Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Whenever they say so and so lost control of their vehicle, that's code for speeding. People don't lose control when going slow.
Think about that the next time you pull up behind someone on their cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
To me, our biggest problem is people not getting out of the way to merge, when they're in the slow lane. They either need to move left, speed up or slow down, to give you an opportunity to merge in. I feel sorry for big trucks, these little cars show them no respect.
My, how things change over the years. When I learned to drive, back when dinosaurs on the road were still a problem, I was told that, if I am merging into traffic on the freeway, it was MY responsibility to get up to flow-of-traffic speed, and merge in between the cars already on the freeway by looking over my left shoulder to see what was coming and make sure I'm "syncing" with the traffic, thus not making a nuisance out of myself and causing a bottleneck. I was told that the onramp was there in order to GET UP TO THE SPEED of the cars on the freeway.

Cut to nowadays: most people merging onto the freeway hit the freeway at maybe 40 mph on a good day, and they DON'T even bother so much as looking over their left shoulder to see where the oncoming cars are. They just dream their way right into whatever is going on and leave it to chance. Stupid.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
Hell, I say if you can't handle driving at least the speed limit you don't need to be on the road.

I was just behind a lady a couple days ago driving 35mph in a 55mph zone. This person didn't need to be on the road.

I can only hope people start getting tickets for this a lot more often. I hope it becomes a norm.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Hell, I say if you can't handle driving at least the speed limit you don't need to be on the road.

I was just behind a lady a couple days ago driving 35mph in a 55mph zone. This person didn't need to be on the road.

I can only hope people start getting tickets for this a lot more often. I hope it becomes a norm.
And if you can't handle acknowledging that if you're driving more than the speed limit you're the cause of any problems that arise (and they will), you don't need to be on the road.

After all, the speed limit indicates the top speed that you're supposed to drive on a given stretch of road. Yes, most of us exceed that at some time, but the ones that are qualified to have a driver's license acknowledge that when they do, they're the ones doing something wrong, not the people that are driving the speed limit in whatever lane.

35 in a 55 would have gotten the woman in question a ticket that WASN'T thrown out. The article indicating the ticket was thrown out stated that you can drive the speed limit in the left lane or between 10 miles below the speed limit and the limit legally in the left lane in Maryland.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

25,756 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And if you can't handle acknowledging that if you're driving more than the speed limit you're the cause of any problems that arise (and they will), you don't need to be on the road.

After all, the speed limit indicates the top speed that you're supposed to drive on a given stretch of road. Yes, most of us exceed that at some time, but the ones that are qualified to have a driver's license acknowledge that when they do, they're the ones doing something wrong, not the people that are driving the speed limit in whatever lane.

35 in a 55 would have gotten the woman in question a ticket that WASN'T thrown out. The article indicating the ticket was thrown out stated that you can drive the speed limit in the left lane or between 10 miles below the speed limit and the limit legally in the left lane in Maryland.
Then the Maryland law is promoting chaos. As I've said a couple of times, I don't speed (or at least hardly ever). But, that left lane needs to be for passing and faster traffic. It's logical and it just makes traffic flow better. I don't necessarily like to see people blowing past me at 90 mph. It's scary. BUT, it's more scary when they are having to weave all over the place to do it. Let them stay in the left lane and go for it. Other than them getting pulled over for speeding, that's the best way to avoid a crash.

If the right lane is for grandma, the next lane is for soccer moms, the next one for passing and for faster traffic, and the left lane for even faster traffic... the whole thing works so much more smoothly and less dangerously. If all the lanes are considered equal, it's total chaos. People are weaving all over the place trying to get around Granny (who is listening to her ipod and texing in the left lane) and you are going to have way more traffic fatalities than if some guy that wants to go 90 has a free shot in the left lane to do so. I'd rather have him over there than weaving all around me, because THAT is when crashes start happening.

The speed limit on much of our interstates around here is 80 mph. Since that has come into effect, traffic fatalities have not increased at all. So, as someone said a while back, it's not necessarily the speed that kills--it's what is going on around that speed. If it's like an obstacle course, crashes are going to happen and people are going to die.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Yeah yeah. We get it -- hypocritical speeders who demand lane discipline are the worst-est-est people in the whole goddamn world. Now that we've acknowledged that, it won't be necessary to drag yet another thread around in the same stupid circle for 4 or so pages, and you can run along and cuddle with your horses or something.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Drover, think maybe you're projecting much in your characterization of my posts (and myself)? I sure do.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Think about that the next time you pull up behind someone on their cell phone.
Got a horn? wake em up

Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Then the Maryland law is promoting chaos. As I've said a couple of times, I don't speed (or at least hardly ever). But, that left lane needs to be for passing and faster traffic. It's logical and it just makes traffic flow better. I don't necessarily like to see people blowing past me at 90 mph. It's scary. BUT, it's more scary when they are having to weave all over the place to do it. Let them stay in the left lane and go for it. Other than them getting pulled over for speeding, that's the best way to avoid a crash.

If the right lane is for grandma, the next lane is for soccer moms, the next one for passing and for faster traffic, and the left lane for even faster traffic... the whole thing works so much more smoothly and less dangerously. If all the lanes are considered equal, it's total chaos. People are weaving all over the place trying to get around Granny (who is listening to her ipod and texing in the left lane) and you are going to have way more traffic fatalities than if some guy that wants to go 90 has a free shot in the left lane to do so. I'd rather have him over there than weaving all around me, because THAT is when crashes start happening.

The speed limit on much of our interstates around here is 80 mph. Since that has come into effect, traffic fatalities have not increased at all. So, as someone said a while back, it's not necessarily the speed that kills--it's what is going on around that speed. If it's like an obstacle course, crashes are going to happen and people are going to die.
At those speeds, one person makes a mistake and you have fatalities, many of them.
Sounds like you folks are against speed limits altogether. I abide by the speed limits most of the time, because I'm not in a hurry. Enjoy the scenery, you'll get there in one piece. It's the idiots that don't slow down for weather conditions that put everybody at risk. Rain and fog blur your vision, slow down.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:12 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Exactly. Just because there is a speed limit doesn't mean there won't be people who go 20-30 over, and that's not my problem. It gets really scary when those people are lane changing every two seconds, swerving around other drivers, and being generally unpredictable in the other lanes. That's why I hate freeways that have exit ramps on the left side, especially exit ramps that connect to other freeways. Drivers that aren't necessarily going with the flow of traffic are in the left lane and there is inevitably a crazy person who can't wait a mile or so for them to exit who will move right and start that crap, even if traffic is heavier and it is clear they have no place to go. It's the same thing with people who won't get out of the left lane. If they think they have a right to be there just because they are going the speed limit, that directly affects everyone else on the road who has to deal with speeders passing the slow car on the right. It's much less dangerous for me and everyone else on the road if they just move out of the left lane and let the speeder pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive