Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to replace the 350/TH350 in my Nova with either a 406 sbc or a 454-502 bbc, and (preferably) a Muncie 4 speed. Nothing wrong with what I have now, just it's not what I want.

Naturally I'd want to hear the engine run, maybe even "test drive" it in the vehicle it's in. Same for the transmission. My hopes were I would run across another car that maybe has a poor rusty body and a poor interior, but the engine and trans are strong, still installed, and I could check out before buying.

The problem is every 406, 454, 496, etc.....and every Muncie 4 speed I have come across....are all not in the car, some are said to be a fresh build, others have some use on them.

So now it appears I may have to opt for an engine/transmission not in the car that I can't hear/test drive. Last thing I'd want to do is install it and find out it's not any good. It's too easy to pass off an engine or a trans as "good" when they're not in the car and you can't check them.

Buying a new crate engine/transmission is sorta out of the question, even though I know it would be a better move, it's not feasible from a financial stand point. So what other way can i check and engine/trans before buying? Especially when there's no warranty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
that's a tough question, as it's not the easiest thing to plop a motor in the back of a truck and take it to a shop with an engine dyno either. Do any of these motor/trans come with any documentation from a reputable shop with their build specs or do they tend to be from individuals where you truly have to trust they did the job right?

Any car clubs in your area that you may be able to get some feedback or leads from?

Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Yup, I have. A long time ago when I was struggling to just put food in my belly I bought a $1000 motorcycle for transportation to my job (a good job mind you) that was 48 miles away. Heck, I *Borrowed* money to buy that motorcycle, and it ran for a whopping 7 miles before seizing up. Thankfully, the seller had some integrity and offered to pay the cost of a replacement engine if I payed labor (or did the replacement myself, which I did). So I found a used engine out of a wrecked bike... no way to hear it run, had to take the sale on faith.

I *did* temper that with a through inspection, or as much as was possible. Pulled the valve covers (OHC) to check all the rocker arms/valve train, ran it through a few rotations by hand, verified oil, and then did a cold compression test by jumping the starter. I was satisfied it was sound mechanically and took it home with me, it was a $500 engine (and I owned a buddy for the ride up and back with his truck). By the time I'd sold the bike 8 years later, I'd put 118,000 miles on that engine. Blew the head gasket somewhere along the way, but that wasn't a big deal to fix (that was in the 70k mile range).

I'll be the first to admit that my one experience could have been a fluke. But honestly you're buying something mechanical. If it turns over by hand, you at least have something you can work with. I sure as H@ll would not pay "freshly rebuilt" pricing without receipts proving it, and wouldn't buy something that the seller rebuilt themselves unless it was their profession. But that's because I've gone through some school education to be a factory certified mechanic (the factories provide the best certification in the world of motorcycles) ~ I've SEEN what home mechanics do with their tools, and on occasion it's almost made me weep.

Just do your shopping as if you will have to completely rebuild the engine and tranny unless you can find one that proves otherwise.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I have done both from other members of my car club. With the transmissions, I knew they were used transmissions and cold last a day or years. The engine was rebuilt by a friend in the club. I traded him for a cherry picker and some jack stands. It lasted the rest of the time I had the car. One transmission lasted three years, the other only a few months. Luckily it is pretty easy to swap out a transmission on that car.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:37 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Sure, many times. Sold 'em that way, too (out of the car when parting a car out). And my experience is much like Brian_M's.

Last one I bought was a $400 BMW 4.4 liter V8 that was shipped to me from across the country. Assumed it needed some cleanup and was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
I've had a shop source a used auto trans for my G35 when the trans crapped out. No problems 30k miles down the line when I sold it.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
what i do is buy the engine/trans, and then take it home and put them on the engine stand and check them out. i spend a few dollars in gaskets and misc items to make sure the bottom end is in decent condition, assuming i cant hear the engine run.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
not knowing your location, BE Careful with something that has been sitting outdoors. Trannies get full of water (usually through tranny hole or similar.)

I have had the best luck through private parties, but Junkyards have replaced bad units (minus labor... mine).

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
I've done it a few times but never where I spent more money than I could justify losing if I wound up getting hosed. I don't recall ever having any issues.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:43 PM

361 posts, read 725,120 times
I know a very good and HONEST mechanic in my area and he's been fixing our cars for a while now. 3years ago he got us a second hand engine for $500; For a 97 mazda.

Car is still working fine. So far, we haven't had any issues with the engine.

So I guess if you know a mechanic you can trust, he can help you get one. Hopefully at a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive