Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
The only way is if when they performed the bearing changeout, they disturbed the caster-camber settings at the top of the shock tower. This can happen if the shop doesn't have the correct puller tools/device, by repeatedly pounding on the knuckle to get the old bearings out, rough handling. I've seen mechanics in my old shop beat out bearings with a big sledge hammer, but alignments were checked on those before giving the customer the vehicle back.

Even if the steering knuckle was removed to facilitate bearing replacement, by removal of the attaching bolts, nuts and washers, and then reversing the procedure, that shouldn't have affected the alignment at all.
Clueless.. OP said Honda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Clueless.. OP said Honda.
I apologized. Come to Wisconsin for a cup of my blood.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I just had two front wheel bearings and hubs replaced on the 2005 Honda Civic. The garage couldn't do an alignment - they don't have the capability. After this was done, the car pulls sharply to the right and starts to shake a little if going over 50mph. I'm thinking the alignment needs to be done. Could this be something else?

It's possible that when they removed the brake calpiers to change the wheel bearings, that they twisted the hose when they reinstalled it, causing on of the calipers to remain stuck causing a pull. I'd take it straight back and have them recheck everything.

And what shop doesn't have an alignment machine these days?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Neither hubs nor wheel bearings have any effect on alignment. I'm no mechanic but I can't think of any alignment-related parts that would need to be taken loose to do any brake/wheel/hub work. In fact, I would question a shop if they suggested an alignment after having done work as the OP describes. They would need to justify that in depth.

"they are potentially liable for a fatal accident."

IT's evident that you're no mechanic. On a Honda civic with McPherson struts, you must remove the spindle to press out the wheel bearing unless you have what's called a Hub Shark.

That will most certainly mess up the camber and toe settings upon reassembly.

Pretty much anytime you remove and replace any suspension component, there exists the possibility for settings to go out of whack. Take it back.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
I didn't notice that you're from Wisconsin. I suppose that means you're a Packers fan - and that means that I hate you and you can go straight to hell.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
It's possible that when they removed the brake calpiers to change the wheel bearings, that they twisted the hose when they reinstalled it, causing on of the calipers to remain stuck causing a pull. I'd take it straight back and have them recheck everything.

And what shop doesn't have an alignment machine these days?
My hand is raised.

Expense, plus liability, plus the time spent doing alignments would detract from other things, equals "No thank you."

Old 04-12-2013, 02:35 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:

Well, just dont going around passing your wild guesses as knowledge. You really dont have much experience and havent worked on many cars if you honestly thought you were correct in how many, 2, 3 posts... If youre not POSITIVE dont try to pass off to the even less informed as fact what you dont know about. Passing on misinformation helps NO ONE.

Ohh and the Packers suck..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBMW View Post
Since you're a mechanic, how often should I get my car aligned?
Unfortunately, there is no one simple answer to that question. Vehicle design, necessary repairs, road conditions, driving style, etc. - all factor in to the equation.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
My hand is raised.

Expense, plus liability, plus the time spent doing alignments would detract from other things, equals "No thank you."

That's why you have one dedicated guy to do it. Alignments are money makers. Not the alignment itself, but the 50% of cars that come in for one and have loose front end parts. Of course, they have to be fixed before it can be aligned.

Also, the new Hunter DSP machines make it so fast and idiot proof, I can often do a 4 wheel alignment in under 25 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM

51 posts, read 99,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Unfortunately, there is no one simple answer to that question. Vehicle design, necessary repairs, road conditions, driving style, etc. - all factor in to the equation.
My car is almost 2 years old and I never had an alignment done. It doesn't shake when I drive though and I take my car to the dealer so wouldn't they tell me if I need it done or not?
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive