Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do all tires have to match on a car?
yes. buy four new tires 24 41.38%
no. buy two new tires and use two old tires 34 58.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Okay, I put snow tires on my car, and the tire guy told me two of my tires were fine, and two were done. Now, it is time to put tires on again, should I buy two tires? Or just go whole hog and buy four tires that match? My car has 85,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Uneven tire wear is a substantial issue with FWD cars since the front tires are doing the triple-duty of acceleration, turning, and about 80% of the braking, often 2 of those 3 tasks at once. The only way to prevent this is with diligent tire rotation.

It's not necessary to have identical levels of traction on all of your tires, though if you have a lot more traction in the front than the rear that can cause the rear end to snap out during quick maneuvers or sudden braking in a turn, especially in low-traction situations like rain or snow. This is true even for FWD cars which is why it is recommended that the tires with the better traction (in this case, your 2 new tires) go on the rear wheels.

In lieu of diligent rotation, what I've done with my FWD cars is this: when it's time to replace the front tires -- and inevitably it's time to replace them sooner than the rear tires -- I simply have the tire shop take the rear tires and put 'em on the front and put the new ones on the rear. Then when the older tires that got moved to the front wear out, repeat the process. This way you get the most life out of each pair of tires you buy and you'll always have the higher-traction tires on the rear where they belong.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
You don't say what type of car you have, and that is all important.

For example, with some AWD cars, the tire diameter needs to be kept very similar between the front and rear tires, or you can screw up your differential. In addition, some cars with tires that have directional tread will handle very strangely if you put a mismatched set of tires on, say a different brand, or even a different compound.

If it's a 2WD car, you can probably get by with just two.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:02 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
No no no. Haveing different tires in any way can as you(op) experienced equals uneven tire wear. Fwd has nothing to do with it. The front wheels steer on most vehicles and that doesnt cause the fronts to wear faster. Alignments are the major factor in that and braking and jackrabbit(if fwd) starts. Because the engine on most, MOST cars is in the front in some fashion, the extra weight compared to the rear COULD cause them to wear faster.

And a fwd car with more rear grip is not going to break the ass end loose. It may cause turn like a dually but being u.powered they just drag along anyway.

Okay get four matching tires: tires come with wear ratings, you dont want two different compound tires like you dont want all weathers in the back and summers in the front. Itll save money from replacing them if you just get four new ones. Those worn front tires will eventually gibe you traction issues, then the rears will once they wear out. Get for nee ones and have your alignment checked- you shouldnt have uneven tire wesr that bad.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:48 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, I put snow tires on my car, and the tire guy told me two of my tires were fine, and two were done. Now, it is time to put tires on again, should I buy two tires? Or just go whole hog and buy four tires that match? My car has 85,000 miles.
If it's a front wheel drive, your two front tires should match. Same thing for the rear tires, if it's rwd. Matching front & back is not essential.

Note that there ARE some situations in which you should replace all 4 tires. On a Jeep QuadTrac, and on some AWD vehicles, it is absolutely essential that all 4 tires be identical. Also, I have run across sales/rebates that made me decide to replace all 4 instead of just 2. "Buy 3 get the 4th free" for instance.

Last edited by GarageLogic; 03-15-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
In both my RWD truck and my FWD van I've bought tires two at a time -two per axle - for quite a few years with no appreciable increase in wear or decrease in performance (as much as a pick up truck and a minivan can be said to perform LOL.) But I have good traction on bad roads, which is really all I'm after since these are "appliance" vehicles. I keep the better tires on the front for the FWR, rear for the RWD.

On my cargo van the tires are wearing evenly so I'll be replacing all four soon.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I have a Honda CRV 2005. Costco haz Bridgestone tires on sale now, $70 off a set of four. So, $530 for four tires that match or $300 for two.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,422,074 times
Having miss-matched Branded tires (all of the same size) isn't going to do any harm. Heck, I see several around my town that have 3 or 4 different brands on (meaning none or only 2 of them match). You won't blow up, have a roll-over, or die specifically because of mismatched tires.

But tires are meant to work as a set. They are your ONLY contact with the road, meaning the Only thing that keeps you in control and able to avoid hazards. If you have the means, buying a matched set will give you a greater safety margin.

In short, from worst to best -->

tires that are matched and need replaced -->> mismatched tires in good condition -->> matched set of tires in good condition -->> brand new matched set of tires.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I use the same tires on all 4 wheels. I use tires with good rain traction in the summer. I use good snow tires in the winter. I have extra rims for the extra tires. I do this because 4 season tires do not perform well either summer (lack of wet traction) or winter (very low snow traction). I have both FWD (Buick) and AWD (Subaru) cars.

I once used snow tires on the rear wheels only on RWD cars but did not realize how badly those handled (huge under steer) on snow until I put snow tires all around. That made a vast improvement.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Brand wise, mix all you want, size wise, its best to keep all the same unless your manufacturer recommends different size in the rear. Newer cars with 4 wheel ABS have wheel sensors and mismatched sizes can cause a different wheel speed and cause an abs pump to activate sooner or later and not as intended.

Different sizes from left to right on your drive tires can destroy a diff. Worst if its a FWD diff.

No matter if its FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD, etc you always want the best tires on the back. When you drive, if front tires loose traction, you can correct by steering and save it. You cant steer you back wheels. If you are on a turn and lose traction in the rear, you will experience an under steer condition which will be next to impossible to control resulting in a spin out or wreck.

If one set is in good shape, id just replace 2 at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive