Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:54 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
AAA tow service was certainly worth my money, as used it myself for both short and long distances multiple times. But here's a tip if you travel turnpikes or interstates a lot. There are some tricky rules related to towing a car from one state to another. Once while traveling alone at night from Cleveland to Pittsburgh something about my car started making me nervous. I decided to be on the safe side, so I exited, got a motel room for the night, and called AAA in the morning. The driver told me it's a good thing I did that as he wouldn't have been allowed to pick me up ON the Ohio Turnpike and tow me to Pennsylvania. But he was allowed to tow me from an off-turnpike site all the way to Pittsburgh, which was more than 80 miles. Go figure. But worth asking about when you sign up for that service.
Most State highways have a bidding system and award an exclusive contract to one company to tow on that highway (private towing companies), and AAA is not allowed to service on them. But on these highways, often they have 'breakdown' vehicles (don't know what they are called) that will do some services for free.

Re: no membership, they will NOT sign you up on the spot and send someone out. I locked my keys in my car at a family barbeque last summer, and when I called found my membership was no longer valid (miscommunication with my ex) and that was that. Luckily so many people have AAA that I was able to have a family member at the barbeque call and say I drove her there (passengers can use their own AAA card to get the car they are in towed, fixed, etc even if the car owner is not a member). I made sure to renew the very next day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:11 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I thought AAA did that but I found out that they don't. Anyone know of any?

Changing a flat takes 15 minutes max. Why can't you do it yourself?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:31 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most State highways have a bidding system and award an exclusive contract to one company to tow on that highway (private towing companies), and AAA is not allowed to service on them. But on these highways, often they have 'breakdown' vehicles (don't know what they are called) that will do some services for free.

Re: no membership, they will NOT sign you up on the spot and send someone out. I locked my keys in my car at a family barbeque last summer, and when I called found my membership was no longer valid (miscommunication with my ex) and that was that. Luckily so many people have AAA that I was able to have a family member at the barbeque call and say I drove her there (passengers can use their own AAA card to get the car they are in towed, fixed, etc even if the car owner is not a member). I made sure to renew the very next day!
They did save me once. Got a flat tire and was about six weeks out of contract. The service rep said that she'd be happy to renew my contract on the spot. Help showed up about thirty minutes later. Their service is excellent.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:33 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I can't do it because of those pesky (frozen?) lug nuts.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Really?
You can't imagine why everyone doesn't do this themselves?

I am able to do it myself, and do it when necessary--EXCEPT if I need to change a tire when I am dressed-up to go to work or to a social event. At times like that, road service is invaluable.

Some people, due to age or physical infirmity, are not able to do it.

Others would prefer to have someone do it for them, just as some people prefer to have others cook for them, or wash their clothing for them, or clean their house for them, or cut their grass for them, or....

One of the good things about living in a democracy is that you get to make these decisions for yourself.
It is good that you can--and do--change your tires yourself, but to assume that everyone else is capable of doing so, or that they want to do so is...just not realistic.

Last edited by Retriever; 06-10-2013 at 03:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 04:09 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
If you have a flat tire and need assistance, but you're not a member, and you call them up, they will hang up on you?
I don't know about AAA, but my parents always had Amoco motor club and I was covered as long as I lived with them. A couple of years later I was no longer covered but still had the card, I called once when I needed assistance while I was traveling and didn't know who to call and they were more than happy to dispatch a wrecker at my expense. I would think that AAA would do the same thing.

That being said, I wouldn't count on it. Spend the hundred bucks a year for the membership or don't travel.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Really?
You can't imagine why everyone doesn't do this themselves?

I am able to do it myself, and do it when necessary--EXCEPT if I need to change a tire when I am dressed-up to go to work or to a social event. At times like that, road service is invaluable.

Some people, due to age or physical infirmity, are not able to do it.

Others would prefer to have someone do it for them, just as some people prefer to have others cook for them, or wash their clothing for them, or clean their house for them, or cut their grass for them, or....

One of the good things about living in a democracy is that you get to make these decisions for yourself.
It is good that you can--and do--change your tires yourself, but to assume that everyone else is capable of doing so, or that they want to do so is...just not realistic.

Not to mention, if you've paid for the service you might as well use it.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
AAA doesn't have emergency divorce service so I'm confused why someone is asking about it in this thread. If you get a flat tire, though, they're pretty good.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Is she married? Is she happily dating?

What about you?
In all my years on here I honestly don't think I've ever seen someone try to take a thread in a direction more irrelevant to the original topic..........

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
In all my years on here I honestly don't think I've ever seen someone try to take a thread in a direction more irrelevant to the original topic..........
Are you bitter because you live in Keosauqua, Iowa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive