Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread not too long ago about my car shaking going up hills...

Here is everything that has been done since then, (all brake parts in the front):

Left caliper unstuck and greased up.
Right caliper completely replaced.
New brake pads.
New rotors.
New spark plugs.
Oil change and new filter.
New fuel filter.
Transmission fluid flushed and replaced, (as part of maintenance due to mileage).
Tires rebalanced, (not yet rotated as I have two snow tires on the front but apparently not in the back...strange...waiting on paycheck to be able to afford two more tires so can get rotated).
New O2 sensor, (check engine light came on a week or so ago, got it done immediately).

The car is a 2004 Kia Rio with now just over 70,000 miles on it.

So...got ALL of that done. The horrible shaking is gone, (minimal shaking left because I have to get two more tires for a rotation), the car has more power, the brakes no longer pulse, and they work with no fears....BUT!

When I'm making a very sharp left turn, (say, in to a parking space for example), whether I'm using brakes or not, I get a horrible metal on metal scraping sound from the front left. I just replaced the flippin' rotors...why is it doing that?

Is it something that just needs adjusting, (considering the multitude of horrible roads and potholes around here that are not always avoidable), or is there some other crazy expense about to come up?

This is the ONLY issue I'm having anymore. (Knock on wood.)

Edit: Keep in mind, I drive 130 miles a day, 5 days a week. I got all of this stuff done in February to first week of March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
You could have a dirty brake pad, mis aligned brake pad to rotor, warped, or it's just not broken in yet matched pad to rotor. You should take it back to where you got the work done and have them check it out. You should be under a warranty of some sorts for the parts and labor.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You could have a dirty brake pad, mis aligned brake pad to rotor, warped, or it's just not broken in yet matched pad to rotor. You should take it back to where you got the work done and have them check it out. You should be under a warranty of some sorts for the parts and labor.
Labor is free, (where I work), parts warranty...is it per mile or time?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:03 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Labor is free, (where I work), parts warranty...is it per mile or time?
Parts should have at least a 90 day warranty, brakes at least 12,000 mile warranty. Ask where you bought them.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
There is no aspect of the work that's been performed and parts installed that needs "breaking in" to eliminate a metal to metal contact.

A metal-to-metal sound that happens only when you are turning left indicates that some parts are without proper clearance to run properly and are loose. Because it happens on a sharp left turn, whether or not you are using the brakes suggests that it's a suspension related component.

Best to get this car back on a hoist and start looking for the shiny spots where the contact is happening. Shake the front end down as hard as necessary to spot the metal contact and repair ASAP. This type of problem doesn't get better by itself, and may be a safety issue.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:59 PM

If it was suspension, wouldn't I feel it all the time, not just when I make a very sharp left turn while going slow?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,413 times
Have you checked the wheel bearings? It sounds like you may have some ready bad bearings. Also have the tie rods inspected (inner and outter), ball joints, and motor mounts. Any of those could cause what you are experiencing.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:12 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,168,250 times
CV joint maybe or if any frt brake lines have been replaced and not routed correctly one may be rubbing on a moving, rotating part. This happened to me.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,569,699 times
When I'm making a very sharp left turn, (say, in to a parking space for example), whether I'm using brakes or not, I get a horrible metal on metal scraping sound from the front left. I just replaced the flippin' rotors...why is it doing that?

With all the jobs done, easy to mess something.You replaced rotors - did you replace brake pads?
1st thing to come to mind is dust shield rubbing on rotor. Does not take much to bend it during all the jobs. Thing is, and many do not realize it, when you turn in a front wheel drive car, entire powertrain moves on engine mounts. Caliper moves on guides. PS components move. CV joints go to the utmost compression/extension/angle.

Simple suggestion is - get her on jacks, start the engine, have buddy engage D and turn wheel, whilst you spotting the noise origin. But like I said - dust shield, or something stuck between dust shield and brakes. Had it quite few times on various cars. Next one will be bad CV joint. Or bad brake pads, down to metal. But I figure, they have been replaced.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
You mentioned the left caliper had been "unstuck" and greased up. So that sounds like that the caliper pins were dirty and seized. If that's the case, then that might indicate that the seals around the bolts were leaking. That would mean somehow dirt and water were getting in there. If that issue wasn't solved then it wouldn't take long for that problem to happen again.

Secondly, what about the caliper piston? This too uses a seal to keep crap out of the piston chamber and if dirt and water gets in there it can cause the piston to get stuck.

These are just guesses. If you don't work on the car yourself, have a professional take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive