Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best auto parts store?
Autozone 29 21.17%
Advance 16 11.68%
Carquest 5 3.65%
NAPA 56 40.88%
O'reilly 24 17.52%
Pep Boys 7 5.11%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
WorldPac.
but you cannot buy from them unless you own a shop.
WorldPac is now owned by Advanced. Most euro customers can find the exact same parts WorldPac sells by going to places like Autohausaz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,750 times
Carquest/worldpac because they have parts in stock that the Volvo stealership doesn't. Advance auto for the blonde eye candy.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
None of them really because they all pretty much sell bottom of the barrell chinese made garbage parts. I order online from RockAuto most of the time for name brand quality parts. Even if they don't have parts made in the USA at least you can get reputable brands. I would never put a part called duralast on my vehicle

Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
None of them really because they all pretty much sell bottom of the barrell chinese made garbage parts. I order online from RockAuto most of the time for name brand quality parts. Even if they don't have parts made in the USA at least you can get reputable brands. I would never put a part called duralast on my vehicle

That's funny because Rockauto is one of the biggest peddlers of Chinese parts. I bought Moog balljoints, struts mounts and tierods and they were all made in China. The strut mounts were junk after about a 1000 miles and the outer balljoints lasted only 1500 miles longer.

Some of the biggest brands in the automotive industry have given their name to the Chinese to make a buck.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
A new Autozone recently opened near my home. When I needed a 3 inch sealed beam fog light for my motorhome, I decided to give them a try.
I showed the counter person the old light, saying "I need one of those!"
He immediately went to the computer, asking "What is it out of?"
When I told him, it was a motorhome, he said "I don't have parts for those!" He didn't even bother to look at the numbers on the bulb!
Since he obviously knows next to nothing about finding parts without the computer program, I have not been back, and will never go back!
Besides, if he does not have motorhome parts, he obviously would not have parts for the Ford V10 F53 chassis, either!

I voted for NAPA, although I use O'Reilly often, as well.
By the way, the counter person at O'Reilly found the bulb without going to the computer...

Last edited by Redraven; 08-27-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 10:18 AM

274 posts, read 252,837 times
NAPA is my fave, but there's not one near me anymore. Advance is right up the street, and they loan tools.

Never been to Auto Zone, Car quest, or O'Reillys. I like the selection of the "help yourself" items at Pep Boys. I agree that the counter help at PB are generally slack jawed drones; that has been my experience.

There's a local chain around here that has good counter help. It's the kind of place where most of the stuff is in the back, and they don't carry much in the way of "consumer goods". I go there for calipers, master cylinders, stuff like that.

I usually drive old cars so I get a lot of stuff from LKQ "U-pull". I like rockauto.com's selection and prices, but I'm still a little hesitant to order from them. They had the best price on new struts for my Lumina, but I wrecked the car before I could order the struts.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:04 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
To answer the OP's question, I would say it depends on what you want. If it is antifreeze or motor oil or wiper blades, then it does not matter where you buy -- just go with which one has the lowest prices.

If you are fixing up a car in expectation of selling it, then again it hardly matters -- just go with the cheapest prices.

But if you are buying a starter or alternator or front axles or wheel bearings, and you want the car to last as long as possible, then buy from NAPA. You may pay more, but you won't have to replace the same parts again for a long, long time.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:47 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
If you can wait a couple of days, Ebay is your best bet. Just make sure and check the seller's feedback beforehand.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you can wait a couple of days, Ebay is your best bet. Just make sure and check the seller's feedback beforehand.
Be especially cautious if the eBay seller is located in North Carolina. There's a very shady outfit there that uses several different company names. Their parts are horrible so it's "buyer beware."

Old 08-27-2016, 06:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
The best auto parts store is the one you don't have to go into and it's Rockauto online. Pretty much everything they sell is way cheaper then the parts stores and they sell name brand OEM quality parts. The stores are all shifting to store brands which are garbage. I could care less about warranties. Who wants to do things over and over again? I buy quality and do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive