Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Are you arguing that cyclists do this more often than drivers? If you are ... that is absurd.
It's not absurd. Most drivers stop at stop signs. Most cyclists do not stop at stop signs or even red lights. They often blow right through them. It's a very rare occassion where I see a driver completely blow through a red light. Bikers, on the other hand, can blow through red lights directly in front of a police cruiser with impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not absurd. Most drivers stop at stop signs. Most cyclists do not stop at stop signs or even red lights. They often blow right through them. It's a very rare occassion where I see a driver completely blow through a red light. Bikers, on the other hand, can blow through red lights directly in front of a police cruiser with impunity.
So most drivers are within the speed limit all the time? Or can they drive 10 over in front of a cop with "impunity?"

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Also, if we had more roundabouts, cars wouldn't have to stop as much.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
Also, if we had more roundabouts, cars wouldn't have to stop as much.
Nor bikes!

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
So most drivers are within the speed limit all the time? Or can they drive 10 over in front of a cop with "impunity?"

Those two things are not the same at all. Flying through a red light presents a completely different type of risk than going 10 mph over the speed limit. Having bikers stop at red lights is for their own freaking safety. Nobody wants to be the one driving down the street who mauls over some jackass who felt entitled to fly right through a red light.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Quote:
Nor bikes!
I live in a place where almost no one cycles to work so it's not a huge issue for me.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Those two things are not the same at all. Flying through a red light presents a completely different type of risk than going 10 mph over the speed limit. Having bikers stop at red lights is for their own freaking safety. Nobody wants to be the one driving down the street who mauls over some jackass who felt entitled to fly right through a red light.
So you are talking about flying through a red light without stopping, or stopping first to see if any traffic is coming, then breaking the law and going through?

If it's the first, you have mistaken me for an advocate of such behavior. If it's the second, it is most certainly an equivalency to driving 10 mph over. It's breaking the law, but it's "safe enough" and seemingly accepted by law enforcement. And both parties have sinned equally.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:38 AM

This is the scenario most people are driving to avoid.

Bicyclist Killed After Running Red Light

I mean, you can continue to blow through red lights all you want, but you do so at your own peril.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
This is the scenario most people are driving to avoid.

Bicyclist Killed After Running Red Light

I mean, you can continue to blow through red lights all you want, but you do so at your own peril.
You can continue to misrepresent what I said, and also believe that all drivers are model citizens who never break any rules, but do so at your own ignorance.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
So you are talking about flying through a red light without stopping, or stopping first to see if any traffic is coming, then breaking the law and going through?
Did you even read the OP? We're talking about cyclists who literally blow through stop signs and red lights (meaning they don't slow down at all). An "Idaho stop" is completely reasonable where a stop sign functions as the equivalent of a yield sign. But most cyclists are not treating stop signs as such. They are just running them because they can.

Quote:
If it's the first, you have mistaken me for an advocate of such behavior.
I don't have you mistaken for anything. I just don't think you really followed the entire discussion.

Quote:
If it's the second, it is most certainly an equivalency to driving 10 mph over. It's breaking the law, but it's "safe enough" and seemingly accepted by law enforcement. And both parties have sinned equally.
Again, we're talking about cyclists who blow through stop signs. I think you're interpreting this as some overall "War on Cyclists," and by extension, a "War on Urbanity" or something. I think that most of us are telling cyclists not to blow through stop signs for your own f*cking good.

I'm personally a cyclist and a driver. And as both, I comply with traffic laws. It's really not that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive