Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,913 times

Advertisements

Rain = Giant 4x4 SUV? Man, if you hate how a FWD sedan handles rain, wait until you drive a RWD SUV in the rain (unless you plan to engage the 4X4 every time the skies open a bit, and even then I don't think it's going to give you the confidence you're really looking for).

If the high winds and low traction of a good ol' Southern rainstorm freak you out (I lived in NC for a couple of years, so I know what you're talking about), then you do NOT want anything with a large side profile, that is tall, that generally has poor traction, and that takes that much more time to stop because of the excess weight. That means you DON'T want an SUV, at least not a 'truck-like' one like the 4-Runner. Stick with FWD or AWD (not to be confused with 4WD); they'll give you the best traction in the wet. Honestly, your sedan is probably as good an option as any, but if you want something with a bit more sure-footedness, check out Subaru. They're AWD and very sure-footed but still handle and behave like a car and get much better MPG than the 4-Runner.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Well I just said a Certified Pre-Owned 2-3 Pick-Up truck would be a good idea if he has to Rush out of his home and throw lots of things in the bed and later clean up, Retrieve lost items, haul new building supplies and fuel to run a portable generator to run power tools to Rebuild after a twister hits.

Hard to beat a 2009-2013 Ford F-150 for being useful in all situations and to get you somewhere safe and also be there to help you and Rebuild and clean up as well as help other after one hits.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
The Optima will do fine in winds. Rain performance is based on tires, it will be fine. Plus, the Optima is built in Georgia, so support your state!

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Default Recommend a Vehicle For Me!

From what you've said about weather concerns, you might consider one of the compact all wheel drive SUVs like the RAV4, CRV, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester. The AWD systems really grip the road in tough weather, provided you have good tires.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well I just said a Certified Pre-Owned 2-3 Pick-Up truck would be a good idea if he has to Rush out of his home and throw lots of things in the bed and later clean up, Retrieve lost items, haul new building supplies and fuel to run a portable generator to run power tools to Rebuild after a twister hits.

Hard to beat a 2009-2013 Ford F-150 for being useful in all situations and to get you somewhere safe and also be there to help you and Rebuild and clean up as well as help other after one hits.

I'd so rock a 2013 F-150 FX4 Ecoboost with all of the goodies. Love that truck!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
I'd recommend a midsize wagon: Audi AllRoad, Toyota Venza, Subaru Outback, Cadillac CTS, Volvo XC, or even the larger Ford Flex.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
If it is AWD he wants, he can get a lot of AWD car for up to $30K lightly used.

Around here, I can find late model extremely low mileage (sub 10K) Mercedes C300 4 Motions, Volvo S60's, etc.

Some negotiating might get the OP into some brand new mainstream AWD sedans too, Charger, 300, Fusion

Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Also if you want something smaller than a F-150 and more family friendly with some of the Capability of a PU truck The late model Ford Explorer Sport Trac is a Good option for your needs IMO

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
I guess I am not getting your concerns about wind and rain.........most places have various weather issues and all kinds of cars do just fine. It isn't like you are a tornado chaser or anything like that.

There are a lot of really good cars being built today and it boils down to what features and style you like. I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, and probably every domestic car brand made, and have found most of them to be dependable, safe, and comfortable to use. I currently have a Cadillac and have had a bunch of those over the years with great success, but I can't think of many lemons I have had either.

As for the Kias, they really are a good value and seem to be a good car. Both of my Sons girlfriends have Kias and I was very impressed with the size and comfort of them. My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab and it does everything a car does but gives us great towing ability and a bed to haul stuff in. When you are in it you would think you are riding in a regular passenger car, it is that comfortable and plush.

Lots of great cars out there, you just have to narrow it down to your price range and the features you want.

Don

Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM

551 posts, read 1,121,607 times
I mean at least try to acknowledge the people trying to help you out. Its useless and rather rude if you're not giving feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive