Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:50 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
On the highway, however, any goose or other animal is fair game. I am not risking an accident by swerving around them or hitting my breaks. It's better for them to be roadkill then me.

My point exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
And how about those people that can't maintain a constant speed. 60, then down to 50, then up to 62, back down to 50. I usually get frustrated and eventually floor it to get around them.

Even without cruise control I can still keep my speed within a few mph.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Inevitably, when I am in heavy traffic, I get stuck behind the person who likes to leave 30-100 or more feet between themselves and the car in front of them.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:17 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
My point exactly.
If I can stop, I'm going to stop. If the person behind me is too close, that's on them, you are supposed to maintain space to allow for sudden stops ahead. When I've had anything dart into the road in front of me, it's been my automatic reaction to stop, I don't have time to decide if I should swerve or stop. If the animal is standing still, I'm going to slow to a crawl until I'm around him safely. I'm most definitely not going to hit an animal on purpose or if it can be helped.

My new pet peeve is in my town, which is very crowded with both pedestrians and cars in summer. They have started this year putting little sandwich signs in the middle of the road at every block with a sigh saying "STOP for pedestrians in crosswalk". So a few times now as I'm driving the last few miles home from work, I've been behind someone who comes to a complete stop at these signs, every block, even though there's no sign of pedestrians. I am in my car yelling to myself "It's not a stop sign, you don't have to stop unless there is someone getting ready to cross the road!!"

I've also been behind tourists in the summer who stop at each cross street when the other side is crossing and has the stop sign, not us. They think they are being extra safe, in case someone darts across, but I think they are confusing the he** out of everyone and making it less safe.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If I can stop, I'm going to stop. If the person behind me is too close, that's on them, you are supposed to maintain space to allow for sudden stops ahead. When I've had anything dart into the road in front of me, it's been my automatic reaction to stop, I don't have time to decide if I should swerve or stop. If the animal is standing still, I'm going to slow to a crawl until I'm around him safely. I'm most definitely not going to hit an animal on purpose or if it can be helped.
Exactly - many tailgaters don't even know they do it.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM

219 posts, read 658,259 times
- tailgating
- pointless passing
- people who drive very dangerously in city/town traffic just to get a few cars ahead.
- Whipping out into traffic and then not getting up to speed.
- inconsistent speed

- Texting while driving - This one really pisses me off. How can people be so clueless and selfish? Staring down at your lap while driving 55+ mph. Stuff happens quickly at 80+ Ft/s!

Talking on your phone, meh I don't care, not much more dangerous than the cops messing with their radios or typing on their computers...but texting "so like OMG r u going to becca's house 2nite lol?" and taking your eyes off the road for an extended period of time...

Old 07-17-2013, 04:31 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
My pet peeve is the "I don't know how to get in line and wait my turn" drivers in the DC area. I would guess that a high percentage will go around an try to cut in line at the last possible moment. Today on the Key Bridge. I waited and waited to get my turn to go left on M st/Canal Rd. I would guess that a hundred cars came by in the right lane and forced their way in before I got to the intersection. This happens everywhere in this area. Yes, I have done it a few times in the past, but I decided not to do it anymore. I don't know how long I can keep myself from doing it though. Help!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Inevitably, when I am in heavy traffic, I get stuck behind the person who likes to leave 30-100 or more feet between themselves and the car in front of them.
Thats a good thing to do to keep the traffic flowing behind you.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 PM

231 posts, read 294,670 times
mini van, soccer mom, cell phone going 45 in a 35.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
I'm driving at a safe speed in the right hand lane and there is plenty of space directly behind me. A driver who wants to make a right turn at the next corner speeds past me in the left lane, pulls over in front of me and slows down so he can make his right hand turn. Grrrrrr......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive