Tbird is four years old, so it wouldn't necessarily show wear to begin with, but still, it has never seen soap in the time I have owned it.

If your vehicle is brand new, start by hosing it down with water,and using a soft towel,to scrub off any dirt.
After drying, apply a coat of wax.
I have always used turtle wax, and the results speak for themselves.
After waxing, in about a week, take a damp rag and wipe it down,doing about three feet at a time, folowed by drying with a soft towel.
Then, get a spray bottle of Meguire's ultimate detail in the black bottle, and spray a section, then buff with a soft cloth.
The results will not only amaze, but this shine will be there as long as you use he spray detail at least once a month.
Bu the way, my Tbird is not one of those weekend drivers locked up in a garage all week.
It stays under it's portable carport when not used, but is driven daily somewhere.
Again, it is worth repeating,STAY AWAY FROM SOAP OF ANY KIND, unless you are looking to remove a wax buildup.
Bob.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,073 times
I wouldnt use a clay bar unless the paint is heavily faded and oxidized, which wont be the case on a new vehicle. A clay bar is a big hassle as well, especially when its hot and the sun is shining.

I always used Mothers products on my car. I dont think theres anything wrong with Turtle or Meguiars though.

I bought the Mothers 3 stage wax set that comes with: 1. Pre wax cleaner, 2. Sealer and Glaze, 3. Carnauba wax.

It was a great investment and I still have some left more than 5 years later, and I used my hands, no power tools.

My first VW GTI was colored Flash Red and was pretty oxidized and beat. It took me around 5 hours to do all 3 stages but MY GOD it was gleaming afterward, i couldnt even look at it lol.

I would suggest getting the buffing tool if you want to take it to the next step but they can be tricky to get used to and you can burn your paint if you dont know what your doing....but when you know how to use it its not only faster, the pre-wax stages will work better as well

I love the smell of the Carnauba wax!

Also I hear the newer synthetic waxs are pretty good too, I think one is called "ice"

always dry by hand with the right towels, I use a rubber squeegee as well to get the bulk and then finish off with the towels

Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
Here are some car care basics regarding paint for the "normal" car owner. These are good guidelines that are not too onerous for keeping up with but will keep your car looking great for years and years.

If the car is clean, dust it. Get a California duster and so long as the car is dry, you can dust off dirt. This greatly extends the periods between wet washes by keeping the car clean. After you have washed the car, you can keep dusting it to remove dust until you drive in the rain or get wet dirt on the car. At that point, its time for another wash.

Wash the car as needed, but use car soap. Car soap is designed not to strip wax from the paint. Dish soap like Dawn is the opposite, and is designed to strip waxy buildup from dishes. If the car is grimy, always use soap and water - soap lifts and suspends dirt so it doesn't damage the paint when you wash it. A hose, a bucket and a shammy glove are good enough to do the job well.

Wax the car 2-4 times a year. Wax is a protective coat the protects the paint, but it wears off over time. Depending on how often the wax wears off, you may need to increase how often you wax, but 3 months is usually a good starting point. You can tell if a car has wax or not because water will bead on a waxed car, and sheet on an unwaxed car. If the water isn't breaking up into small pools and rolling around, its time to wax.

Polish a car 1-2 times a year - polishing "moisturizes" the paint and helps remove slight scuffs and scratches. Polishing is important in the South because it keeps the paint from drying out and oxidizing. Once the paint is dried out, you can try to rehydrate it, but its pretty much shot.

Clay bar the car 1-2 a year - before you polish, use a clay bar to get fine grit out of the paint. This is more important in dusty and arid locations where fine grit is more common and gets stuck in the paint.

Keeping to this regime is not going to require too much work from you but will keep the car looking great for years.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 03-01-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 02:33 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
I try to wash and wax once a year, ideally on a warm day in early spring. Classic rock on the radio is a must.

Seriously though- apart from accidents and dings modern finishes will survive nicely until...you stop worrying about accidents and dings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive