Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM

227 posts, read 1,104,705 times

Advertisements

If it s Mercedes then hell yeah there like 100,000!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As a teenager in the 80s, my dream car was a red 380SL convertible.

I think Beverly Hills Cop had a little something to do with it.
Now we're talking.

Last edited by evergraystate; 04-28-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Quote:
You could live with your parents and make 30k a year and pay 1500 dollar lease payment.
Do people actually do stuff like that?

For me, I see a lot of the older BMW, Merc and Lexus models out there. A lot of them seem to be in poor running and/or cosmetic shape. To me, that's a poser there. I'd rather have a newer car that is more common that can provide me solid transportation and lower repair/maintenance costs than something that seems cool but gives me problems or costs a lot of run. If it's not practical, it's not worth a thing to me. Imagine means nothing to me as I never had one.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD;29329293[B
]And a Timex looks like a Rolex because they are both, after all, watches. Often the difference between average and great is subtle,[/b] recognized only by connoisseurs or at least someone with an interest in the subject. A $30 bottle of wine Vs $100 bottle Vs $1000 bottle, regular wool Vs cashmere Vs the different grades of cashmere, a $1000 crystal chandelier Vs a $10,000 one, etc. Prestige is often lost on the majority, and that is ok. I dont particularly like the type of person who buys something solely for "prestige", but I respect people who buy things out of passion. Often these items carry "prestige" as a side effect.

I agree with this. The engineering is what makes the difference. Which most often cannot be seen.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:03 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Nothing special about an S class. Its just another taxi.

Or 7 series for that matter.
Those are 80k cars? They look like crap. No shape to them at all! The outside needs to attract me before I even step into a car. Your paying 80k for a name and a computer inside that can take you places. Ill stick wit my 01 mustang convertible. It is sleek and slender....that is too boxy or too "baloony" if you will.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
If it s Mercedes then hell yeah there like 100,000!

We're not talking about price/how much they cost.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
We're not talking about price/how much they cost.
Yeah I see what you're saying, you're talking more about exclusivity than actual cost. But I think you have to factor in cost too. If you can only afford a 17,000 Hyundai, then yeah, a 65k E class is going to be somewhat prestigious to you. If you can afford that E class, then you may consider a Maybach prestigious. Notice I said afford. I think it's all relative. But I do agree that the luxury sedans of today show an amazing lack of originality in styling, especially for the money they ask for these cars. Only when you get into the "supercars" (Farrari, McClaren, Bugatti) do people get impressed anymore.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
No offense, bit I think you have to have way more money than brains to spend 50-60-100k more than a Ford or Chevy would cost to get the exact same functionality--getting from point A to point B. Heck, for $50k difference you could own enough oil company stock that your share of corporate earnings would pay your fuel bill every year for the rest of your life.

"Prestige" or "exclusive appeal?" I think it is more like "Hey, look at me! I have way more money than brains!!" I'm just sayin'.
Just sayin', you're often wrong.

Quote:
And a Timex looks like a Rolex because they are both, after all, watches. Often the difference between average and great is subtle, recognized only by connoisseurs or at least someone with an interest in the subject. A $30 bottle of wine Vs $100 bottle Vs $1000 bottle, regular wool Vs cashmere Vs the different grades of cashmere, a $1000 crystal chandelier Vs a $10,000 one, etc. Prestige is often lost on the majority, and that is ok. I dont particularly like the type of person who buys something solely for "prestige", but I respect people who buy things out of passion. Often these items carry "prestige" as a side effect.
This. For many of us, especially car guys, the differeces are not subtle, and they are important, as cars are much more than a way to get from point A to point B. Sometimes, they are about taking the longest, twistiest route from point A to point B. Sometimes they are about getting from point A to point B the fastest. Sometimes they are just about enjoying the drive from point A to wherever. Sometimes they are, like clothes, about expressing yourself. Sometimes they are a little bit of everything above.

My own BMW 7 series was used, but was bought for fun, style, and comfort. It cost very little to maintain, but was a great place to spend time:

I like cars like that. And I will have another one.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:29 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Just sayin', you're often wrong.

This. For many of us, especially car guys, the differeces are not subtle, and they are important, as cars are much more than a way to get from point A to point B. Sometimes, they are about taking the longest, twistiest route from point A to point B. Sometimes they are about getting from point A to point B the fastest. Sometimes they are just about enjoying the drive from point A to wherever. Sometimes they are, like clothes, about expressing yourself. Sometimes they are a little bit of everything above.

My own BMW 7 series was used, but was bought for fun, style, and comfort. It cost very little to maintain, but was a great place to spend time:

I like cars like that. And I will have another one.
VERY, VERY clean ride! I think you illustrate an important point also. The way the owner takes care of their ride, and the pride they show in maintaining it has a lot to do with the so-called prestige. I don't care what you own, if it's dirty and dinged up it ain't prestigous no more

Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Default BMW, Merc.,Lexus......no longer a car of prestige?

I've always laughed about the cachet Mercedes has here in the USA. In most other countries they are the equivalent of Chevrolet.

Anyway, virtually anyone with a decent job can afford to at least lease something with a Mercedes, Lexus, BMW or Infinity badge on it... not to mention you can get car loans 7 or 8 years long at low interest with decent credit, allowing you to buy something far more expensive than what would otherwise be possible. That waters down their "exclusivity" a whole lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive